(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All!! Actually depressing morning, the first morning home :sad1:

Sorry I was MIA before we left, but this trip was difficult with DD finishing up finals just days before we left. Shopping was a bit tricky too, not enough summer stuff out yet but us girls managed to get the job done.

We arrived Sunday morning at 9:30 am and I was thrilled to get a text that our room was ready. BUT, as usual for me, we only got one of the two requests. I got Sago Key but NO balcony, I didn't even go down to ask to be switched, we were all to happy to be able to change and clean up before heading out since we left home at 4:00 am :scared1:. I know crazy, but my DH loves getting out early and that's all he ask and leaves the rest to me, so off we go...:rotfl:

I will tell you, I don't think I'll ever do that again...I HATED not having a balcony, but the deluxe room size was great. Now, here comes a complaint, I don't think I've ever had one before (except for the black rat snake in my room, but that doesn't count:rotfl:). Housekeeping was HORRIBLE!!! First Day, I called 3 times to have the bed made up for my DS and no turn down so no clean towels for the morning. Day 2, No housekeeping we went to the cabana at 9:45, returned at 2:15ish had to call because we took all the towels out of the basket. Day 3 had to call because turned down was minimal at best. I asked to speak to manager this time and she actually credited me a night stay, wish was nice BUT by day 4 it meant nothing. Day 3 she went and inspected the room both morning and evening was fantastic. The housekeeping that is the usually and greatly appreciated after days of begging. Now Day 4, no turn down again and no fresh towels, now I went to the front desk, stood there for and hour start to finish and was told me room was going to get VIP treatment. I am not sure then or now what that was supposed to be mean, but we finally got our room cleaned twice a day like it was supposed to. We have been staying the GF for over 10 years and I have to say this was the first time ever we had such horrible housekeeping. Anyway.....still wish I was there!!

We had an amazing trip, the rain was like rain I have never seen. The first half of the trip the weather was perfect, the second half was insane. One night, my anniversary we never went to the parks. We stayed in Miznor's until dinner and then grab a cab, the last night we took a chance to go to the MK and I have never walked through lake size puddles like that EVER. Lots of good laughs, but unfortunately we never really got to see the fireworks in the park. We were there, but you honestly couldn't lift your head. The stores were actually flooded and people were sliding and falling all over the place, the carpeting was soaked. We had to buy flip flops for the girls just so they can sit and enjoy BOG for dinner. I would say 3 nights it just NEVER stopped and it came down hard and lightening and thunder was intense too a couple of nights.

We did get to go to Pandora, it was a mob scene but the FPs worked great. My DD gets a DAS pass, so we had a FP for one ride and we DAS the other ride. We had lunch in between and a safari ride to make sure we got to see both because we rarely go to AK. The first ride was the boat ride and it was beautiful but just ok, so while waiting in the heat for the second ride was difficult we knew we should just wait and thank goodness we did. I think that was the best ride I was ever on in my life. WOW WOW WOW!!! Now I have to add AK into our plans for our future trips because I have to ride that again. Yak and Yeti was delicious too, so I guess that's going to be a new plan for us!

Washer machine is singing, if there are any questions maybe I can answer them. Otherwise I can't wait to hear all about everyone's up coming and past trips!!

We are staying at the GF for the first time in August. The previous post about balconies has me concerned. I have stayed at both the Poly and BC and was well aware that many rooms did not have balconies - and knew what to request. Are there many rooms without a balcony at GF?

I was thinking of requesting Sago Key, upper floor, quiet. (My daughter would love a view of the monorail, so that is not a negative.) Do I have to ask for balcony?

Also, is there laundry machines in every building or just the main?

We are staying at the GF for the first time in August. The previous post about balconies has me concerned. I have stayed at both the Poly and BC and was well aware that many rooms did not have balconies - and knew what to request. Are there many rooms without a balcony at GF?

I was thinking of requesting Sago Key, upper floor, quiet. (My daughter would love a view of the monorail, so that is not a negative.) Do I have to ask for balcony?

Also, is there laundry machines in every building or just the main?

The PP that referenced no balcony booked a garden deluxe outer building room. These are in the turrets of each building and some don't have a balcony. All the standard rooms have a balcony of some sort. Some of the rooms with the vaulted ceiling (dormer rooms) have an enclosed, slightly smaller balcony. These rooms are also a bit smaller but feel spacious because of the vaulted ceilings. If you don't want a dormer you may want to add no dormer to your request. Photo from allears.net of the enclosed balcony.

I don't know the answer to the laundry question. It may be on the 1st post of this thread with all the info or someone will come along with the answer.

Grand%20Flo%20078.jpg

The PP that referenced no balcony booked a garden deluxe outer building room. These are in the turrets of each building and some don't have a balcony. All the standard rooms have a balcony of some sort. Some of the rooms with the vaulted ceiling (dormer rooms) have an enclosed, slightly smaller balcony. These rooms are also a bit smaller but feel spacious because of the vaulted ceilings. If you don't want a dormer you may want to add no dormer to your request. Photo from allears.net of the enclosed balcony.

I don't know the answer to the laundry question. It may be on the 1st post of this thread with all the info or someone will come along with the answer.

Great thank you! That eases my mind. I have no problem with either balcony, and wanted to keep the room requests simple.

If anyone has an answer for the laundry, I would appreciate it -- we are going for 12 nights, so I like to do a mid-trip wash to save on luggage. ;)

If anyone has an answer for the laundry, I would appreciate it -- we are going for 12 nights, so I like to do a mid-trip wash to save on luggage. ;)

From post #1 of this thread.

Laundry
  • 24-hour self-service laundry rooms are located in each building (except Sugar Loaf) with a couple washers/dryers each. (one washer, one dryer in the main building, second floor)
  • Dry cleaning & valet laundry service available for a fee, call Housekeeping from your in-room phone for details & pick-up.

So speaking of housekeeping, I have a question that has been bugging me. When we stayed at RPC Feb 2016, every day they'd put the "GF" stamp on the toilet paper. When we stayed at SL in April of this year, they never did the stamp. Is that just an RPC thing? Have they done away with it? Am I the only one that even pays attention to how the TP roll is left by housekeeping? :-)

I know that's a really silly detail and not important at all, I just remember thinking how much I appreciated that small touch every day.

Thanks!

So speaking of housekeeping, I have a question that has been bugging me. When we stayed at RPC Feb 2016, every day they'd put the "GF" stamp on the toilet paper. When we stayed at SL in April of this year, they never did the stamp. Is that just an RPC thing? Have they done away with it? Am I the only one that even pays attention to how the TP roll is left by housekeeping? :-)

I know that's a really silly detail and not important at all, I just remember thinking how much I appreciated that small touch every day.

Thanks!
I definitely had this in Conch Key in December, 2016.

Reactions: TJA
Bummer @GADisneyDad14! It sounds like it was just us at SL that didn't get the GF stamp treatment. Sounds so silly, but I loved that little touch too.
That is crazy that RPC and regular rooms get it, but its skipped at SL. I guess its just another housekeeping inconsistency :sad2:

Reactions: TJA
Tomorrow! Tomorrow! We arrive tomorrow! Staying for the third time at GF RPC! This year we're taking a cousin with us. Should really be a lot of fun for my 13 year old son! Can't wait! First time staying in a Queen Deluxe room in RPC. I requested room 4422. I really hope our request is granted. I'm so, so looking forward to this trip! Believe it or not, the thing the boys are most looking forward to is playing ping-pong by the pool! lol

Blue, you didn't say but were the new toiletries still the same product, just new packaging? I'd hate if they changed that shampoo! That just speaks GF to me! :cloud9:
Wishes, what an awful time for you as far as mousekeeping!! :crazy2: I would have been down at the front desk too!! By the way, what WAS the VIP treatment!! As I've expressed before, a hotel that charges the insane rates the GF does, every room ought to be VIP! Free food and all. :laughing:

WishesQueen so sorry for the lack of housekeeping. Not what you'd expect from any hotel. GF housekeeping has always been stellar. Glad after 4 days it got sorted out. Wow. I guess even at GF they have a few duds.

When I spoke to the manager the first time on the phone I was apologetic one at first. I keep telling her I love it here and I am sorry, I don't want to get anyone in trouble but we need soap (the one thing that we couldn't find in the basket in the hall:rotfl:). I will say that after over 10 trip to the GF and probably more then 20 trips to WDW I can't really remember it being this bad. Definitely have had some really late housekeeping, but nothing like this, which isn't bad. I just didn't want to make the beds anymore or drag the basket in the room.

Thanks!

Nope no stamp, just a point! But we have had in Sago Key and Big Pine Key before

Blue, you didn't say but were the new toiletries still the same product, just new packaging? I'd hate if they changed that shampoo! That just speaks GF to me! :cloud9:
Wishes, what an awful time for you as far as mousekeeping!! :crazy2: I would have been down at the front desk too!! By the way, what WAS the VIP treatment!! As I've expressed before, a hotel that charges the insane rates the GF does, every room ought to be VIP! Free food and all. :laughing:

Hello my friend, right not it doesn't seem that awful back at home! Returning to reality stinks!!! But yes, I had to go to the front desk because obviously the very nice lady on the phone only helped for the day. VIP meant nothing to us, it was the same great service that we used to always get, so that didn't pan out either.:confused3 But I can clean towels twice a day with soap and finally some chocolates!

BTW the toiletries are the same products and much better packaging. You can just squeeze that body lotion out instead of turning it upside down. Also, I love the smell of the shampoo but I did bring my own in hopes of making my hair feel better, but it must be the water because nothing worked. I will tell you that my DD brought in a spray leave in conditioner that she used at the pool and I tried that one day it definitely helped a ton.

Question? I didn't know that you can have a drink in quiet pool. Its the one thing that I wish I could do in the other pool with the cabanas. Is this true?

FYI - Valet when we were leaving also told me that Prince Harry and President Bush staying on the 5th floor of Sago Key for the Invictus games. I was shocked not RPC, but they said that its easier for VIPs to get in out of the cars and security. Bet their beds were made...:rotfl::rotfl:

Yes!! I am new to GF myself being diagnosed non celiac gluten sensitivity last summer. DD16 is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs and bananas so we are well versed in those but adding mine (and I also have an intolerance to egg yolks if not highly processed) makes things.....a little more interesting :rolleyes: So glad to hear Gaspies gf pizza is yummy and they have decent buns. Do you know if they have gf bread to make gf versions of the sandwiches at Gaspies? Also--did you eat at GF Cafe? Any other great entrees at TS/CS?

Does anyone know if GF still has the same toiletries or have they changed over to the newer H2O larger size products? I read on another thread where someone advised the sea salt shampoo could damage color treated hair. Does anyone have experience/thoughts on this?
Sorry I'm just answering your question! All of the TS restaurants where we dined had great gluten free options...including rolls! It's really sad when you're hungry and everyone else is eating rolls with butter, so kudos to Disney for the gluten free rolls so some of us don't get left out! I never ate a sandwich at Gaspies because I loved the pizza so much, but I would imagine they could do that for you if you ask. Every time you order something gluten free (same for an allergy) they get a manager to take your order. I was staying in RPC, and they got me and DD delicious gluten free bread every time we asked for it. It was the same gluten free bread they had at BWI CL too, so I would imagine they have the same gluten free bread all over Disney property. Actually, I think they got me the same bread when we ate at GFC in February! Abdul in RPC even got us some amazing gluten free cake donuts! They didn't even taste gluten free! I wish I had asked him where they came from if on Disney property or the brand if they were purchased!
Question? I didn't know that you can have a drink in quiet pool. Its the one thing that I wish I could do in the other pool with the cabanas. Is this tru
We had drinks in the quiet pool the entire time we were there! I find the quiet pool much more relaxing these days! DD13 used to love to participate in the games at the other pool (when she was younger) and go down the slide, but we didn't even go to that pool this time! It's annoying that they yell at you if you even get close to the pool's edge at the waterfall pool! BTW, we had drinks in the Oasis pool at Poly last July too! I think it's a quiet pool thing...no life guards! I hope they don't ever change the rules at the quiet pools!

Tomorrow! Tomorrow! We arrive tomorrow! Staying for the third time at GF RPC! This year we're taking a cousin with us. Should really be a lot of fun for my 13 year old son! Can't wait! First time staying in a Queen Deluxe room in RPC. I requested room 4422. I really hope our request is granted. I'm so, so looking forward to this trip! Believe it or not, the thing the boys are most looking forward to is playing ping-pong by the pool! lol

We had 4322 at the end of April and LOVED the room!!! The layout, extra space, and balcony was fantastic!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter