1st time to Disney in Dec - Need Opinions

Tabascoman

Earning My Ears
This is the best Website/Forum ever. I have found so much informaiton already but I wanted to get some feedback and advice on what I have scheduled/planned so far. We will be driving in Saturday Night (Dec 15th) and driving out Tuesday morning (Dec 35th). This is our 1st trip to Disney since I was a kid and it will probably be a while before we return so we are trying to do it all!!!!

We are staying at the Hard Rock Hotel Saturday night to take advantage of the 2-day pass at Universal/Island for 1 day price!!! We are staying the rest of the time at the Marriot/Courtyard for $29/night.

Sun - Islands of Adventure
Mon - Epcot
Tues - MGM
Wed - Magic kingdom
Thurs - Universal
Fri - Busch Gardens
Sat - Animal Kingdom
Sun - ?
Mon - Rest/Pack
Tues - Drive Home

Could you please provide some input/opinions to this schedule as well as answer these questions/concerns?

1. Are any of the waterparks open during December and is it too cold to enjoy tehm?
2. What parks should we hit the first 5-6 days before the x-mas crowd gets there?
3. Does it matter which days we visit the Disney parks now that early entry is cancelled anyway?
4. Can I reserve Proproty Seating for dinners/shows even though I am not staying in a Disney Resort?
5. We are probably only going to hit the Mickey Parade...do I need to make reservations now?
6. What other thing should I consider reserving now?

I would appreciate any/all input on this.

yes blizzard beach is open. It depends upon the weather sometimes the temperature is in the 70's and the swimming is great, last year it was in the 40's.

the MK. just don't go on Friday or Saturday and I have lately heard on Sunday

it depends upon the schedule when you get there - remember it changes on a weekly basis - so ee might be back - you just don't know

I think so - anyone can reserve at 60 days out - check on the restuarant board on this site to be sure

don't know about your questions

if you want to do any of the cruises I would make them now. Horseback riding can be made at 30 days.

here is a site that might be able to help
http://home.twcny.rr.com/pscalc/psfaq.html

Dec. 2000 we really wanted to try a water park but it was just too cold to enjoy. Disney keeps one open thru winter and services the other - last year Typhoon opened on 12/23 and then Blizzard closed, so only one is open at any time. It was an especially cold December, it was always warm in the hotel pools but I just thought standing around and walking up steps to rides would be uncomfortable.

Schedule your time at Universal to take advantage of the front of the line (FOTL) access, staying at HRH gets you that and I believe it is good on your checkout day also. So while a guest at HRH you may want to hit both parks and get to all the long line rides.

As for the Disney parks, no matter which one you select go early and use fast pass. We also liked to "preview" a park at the end of the day, e.g. leave MK and visit MGM, get a map and hit a couple of rides and get our bearings - park hopper tix make it accessible and parking is good at any lot once you pay for one. It also made it feel like we hit most parks 2 times.

Good luck

John H

I would strongly suggest that you try to take in the Candlelight Processional at Epcot. They used to offer three performances a night but I have read they may cut down to two a night some days. You can get a dinner package that insures you get a seat for the performance. I would strongly suggest doing this. I have done it 4 times and it is great. You pick an Epcot restaurant for dinner and pre-purchase a package, which is not too expensive for what you get. Then you get a reserved seat for the CP performance, plus a 15% discount off all purchases at Epcot the day of your performance. Also you don't want to miss the Osborne Family Lights at MGM. They are amazing. If you can make it work, I would take in Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party at MK too. It does require an extra ticket but it sure is a magical evening. Since you have not been to WDW for several (or many?) years, I would urge you to take in everything possible. Christmas is a great time to be in WDW - be sure to experience everything you can. Enjoy!

I think you're making a big mistake not spending two days at the MK and two days at Epcot. A day at either one of those parks won't even scratch the surface. It seems really redundant to me to do Busch Gardens AND IOA AND the AK. Busch Gardens is like a cross between IOA and the AK. Likewise, it seems like a waste of time/money to do US and MGM. They both cover the same territory. You'll spend one day at the MK, for example, not even see half of it, and then when people ask what you thought of it, you'll say, "I don't know what the big deal is. We didn't think there was much there." At the very least, at least plan on spending another half day at each park on your open "?" day. Keep in mind that there is no place on Earth quite like Disney. On a scale of 1 to 10, Busch Gardens is a 6. WDW is 106.:smooth:

Disnee Dad Says....................................................................... You will die with this plan!! You can not do it all! Therefore Busch Gardens, you are the weakest link GOODBYE! Next, unless your entire family are professional athletes, you can not do parks seven days in a row! I assume your two day pass at IOA/US is good for both parks for two days within a seven day span, based on your plan. Ok you need to do some hunting for information, because I am making some assumptions. I assume on Sunday your FOTL is good for both parks on that day, and I assume you can go back six days later, according to your plan. Let's get down to planning!! Sunday: Hit both IOA and USF and catch every FOTL ride they have! Pound it hard, so when you go back on Friday you won't feel desperate. Monday: EPCOT is a good choice, because you are changing hotels, and you can get situated at the new place, with no pressure to get up early because EPCOT opens at 10:00!! Hit it hard, because EPCOT is not a one day park. Stay late, and enjoy it all! Tuesday:" I am so sore from all the parks, and walking, I need a break!" Yes, Tuesday is a day off. You can do downtown disney, eat at a reasonably priced restaraunt. Regroup. Wednesday: Magic Kingdom!! Hit it hard, this is not a one day park. Thursday: MGM. Good day to do it, as always hit all the big stuff you can! Friday: Go back to USF/IOA and get anything you missed, and go again on any special ride you loved. Saturday:"This park thing is killing every muscle in my body, I need a day off!" Sunday: You must do AK, and do all that you can, hit as much as you can. Monday: You huddle sunday night with the family and decide what attractions they want to do on Monday, with a park hopper pass you can visit all the parks.I think I got you covered!

My family aren't athletes, but we do the Disney or die runs every year several times. We're going to Orlando for 10 days in December. Doing 3 days at Universal the rest at Disney. WE know the parks can be done, but it takes planning. First get yourself a Birnbaums book at the disney store, or online at wdwig.com. Map out he parks, the rides. Know where you are going and in what order. Frommers has a book that has Disneyworld, Universal and others. Read about the rides so you know which ones interest you. Then plan plan plan. Write an itinarary for each park. Start with one day for each park. Figure in one or two priority seating meals. Sit down meals. You will need the break. If you're going to a resort for the meal, or a different park, allow 50 minutes for transportation. I mean this one, better early than late. You can do dining reservations at Universal also. So you have your weapon. A plan in hand, you've memorized the park maps, you know your routes to rides and which rides to do. Now the final touch, be flexible, take a nap if you need too. It's usually in the 80's in December. It can wear you down. And plan to have atleast one makeup day to go back and catch what you may have missed Don't forget about parades and fireworks. Always use the fast passes. Use front of line privelages at Universal. Plan for time to park, and cost to park if needed.
We'll be there December 20th to 29th:

day one Epcot
day two Mgm
day three Magic Kingdom
day four Animal Kingdom
day five Universal studios
day six Magic Kingdom
day seven Universal Island of Adventure
day eight Mgm
day nine Universal Studios And Island
day ten Epcot and Downtown Disney

I appreciate all of the input...more is welcomed as well...

...I have a few more questions to ask:

1. Is it better to see the MK fireworks at MK or one of the cruises? Is there a diff. between a cruise from the Wilderness Lodge and/or the Polonesian and/or the Grand Floridian?

2. Since we were staying off Property (Marriot) we were planning on eating afterwards/offsite to save some money...but we also don't want to miss out on a good WDW restaurant experience...can you recommend a few good ones that we should reserve soon for Priority Seating?

3. Should we reserve Proirity Seating Package for Epcot/Illuminations? if so which restaurant?

4. Besides the Epcot Illimunations Restaurant Package, the MK Fireworks Cruise and the Mickey X-Mas party...what other reservations should I be making?

Definitely take a break in between. We did the parks 4 days in a row and by the afternoon of the fourth day we were beat.

Take a look at the menus on this board or www.wdwig.com see what restaurants has the food that most appeals to you. The ones that we have tried that we like are Ohanas at the polynesian, Le Cellier at Epcot, the hoop de doo dinner show

I don't know of any epcot illumination package.
The mk fireworks cruise, there isn't any food on that unless you go to level one which includes snacks, soft drinks and sandwiches ($200) for up to 4 people.

If you don't want to spend the money on the cruise you can see the fireworks from the beach at the polynesian, the top floor of the Contemporary or the beach at fort wilderness without going into the park

We find that we can do parks virtually everyday provided we get adequete sleep/rest at night. If we're up late one night, we just refuse to try to get an early start the next day because everybody gets a little on the grumpy side. Instead, we'll sleep in the extra hour or so and do what we can the next day. We find that 8 hours at a park when we are well-rested is MUCH more fun than 9 hours wishing we had gone to bed earlier the night before.

You probably already have an idea of how much rest you need, so as long as you stick to that, you'll be ok.

Can't help too much with your specific questions, but I can say that we enjoyed Fulton's Crabhouse at DD, and Chefs of France at Epcot.

Here's your iternary as you have it:
Sun - Islands of Adventure
Mon - Epcot
Tues - MGM
Wed - Magic kingdom
Thurs - Universal
Fri - Busch Gardens
Sat - Animal Kingdom
Sun - ?
Mon - Rest/Pack
Tues - Drive Home

Here's my revision with notes:

Sun: Epcot (Quieter and less crowded. I've always found a serene atmosphere here on Sundays)
Mon: IoA (Less crowded as it is first day of the week)
Tues: MK (not the best day to go, but it fits in the schedule)
Wed: Universal (Just filled in the blank)
Thur.: MK (get there before the weekend crowds start)
Fri: Epcot (you have to do it at least twice!)
Sat- MGM (not as bad as MK on the weekends)
Sun - do Busch Gardens if you must or leave open to visit a favorite park or park hop
Mon-AK Instead of resting and packing, take leisurely strolls through the paths of AK and just enjoy the whole atmosphere. AK closes early (an hour before sunset) so you will still have time to pack and get a good night's sleep before you head home unless you are like me and head over to Epcot to see Illuminations LOL!!

We just never do the other parks. We get so much out of WDW that we don't want to waste the few precious days we have together on vacation anywhere else. I know I'm in a majority when I say this, but the other parks just don't do as much for me as WDW's.

Have a great time anyway you go!

catwho,

Just wonderding, which day do you think is the best for MK? You say Tuesday is not the best day, I've been reading not Friday, Saturday or Sunday. Mondays used to be bad. I want to spend 2 whole days there. Which would the best 2 days be?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter