• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

1st Trip To Disney Land - Help

RESEARCH

Earning My Ears
We are planning a trip in late April and have never been to CALIFORNIA yet alone DISNEYLAND. We recently have visted DISNEY WORLD 3 times in the last 6 years so my wife has had enough DISNEY experience but we have 2 chidren and I want to show them the original. WHAT IS THE BEST PLAN.

Arriving LAX. Should we stay on site or are the "GOOD NEIGHBOR" hotels just
as good. We are considering HOWARD JOHNSON'S or EMBASSY SUITES (we could use the room). Is 3 days enough or would 4 be better.

Should we visit HOLLYWOOD and do all the tourist stuff or I thought go
SOUTH to San Diego and see the towns along the southern coast.

I can not make DISNEY the sole focus of this trip but would love to maximize
my time in ANAHEIM.

Does the CITYPASS make the most sense ? THANKS FOR THE HELP.

Well I can answer a few questions. The Howard Johnson's is a very nice, older hotel. It is about a 7-10 minute walk from the park. The rooms are oversized, come with a refrigerator and are very clean. They have lovely grounds and two pools and interior corridors. If you have younger kids they will enjoy the spray turtle jets at the main pool area. Since you are planning late April before the 50th kicks off you may be able to still get a good rate but I wouldn't wait too much longer. I am pretty certain however that the new parades and fireworks won't be happening until after May 5. We prefer the Disney owned properties, especially the Disneyland Hotel. You will pay a higher rate that is certain but the magic is worth it to us on most of our trips. Unlike WDW properties you won't have to take buses or boats, you just walk up Downtown Disney and in around 10 minutes you are at the parks. You can also take the monorail (maybe 2 minute walk from Disneyland Hotel, 5 minutes from Paradise Pier) and that will take you directly into Tomorrowland. Paradise Pier is the cheapest of the three Disney properties and the farthest from the parks but still very close. I have stayed at DLH and PP and can tell you that both have nice large rooms, great pool areas and are lots of fun to stay at. The Grand Californian is the nicest and most expensive (very similar to Wildnerness Lodge in theming and decor). Grand Californian is literally right inside the California Adventure park and has its own separate entrance into DCA. It really comes down to how much you want to pay for your lodging. You will certainly enjoy the Howard Johnson's but if you are willing to pay more you will get that Disney magic. The onsite hotels are not any closer to the parks however from Howard Johnson's and some of the other offsite hotels nearby. As far as Disneyland itself, it is smaller and more easy to navigate than WDW. 3 days is good, we like to have 4 or 5 days to see both parks with ease and repeat the favorites, as well as have time to relax at the pool and shop at DTD. I can't answer your questions about other things to do in the area, we just can't ever seem to tear ourselves away from Disneyland when we go and stay there the whole time! You will enjoy the original park I promise, if you go in knowing it will have a lot of the same experiences you have at WDW but in a more downsized setting. For instance, I much prefer Disneyland's Fantasyland and think the two shows at Disneyland and DCA (Snow White and Aladdin) are superior to the shows at WDW. WDW is much bigger and there is more to do but it can be overwhelming. Disneyland is such a great place to enjoy the magic without as much to worry with. Have fun with your planning!

It's purely a matter of preference as to staying on site or not. There are many hotels in VERY close proximity of Disneyland that make all of them convienent. I really like the DH and am utterly spoiled by it.

3 days in the resort should be plenty, Disneyland can easily take up two days if you are leisurely about it, and DCA is a much slower paced place that will be seen easily in a day. I usually like doing Disneyland, DCA, Disneyland to give myself a bit of a break in the action.

Some the of the Hollywood stuff may be not worth it. If you want to see a television show taped, you can contact Audiences Unlimited. If you want to see Jay Leno then plan on spending most of the day in line. Walk of Fame is in a bad part of the city and walking it is not the best experience. Universal Studios is cool but I hear that the Florida version is better as a theme park.

San Diego has the best Zoo in California. Plus a great selection of museums. The coastal region is pretty cool as well.

Just my $.02

I don't think that you mentioned how old the children are.. but my kids LOVE LegoLand.. it is very kids friendly, and much more relaxed the DL .( it is the 1/2 way point from Disney to San Diego) The San Diego zoo is world famous. SeaWorld is fun too.

Could I just ask... do they have Early entry??

TIA!
Sue

I am pondering the same questions for our Oct. trip. I have a DD9, DS4 and DD2. I was originally thinking 5 days at DL, but now I think the City Pass would be a good deal. I haven't been to Knott's Berry Farm since I was 7. Do you think much has changed? :rotfl: I also think that the little ones would appreciate Sea World and SD Zoo more than Hollywood and Universal. Someone please tell me if I'm wrong. If we do go south, does anyone have hotel recomendations?

I would make San Diego over Hollywood anytime. I would suggest driving to San Diego, stopping at Legoland in Carlsbad for the day. Leave legoland and finish driving to San Diego. The next day, either do the Zoo, Wild Animal Park or Sea World (or all 3 if you have the time).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter