(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question: are the coffee makers in the room the kind that take kcups? My mom wants to bring the kind of coffee she likes at home.

Good to know! I've seen slightly older reports where there is a Cuisinart single serve coffee machine in the room that did not take pods. And then I've seen reports were they were Cuisinarts that took the pods. It's very nice to hear firsthand from someone who is been there not long ago. Three days till GF!

Just back from a great week at the Grand!! We stayed in Sago Cay for the second year in a row, love it!
This resort is amazing and we will be staying there again next August!
In the meantime booked a 4 night trip in December since we've never gone at the Holiday time. Staying at Coronado because it's more affordable but have a dinner booked at the Grand to check out the decorations I hear so much about! :) Will post pics from our recent trip once I get settled!

Just back from a great week at the Grand!! We stayed in Sago Cay for the second year in a row, love it!
In the meantime booked a 4 night trip in December since we've never gone at the Holiday time. Staying at Coronado because it's more affordable but have a dinner booked at the Grand to check out the decorations I hear so much about! :) Will post pics from our recent trip once I get settled!
Hmmm. I'm wondering if we crossed paths at some point....We were there from the 19th to the 22nd....Sago Cay as well. 1st floor I wish I knew how to post pics from my cell phone though???? Can anyone give me a lil insight on how 2 to this..T.I.A.

Hmmm. I'm wondering if we crossed paths at some point....We were there from the 19th to the 22nd....Sago Cay as well. 1st floor I wish I knew how to post pics from my cell phone though???? Can anyone give me a lil insight on how 2 to this..T.I.A.

How funny, I'm sure we did. We were on the 5th floor. You can click upload a file and then browse your photos on your phone.
:)

Reached out to DSS via email yesterday, and had a very kind and informative email response today! I submitted my SL room requests (upper floor, marina side, full balcony), and will call them later today to see if they can help me grab a couple of ADRs I haven't been able to get yet... never hurts to ask :)! Thanks for all of the help!

Just got back from the GF..... i see you have gotten several great responses to your earlier posts but thought I would add my 2cents :rolleyes1 Given that you want quiet, a full balcony and something to "watch" while your kids are sleeping, i would request 2nd floor, quiet room. The SL bulding is only 4 floors while the other buildings are 5 floors. The ends of the 3rd and 4th floors have the dormer style balconies so by saying upper floor you may easily get one of these. ALL 2nd floor rooms have full balconies. The room assigners may not be able to accommodate 3 requests and you wouldn't know which requests they would "pick" to fulfill. I would not be concerned about watching fireworks from SL as the amount you would see is only far reaching fireworks. Your best bet is to watch them from the patio between Gaspie's and the marina. Beautiful view with the castle and they set up a speaker for the music each night. I think you would actually have more to see on the pool side. Lots of people watching :p

I'm glad you brought up dormer rooms because I have never stayed in one but am curious what people think of them. I did look at the pics posted on page 1, but I am wondering about the balcony. Are they basically just for standing and looking out, or are there chairs? I assume with the enclosure, one would have to stand to see out over the rail/wall? We'll be arriving in twelve days :yay: and I've been thinking how I would feel about a dormer room. Thoughts anyone?

We just returned and had a dormer room. i did not care for it. Lovely room but the balcony being enclosed and of a smaller width made it unappealing to sit and relax. The patio doors are also more narrow allowing less light into the room. There were two chairs (higher than normal height) and a small side table. There also are no privacy shutters between you and your neighbor so if you are both out on your balcony you can look to the side and see/hear each other. very awkward. Hearing is one thing but seeing.....IDK, not my cup of tea. The lower square footage in the room was also very noticeable to us.

OMG----We were also in Sago Cay but on the 4th floor from Aug 16 -26. i am sure we all crossed paths and didn't know it :rotfl:

We got back last night from 10 days at the Grand. We had a wonderful stay and i thought I would share my thoughts.

--We requested Sago Cay, upper floor, quiet room. Unfortunately, we got a dormer room. I did not care for it. i wanted to immediately change rooms but DH was playing the part of Mr Grumpy Pants when we first arrived and didn't want to walk back to the front desk and wait for me to get a new room.....:rolleyes: We made the best of it but agreed if we were assigned that type room again, we would request a room change. We were in the second to last room, 4th floor, monorail side near Gaspies/main building/convention center. I will say, the room was very quiet and we never heard our neighbors except our last night. I believe they were out late at the MNSSHP and were a little too chatty in the hallway after midnight...

--Mousekeeping did a great job cleaning our room each day however they were very inconsistent in time and toiletries replenished. We had service a few days around 10:30am but most days between 3-4pm. One day, mousekeeping came at 4:15pm. We left the room so they could clean it. We came back at around 5:30. As soon as we got in the door, someone knocked, it was turndown service. Huh? "Uhmmmmm.., not yet please. We will be leaving for the parks in about an hour. Thank you." They also would sometimes leave 3 chocolates, sometimes 4. Towels were sometimes 3 left, sometimes 5. Toiletries would be either none or 2 sets. Very strange.....I guess different mousekeepers had different views of how many people were in the room???? IDK

--Loved the new larger TV and the Keurig coffeemaker in the room. The larger toiletries are also great because there is more product and the tubes standing upside-down makes it much easier to get the product dispensed without wasting. The beds are SOOOOOOOOooooo comfortable. I may have to look into getting that brand in a few years when we replace our mattress.

--Bus service and monorail was very good except for returning from DHS. We had awful luck waiting for a bus here and both times waited over 20 minutes to return to GF. We took our first Uber ride from GF to TL and it was easy and efficient. Did the same on the return. I hate that they no longer have direct buses to the water parks from the hotels.

--We ate at Gaspie's, Beach Pool, room service, and GF Cafe. Gaspie's food was OK. Not great. The food at the beach Pool was really good! GF Cafe food was good but service was very poor. Room service was a disaster. I ordered the day ahead for early breakfast to be delivered at 6:15am. I ordered a GF breakfast plate for DH, pancakes with chocolate chips for DD19, allergy(egg, peanut, tree nut) mickey waffles with a side of potatoes for DD16, and allergy(GF) mickey waffles for me. When the server came, there was no bread for DH, no chocolate chips in the pancakes, one allergy waffles and one reg waffles. Really? The poor server went back and about 15 minutes later returned with my waffle, DH's biscuit, and some "apology orange juice". Needless to say, neither DD16 or myself felt comfortable eating the food delivered. She ate the potatoes and sausage. I had a few bites of my waffle and it tasted awful. Lesson learned. We will never order room service again for breakfast with 2 allergies in the room.

--The lobby was as beautiful as ever. We were able to sit and listen to the band on several occasions. Love the smell of the GF each and EVERY time we walk in. Ahhh......

--The pool was fun. My husband loves chatting with Pete the bartender at the beach pool. Very friendly guy. We ordered food here twice and it was outstanding. Each time, a chef/manager? came to our table to discuss food allergies and options. i had the best GF sandwich ever!! It was a grilled chicken breast with herb seasoning on a gluten free bun with a marinated tomato, lettuce, provolone cheese, and sliced avocado. So yummy! (I had them serve the pesto on the side and I was glad because it was too garlicky for my taste) Dh had the chicken nuggets with the sweet chili dipping sauce, DD had the lobster sliders, my other DD had the allergy hot dog one day and the chicken sandwich another day.

--We saw Richard most days. I took a picture of him with Dh and the girls one day. He is such a treasure!

--We really enjoyed watching the fireworks from the patio outside Gaspie's. Great view and the speakers playing the music just adds to the experience.

--DD19 and I went to the Poly one evening for dessert. I got a Dole whip and she got a chocolate croissant and we ate them while we strolled back to the GF along the path. So lovely with the tiki torches, the luau music, and then the beautiful tranquility of the VGF and GF at night. Just heavenly :cloud9:

--Our whole family just loves the feel and layout of the GF. It is so quick to walk anywhere. Gaspies is easy to pop in to refill your mug or grab a bite to eat. Sit inside or outside at the tables overlooking the marina and the castle across the lagoon. It never feels crowded or super hectic although we have never been during the holidays, LOL. We visited POR and POFQ this trip for a meal and to get a feel for the resorts. While POR was lovely, we decided it was just too hectic for us. The Riverside Mill had pretty good food but we disliked how busy and chaotic it felt. Not easy to just drop in and refill a mug or relax with a bite to eat. POFQ was surprisingly nice. More quaint and very relaxing. Big drawback being the pool area. The whole pool area seems very kid oriented and no adult feel to be found. They REALLY need to retheme that pool. Great kids water play area and playground. Also had the best counter service meal of the trip. Shrimp and grits were an A++++++ :teeth:

--We were at an outside table at Gaspie's during the solar eclipse. It was interesting but not as dark as we hoped. Just like an early dusk. The most interesting part was seeing all of the managerial types that poured out of the building and onto the patio with their suits/dresses/etc while all looking through their solar glasses. I had too chuckle inside because they looked ridiculously awkward.

--Loved FOP! I didn't get to ride NRJ because I wasn't feeling well that morning but family said it was visually interesting but kinda boring. Would ride again with FP but wouldn't wait over 15 minutes in line. On the other hand, FOP was so good, we would be willing to wait an hour to ride that if we had no FP. That is how we rate rides in our family, by how long we are willing to wait to ride them :rotfl2::rotfl2: Also really enjoyed the new Soarin Around the World and the Behind the Seeds Tour.

Sorry so long and I probably missed something I wanted to say. Still tired from my vacation...hahahahaha. Our plane was delayed almost an hour and a half sitting on the tarmac waiting for clearance because of bad weather. We finally got home last night around 9:30pm. Any questions, just ask! Can't wait to go back in a few years and experience all of the new rides that will be open by then!!

Glad you had a great time! Congrats on booking a trip back in December. Enjoy the planning for both December and next August :wizard:.

We got back last night from 10 days at the Grand. We had a wonderful stay and i thought I would share my thoughts.

Can't wait to go back in a few years and experience all of the new rides that will be open by then!!

Thanks for your review. Glad everyone had a great time :).

Just returned last night from our first stay in WDW in 12 years. Our first six nights were at the Boardwalk Villas and the last three at GF. We had a wonderful time and it is a truly lovely hotel.

We transferred over via cab from BWV around 11:30 in the morning and were met outside and they checked us in there... it was like they knew we were coming. Amazingly we were upgraded to Club Level main building to the Royal Palm Club.

We too had a Dormer room like Parker Clan and we really liked it since it was top floor. Loved the soaring ceiling. Ours however was very well blocked off from any neighbors. It was just us and our newly 21 year old daughter too so the room was of nice size for the three of us. The room was quiet (you could hear the piano and band play but it was actually nice). The bathroom was crazy with the sunken soaking tub... it was little hard to get in for a shower but it was great if you wanted a bath. The Concierge lounge was just lovely. The food was wonderful and replenished constantly...staff was very nice and responsive to any requests. We did not use the other services like reservation making or anything. Our room was always clean and turn down was so nice!! The views from the entire top floor were lovely.

We used the gym every day and it was very nice, equipment good. We didn't use the pool...pool bar yes... pool no lol Pool bar Mai Tai was good :)

We did eat at GF cafe our last morning (yesterday sadly) and our server was Sergio and he was great!! Talked to us about his home town and his upcoming trips and we discussed his need to go to DLR. Food was great. I had the Grand Mimosa which was needed being how sad I was to leave!!

Our daughter did go to Senses to have her nails done after we left. My only complaint would be about the Spa. She had been quoted $20 to remove gel polish from her finger nails (we made the appointment our first night there) but they actually charged her $60! She didn't say anything ....she should have... she did like the experience but that was a little off putting.

I will post some pictures once I get everything uploaded to our computer.

I learned so much from these boards and I am so grateful :)

Thanks!!!

We arrive in one week for a 7 night stay. The first night we wanted to swim and watch MK fireworks. Can they be seen from either of the pools?

How much smaller is a dormer room than a "regular" sized room?

Keep reading posts that it's a bit smaller, just wondering by how much. Most people who post about it comment that it feels smaller, so it must be noticeable.
Like AKL smaller, or Poly smaller? Is it the same width as a regular room, but shorter, or same length but narrower? Why does my brain need to know these things?!?:crazy:

We might actually like the dormer room (we like privacy and quiet and a smaller balcony doesn't bother us. And top floor? Sounds good!) but concerned that be too cramped for me, my DW and constantly growing DS13! Thanks!!

I'm sure this has been asked but I'm not quite sure what to search to find an answer....
I'm staying at the VGF in a standard view room through DVC rental this coming October. When Magical Express drops us off will it be in the Main Lobby or the Villa lobby? Taking one of my best friends who hasn't been to WDW since her early childhood and really want her to feel the magic of the main lobby once we step on site!

I'm sure this has been asked but I'm not quite sure what to search to find an answer....
I'm staying at the VGF in a standard view room through DVC rental this coming October. When Magical Express drops us off will it be in the Main Lobby or the Villa lobby? Taking one of my best friends who hasn't been to WDW since her early childhood and really want her to feel the magic of the main lobby once we step on site!
The Magical Express will drop you off at the GF main lobby. :)

We arrive in one week for a 7 night stay. The first night we wanted to swim and watch MK fireworks. Can they be seen from either of the pools?
I don't know. I usually watch from Gaspies or boat dock. If I happen to be at a pool this weekend I will watch for them and see if I can see them.
How much smaller is a dormer room than a "regular" sized room?

Keep reading posts that it's a bit smaller, just wondering by how much. Most people who post about it comment that it feels smaller, so it must be noticeable.
Like AKL smaller, or Poly smaller? Is it the same width as a regular room, but shorter, or same length but narrower? Why does my brain need to know these things?!?:crazy:

We might actually like the dormer room (we like privacy and quiet and a smaller balcony doesn't bother us. And top floor? Sounds good!) but concerned that be too cramped for me, my DW and constantly growing DS13! Thanks!!
Well I have had both. The dormer room has a higher ceiling. All the furniture still fit so only a little smaller. I was lucky my balcony was 4th floor adjacent to a suite. Hard to describe but with roof lines I HAD NO NEIGHBORS. So it wasn't too bad. If my mom was with me I def want a full balcony . With dd she didn't care. I will see with dh this weekend. If we get one and he doesn;t like I will try to trade.

They drop at main lobby. I believe you can check in either locations during normal hours. If arrive early or late only GF main lobby.

Who else this weekend??? We getting close.

Well I have had both. The dormer room has a higher ceiling. All the furniture still fit so only a little smaller. I was lucky my balcony was 4th floor adjacent to a suite. Hard to describe but with roof lines I HAD NO NEIGHBORS. So it wasn't too bad. If my mom was with me I def want a full balcony . With dd she didn't care. I will see with dh this weekend. If we get one and he doesn;t like I will try to trade.
wow! That sounds perfect for us! I don't even think my DS13 will even go on the balcony!:goodvibes

Which mnsshp are you doing? I have 10/13 and I will be at poly for it.

Also when I first went into room I wanted to change until I saw the 4th floor view. It was much higher than I expected, loved that.
Haven't bought tickets yet, but second to last MNSSHP. We actually had a room booked at the Poly but got a better deal with the AP room offer at GF so decided to try it for the first time! We were going to request top floor at poly to cut down on "over head" guest noises so were looking into the dormers at GF now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter