**2010** Epcot Food & Wine Festival ENDED 11/14. 2011 FESTIVAL 9/30-11/13

Does anyone know what people usually wear for the PFTS? I was thinking of a cute dress but didn't know if a pair of jeans would be sufficient.

I leave in 1 day (plus a few hours) and I can't wait to enjoy. I hope that Thurs/Fri day and maybe Sat/Sun early aren't too busy at the festival.

You will see a few people in park clothes (shorts and t shirts), but the majority will be wearing "resort casual". I usually wear a cocktail dress or dressy sundress, and my DH wears Docker type pants and an open collared shirt, like a guayabera.

My DDs and I were shocked at the park attire we saw this year! We look at the PFTS as a chance to dress up a bit, as Kteacher says. Most of the people standing around us waiting to get in were in shorts and tanks. There were certainly those who were dressed more "resort casual" as we were, but this year's crowd on 10/9 wins the worst dressed award from us.

My suggestion for weekend eating around the World is to be there at rope drop and get as much done as you possibly can before the walkways are clogged. ;)

My suggestion for weekend eating around the World is to be there at rope drop and get as much done as you possibly can before the walkways are clogged. ;)

I agree. We usually start at 11AM on a Saturday and stop around 1:30ish and head back to the resort to relax at the pool. We rarely go back on a Saturday night, but Sunday night never seems to be an issue.

For dress at PFTS, we were there on 10/2. I saw everything from shorts and tee shirts to formal dresses & suits. We wore nice-park attire and think we fit right in, not under or over dressed. I wore dark jean capris and a collared top, my Mom wore a blouse & capris, my fiancé wore khaki (cargo, ugh) shorts & a polo, my dad wore khaki dress shorts and a polo. So nicer than what we would have worn to the park that day, but nothing fancy. The best advice I can give is to wear comfy shoes, leave the heels at home.

Was there this past Saturday. It was awful ... the crowds I mean. Shoulder to shoulder. So bad we just left. The last 5 times we were there (three times last year, twice the year before) the crowd was nothing like this. Was something special going on this past weekend???

I had read online that this past Saturday was an unofficial gay days at the Food and Wine Festival so we did Animal Kingdom and on Sunday went to IOA. We went Monday to Epcot and found it very doable.

I suggest completely avoiding Saturday nights at the festival (assuming the weather is good) unless you have an ADR in the park or are going to Party for the Senses. At this point I am talking about ANY Saturday. If you can't get there when they open WS at 11, expect long lines for food, drinks, and bathrooms in WS, and large crowds.

My DDs and I were shocked at the park attire we saw this year! We look at the PFTS as a chance to dress up a bit, as Kteacher says. Most of the people standing around us waiting to get in were in shorts and tanks. There were certainly those who were dressed more "resort casual" as we were, but this year's crowd on 10/9 wins the worst dressed award from us.

The temps have been a bit cooler than usual this year BUT the sun was very very hot with no clouds in the sky. We are locals but we have to pay for parking ($14) every time we go so when we go to Disney, we usually go for the entire day. We were going to the Party for the Senses but spent all day in the park to maximize our time and money. So, yes, we were wearing casual, comfortable clothes. It's not like we could zip back to a resort to change clothes beforehand. If I was staying onsite and could get back and forth easily, I'd probably think it was fun to get a little dressy, too. But I'm not going to carry around extra clothes all day and then change, either. I don't even notice how others are dressed at the Party. I'm too busy eating and drinking my way around the room. :)

We still had a good time overall, of course, and the Party itself was great (and oddly enough, not all that crowded).

I decided to go to the 10/16 Party at the last minute after being talked into it by some friends, who were arguing with other friends who refused to go because they found the 2009 Parties ridiculously overcrowded.

I had no trouble talking to any of the chefs or presenters (something the non-attending friends said was impossible the last two or three years), even at some length, and seldom had to wait to be served anything. It took a little scouting to find a table, but I did have a seat when I wanted it.

Does anyone know if the Parties get more or less crowded as the Festival goes on? How crowded is the last Party, usually? I now have a group of local friends who, after hearing me rave about it, want to take a road trip to the last Party on 11/13.

I found the Friday (10/15) crowds from about 11:00 onward surprisingly bad also.

I suggest completely avoiding Saturday nights at the festival (assuming the weather is good) unless you have an ADR in the park or are going to Party for the Senses. At this point I am talking about ANY Saturday. If you can't get there when they open WS at 11, expect long lines for food, drinks, and bathrooms in WS, and large crowds.

It sounds like that's great advice, especially this year. Alas, we had no choice since we were going to the Party and can only afford the time and money (for parking and such) to go one day once in awhile ... so Saturday it had to be for us. Otherwise, we probably would have picked Sunday to attend. We are talking about trying a different F&W event next year on a different day so we can make that our full day at the F&W. We've done the Party 3 times now so we thought it might be fun to try something different (we can only afford to do one of the more expensive events).

I decided to go to the 10/16 Party at the last minute after being talked into it by some friends, who were arguing with other friends who refused to go because they found the 2009 Parties ridiculously overcrowded.

I had no trouble talking to any of the chefs or presenters (something the non-attending friends said was impossible the last two or three years), even at some length, and seldom had to wait to be served anything. It took a little scouting to find a table, but I did have a seat when I wanted it.

Does anyone know if the Parties get more or less crowded as the Festival goes on? How crowded is the last Party, usually? I now have a group of local friends who, after hearing me rave about it, want to take a road trip to the last Party on 11/13.

I found the Friday (10/15) crowds from about 11:00 onward surprisingly bad also.

I don't know if it's really predictable. Last year we attended the Party on 10/31 and it wasn't very crowded at all. The year before I can't remember which one we attended but it was incredibly crowded. It was lucky that my companion and I had ECVs or we would have never had any place to sit. Last year, we had no trouble finding a table and this year it was about the same. One of the CMs told us right before we entered that it wasn't all that crowded at the one we were attending, and they were right. Last year we managed to meet and talk to and even have photos with Cat Cora. I was disappointed that Jamie Deen didn't attend this year while we were there. We did get to see his demo, at least.

I am leaving on thurs for a quick trip to food festival. We are going to festival on fri and i am concerned about crowds after reading these reports. We are planning to get there at 11. Does anyone have any advice?

Don't know if anyone mentioned this but PP asked why it was so crowded last weekend, may have been some extra crowd due to Monday being a holiday.

I'm going for 2 seminars this coming Sunday, anyone got any comments on how Sunday afternoon crowds have been?

DisDeac

Don't know if anyone mentioned this but PP asked why it was so crowded last weekend, may have been some extra crowd due to Monday being a holiday.

I'm going for 2 seminars this coming Sunday, anyone got any comments on how Sunday afternoon crowds have been?

DisDeac

The holiday was last Monday, not this Monday. It was on the 11th. That's one reason I picked the weekend of the 16th for the Party as opposed to the 9th. Guess I outsmarted myself! :laughing:

I was very surprised at the crowds on Sat 10/16 not only in Epcot but at DTD as well. I was at the park for rope drop, and the crowd was surprising even then. There was a bigger crowd than usual hurrying toward Soarin' and then by a little after 10:00 there were people waiting at the rope to France. I went over to look around since I didn't want to do the rides that day and didn't realized they only let you go so far. By 1:00 the crowds and the lines were getting pretty bad and it got steadily worse, so much so there was really no place to set something down to eat (especially around Mexico).

I thought the sandwich in Puerto Rico was very good as was the cherry colada although $7.50 for that tiny drink seemed really high when you could have a much larger margarita across the way for $8.99

I also enjoyed the short ribs in France, bison chili in US, bread pudding at the Hops & barley stand, and thought the lava cake in Ireland to be good but very over priced for the size portion.

Okay were the spaetzle, just too greasy for me but good and the sausage in a pretzel roll in Germany it was a bit bland, they forgot to put mustand on my plate and the pretzel seemed a bit hard, and fondue at the charcuterie just because it tasted more of alcohol than I expected and the bread was terribly stale from sitting out and 2 of the 5 potatoes so tiny that they were shriveled and hard.

I was surprised that I didn't care for the filet in South Africa, I got an end slice that was very tough and difficult to cut or chew, the Serrano ham, etc in Spain because the 1/2 the chunk of cheese was dried out, the bread was stale and plain, not tomato, and the ham was served balled up and looked like it had been chewed and spit out. I also didn't care for the highly recommended ravioli because it was very dry, bland and cold with coagulated mozzarella on top and the meatballs that were so tough and served in bitter sauce. I have eaten many meatballs from friends moms who are off the boat from Italy and have never had anything that dense before.

If I ever go again I would definitely avoid a Saturday. I only tried 1/2 what I originally wanted to try because it got so crowded and the quality of samples seemed off probably due to the overwhelming crowds. The CMs did their best to keep the lines moving and did a great job, it was more trying to find a place to sit, stand or walk. I was very surprised because I thought nights after 4 were when it usually was at it's worse. I wonder if it actually got worse last Saturday at night that it already was.

If I were to go back, is there a day of the week that is less busy? Is Friday usually the same as Saturday?

Wow, the crowd thing is concerning me. Due to issues beyond our control, we are only able to be there for the final day. I was hoping to spend that day simply noshing around the world; kinda figured we'd be able to do that no problem. It sounds like we'll be lucky to get some tastes in (all the while entertaining our 5y.o. daughter).

Ah well.

10/16 was a good bit more crowded than 10/9 (the Saturday before the holiday). Will see how 10/23 turns out.

Fridays - Fridays are fine early on. The crowds pick up in the late afternoon/evening. I assume there are a number of locals with annual passes (therefore not having to pay for parking) who will drop by after work hours to eat or see the concert, adding to the afternoon crowds. Not only that, but some of the contribution to Saturday crowds was the big event at World Showplace -the Party for the Senses. This year, there is a big Friday event at the World Showplace as well (the 3D Dessert Party). However, this week and next week the dessert party will be held Thursday night, not Friday night.

I have local friends who are anticipating unprecedented concert crowds to see Rick Springfield next month. I believe he is appearing the 10th and 11th. The 11th is a holiday (Veterans Day).

Wow, the crowd thing is concerning me. Due to issues beyond our control, we are only able to be there for the final day. I was hoping to spend that day simply noshing around the world; kinda figured we'd be able to do that no problem. It sounds like we'll be lucky to get some tastes in (all the while entertaining our 5y.o. daughter).

Ah well.

Don't let it bother you I was still able to do well on the busy Saturday last weekend. Just go around twice, have a clear idea of what you want to try and wouldn't mind waiting in a long line for.

Also for the 5 year old there is the Kim Possible thing, I believe its like a scavenger hunt of sorts. I don't have kids but the kids that I saw partcipating seemed to love it.

Does anyone know what people usually wear for the PFTS? I was thinking of a cute dress but didn't know if a pair of jeans would be sufficient.

I leave in 1 day (plus a few hours) and I can't wait to enjoy. I hope that Thurs/Fri day and maybe Sat/Sun early aren't too busy at the festival.

We saw everything from long lenght formal gowns, to park attire.

PFTS is a highlight of our trip to Food and Wine and we are lucky to have stayed at Boardwalk, so we plan to go back to the room and change. A cute dress sounds fine to me and not because that is what I wore...:thumbsup2 You will be on your feet almost the entire time regardless of the posts about tables - so my advice is to wear comfy shoes.

If you have the option to freshen up and change, please do so. We did not our first time, we attended after being in the park all day AND having been soaked to the skin. This is not recommended. However, many people do not have the option so you will see all types of clothing.

DH has worn everything from a suit/jacket/to nice shirt.....

Hope this helps.

Don't let it bother you I was still able to do well on the busy Saturday last weekend. Just go around twice, have a clear idea of what you want to try and wouldn't mind waiting in a long line for.

Well, I think they might want to let it bother them because it did me. We were there Sat. and it was awful. We ate exactly two items (Creme Brulee and Cerviche and both were good). But I've been 5 times in the past two years and this time was just terrible, TERRIBLE!

In no way could I ever endure and enjoy this type of crowd. Walking shoulder to shoulder, standing in 30 minute lines to purchase overpriced food, beer and wine is tough to do (and make note, it's the standing in line that was the problem). Now I know this is just me but people should look at all of the facts to prevent the crushing disappointment we felt on Saturday (we'd really been looking forward to it).

Well, I think they might want to let it bother them because it did me. We were there Sat. and it was awful. We ate exactly two items (Creme Brulee and Cerviche and both were good). But I've been 5 times in the past two years and this time was just terrible, TERRIBLE!

In no way could I ever endure and enjoy this type of crowd. Walking shoulder to shoulder, standing in 30 minute lines to purchase overpriced food, beer and wine is tough to do (and make note, it's the standing in line that was the problem). Now I know this is just me but people should look at all of the facts to prevent the crushing disappointment we felt on Saturday (we'd really been looking forward to it).

We've been telling people to go there on a weekday if at all possible. I know it's difficult for those who live locally to do that, but it does make a huge difference in crowd levels. I was there on Saturday for an event and avoided the kiosks at all costs.

We've been telling people to go there on a weekday if at all possible. I know it's difficult for those who live locally to do that, but it does make a huge difference in crowd levels. I was there on Saturday for an event and avoided the kiosks at all costs.

Thanks BR. We've been on weeknights in the past (obviously) and I hadn't realized it. Will try again in November (not a Saturday), unless we choose Vegas instead.

But again, I have to wonder, who enjoys these crowds? I can't fathom anyone liking it, especially at those prices, and I'm usually very liberal with my money. But high prices + huge crowds + long lines + average to good food, just doesn't = a good time to me. I'm a bit mystified.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter