• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the responses, I was hoping to work off some of the calories!!:drinking1

Maybe I'll walk to the Poly and take the monorail from there, but I am bound to stop for a dole whip so I am thinking that might not work.:rotfl2::rolleyes1
If you really want to get some walking in, you can monorail to MK, walk to CR, and then take the boat from there.

Good Morning Everyone!!

Quick question I am sure is here somewhere and I should know... Can you walk to the Wilderness Lodge from the GF? Making plans to have lunch at the WL, love the new outdoor bar/restaurant.

Thanks
No you can’t walk as it’s on the other side of Bay Lake. There are several ways to get to WL from GF.
Boat to MK and transfer to WL Boat
Monorail to MK and transfer to WL boat
Monorail to CR, walk to back of CR to their dock and catch WL boat there.

If you want to get a walk in, after WL lunch there’s a walking path to Ft. Wilderness, nice walk and at Ft W you can explore the horse barns, and walk to the dock and catch the boat back to MK.

Thanks for all the responses, I was hoping to work off some of the calories!!:drinking1

Maybe I'll walk to the Poly and take the monorail from there, but I am bound to stop for a dole whip so I am thinking that might not work.:rotfl2::rolleyes1
They have dolewhip with rum in Traders FYI. Just in case you need to walk to poly.

Hi all! Could I please get your thoughts? What would you do?

We currently have Dec. 14-25 (11 nights) booked in a garden view room.
- This trip would be two nights longer than the other option
- We would get to wake up and be at the GF Christmas morning, which should be pretty magical
- Christmas season at Disney in general is beautiful, and we have very much been looking forward to this
- Flights are already booked, and they were surprisingly very cheap
- Husband & both have dates off of work approved already

With the new discounts out, I could book an early Feb. trip in the main building, club level, for just about the same price.
- The trip would be two nights shorter, but I assume crowds would be a bit lighter; no MVMCPs to work our MK schedule around
- RPC! Not only would we have to spend less on food since we could snack there, BUT we have never gotten to stay in the main building
- We would be celebrating both of my children's birthdays during this trip (yep, both February babies)
- My son would be turning 3 early on in the trip, but would still be 2 at check-in (so he still counts as an "infant" as far as park tickets go)
- With both being 3 or older by this point, we could take advantage of Lilo's Playhouse at the Poly for a night out without kids (Disney After Hours event?)
- We can actually get very cheap flights for these dates too, but there would be change fees so I'd have to deal with figuring that out

Sooo... slightly longer Christmas season trip with plans already in place, or try to make the new dates work instead?

I don’t think I have seen this mentioned on this thread yet, sorry if I missed it.

A few weeks ago I called to inquire about a Poly poolside patio (cabana) at the Oasis Pool there. The CM had to put me on hold “because some of the resort cabanas were damaged in Irma” so she needed to confirm which resort. When she returned, she said it was the GF cabanas and that they had decided to not replace/repair them now, but rather wait for the larger pool refurb coming in Nov/Dec.

I didn’t mention this at the time in case she had given me bad/incorrect info. But I was at Poly this past weekend and checked the GF pool when going by on the monorail, and sure enough, the cabana structures are no longer there.

Instead, there are four lounges that SORT OF look like this below. Note this is NOT an accurate pic, it’s just something close I can find on the Internet as an example.

Example of Temp GF Cabana.jpg

I am not sure if they are renting these or if they are first come first served? But just FYI for anyone looking to book a cabana sometime soon....

I don’t think I have seen this mentioned on this thread yet, sorry if I missed it.

A few weeks ago I called to inquire about a Poly poolside patio (cabana) at the Oasis Pool there. The CM had to put me on hold “because some of the resort cabanas were damaged in Irma” so she needed to confirm which resort. When she returned, she said it was the GF cabanas and that they had decided to not replace/repair them now, but rather wait for the larger pool refurb coming in Nov/Dec.

I didn’t mention this at the time in case she had given me bad/incorrect info. But I was at Poly this past weekend and checked the GF pool when going by on the monorail, and sure enough, the cabana structures are no longer there.

Instead, there are four lounges that SORT OF look like this below. Note this is NOT an accurate pic, it’s just something close I can find on the Internet as an example.

View attachment 275676

I am not sure if they are renting these or if they are first come first served? But just FYI for anyone looking to book a cabana sometime soon....

Oh wow, interesting! I wasn't planning to book a cabana in November anyway, but I'll definitely be curious to see if they still have these loungers around. I can't wait to see what they do during the new pool refurb!

Hi guys!! I just called and pit in a room request for our upcoming trip. I asked for Sago Cay and a view of the interior not the side of the monorail. I am beginning to rethink my request . Does anyone have any suggestions or better knowledge of the rooms ? Maybe even a picture from that building? Did I make a bad choice?

Hi guys!! I just called and pit in a room request for our upcoming trip. I asked for Sago Cay and a view of the interior not the side of the monorail. I am beginning to rethink my request . Does anyone have any suggestions or better knowledge of the rooms ? Maybe even a picture from that building? Did I make a bad choice?

My parents love that section as it has a lovely view of the marina. We have visited them and agree the that view is very beautiful. Maybe one of the Grand experts will have a better suggestion.

I have had both sides of sago. I preferred the mono side. The marina I thought would be good but many of the rooms have trees blocking the views. However it is nice to have a water view and can hear (somewhat) the HEA soundtrack from the marina.

You can find something good about each building. Gf has lots of great choices and it's hard to go wrong. Keep in mind you may not get your request anyways.

Not much of a help but I have pics OF Sago Cay from the SL building. The view you want would be looking back in the direction of where this photo was taken from.

Sago Cay is the primary building in the photo, main building is on the left.
3.JPG

Main building on left, Sago cay there on the right.
1.JPG

The part of Sago Cay closest to the open water. Some bigger trees cover up the view of the marina from many of those balconies, as @trishadono notes.
4.JPG

We stayed in Sago Cay on the monorail side for a NYE/early January trip, and if we looked to the right while out on the balcony we were able to see the fireworks from MK -- not a perfect view or anything, but it was a nice perk!

View attachment 275676

This is a bit concerning as we have a cabana booked for Nov 2. I would be quite disappointed if all we received was something like what you have pictured.

Thanks everyone for the room views! Looks like a room in Sago Cay would be best to try for one in center of the building to avoid those trees!So what does the other side of Sago look like?Any pics or room numbers! So nice to have everyone's opinions to help with possible requests!

This is a bit concerning as we have a cabana booked for Nov 2. I would be quite disappointed if all we received was something like what you have pictured.

You might want to call and ask. Maybe they do plan on putting them back sometime this month.

I agree, I would be very disappointed as well unless it was at a substantially reduced cost.

Hi guys! So I searched back to September on this forum about any info about the pool refurb scheduled in November. I am basically wondering now exactly what they are doing to it and the QS location and how long it is expected to be closed for? Our trip is in May. Anyone have any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter