2024 Moonlight Magic

In the past, a reservation at any Disney resort, whether paid by cash or points and no matter how it was booked, qualified for early registration for MM. This year the language changed and requires the member to be “using their membership” for the resort reservation. That means a regular points reservation but also includes cash reservations booked through MS. Cash reservations booked through CRO don’t count.
Wow! Most of the time I attended MM I booked at an All-Star for a night. As I see in the language that both "cash" and All-stars are included, so this would mean that I'd need to call DVC member services to make a reservation at All-Star Sports?
Sorry for all the questions, but I'm shocked!
I happen to have a WL reservation booked with cash through a TA for the June dates in which the Typhoon Lagoon MM is. Does this really mean I would not be eligible for for early booking of that party?

Wow! Most of the time I attended MM I booked at an All-Star for a night. As I see in the language that both "cash" and All-stars are included, so this would mean that I'd need to call DVC member services to make a reservation at All-Star Sports?
Yes. Just call Member Services to make the reservation rather than book through the Disney World website.

The most aggravating part of this is Disney did not give a clear heads-up about this before the change.

We had booked a cash room at Coronado Springs Resort for the night, but then switched to Old Key West using points when one became available. We got lucky. Others were caught completely off guard by the change.

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm shocked!
I happen to have a WL reservation booked with cash through a TA for the June dates in which the Typhoon Lagoon MM is. Does this really mean I would not be eligible for for early booking of that party?
So you can ONLY book DVC rooms with cash through MS. Under the new rules you would not be eligible for MM if your WL reservation is booked through a TA even if it's for BR or CC at WL. I've been through this myself this year, so this has all been confirmed by multiple MS CMs. You could stay at any disney resort by exchanging your points into the disney collection which is an absolutely awful use of your points but it's possible.

Have any members tried to get into a moonlight magic event without a reservation?

We are within driving distance so it's worth it for us to try without reservation.

We were lucky to get into the AK last summer on our first try as owners. We haven't tried since but hoping to get into one of the Typhoon Lagoon ones in the summer and did make a reservation for that. 🤞

YES..... 2 times so far for California Moonlight Magic Events although most times I would be able to stay in the HOTEL
rooms with DVC points if I couldn't get VGC .

Have any members tried to get into a moonlight magic event without a reservation?
One time we went with a reservation and they wouldn't admit us until we added our membership to an e-wallet so they could verify it that way somehow.

We had printouts of the confirmation and magic bands and they weren't sufficient, so expect a reservation is definitely a requirement.

Thank you for the responses, this is exactly what I wanted to know. Since I live far away and only have enough points for a trip every year or two, it seems very unlikely that I’d ever get to participate.

One time we went with a reservation and they wouldn't admit us until we added our membership to an e-wallet so they could verify it that way somehow.

We had printouts of the confirmation and magic bands and they weren't sufficient, so expect a reservation is definitely a requirement.

Thank you for the responses, this is exactly what I wanted to know. Since I live far away and only have enough points for a trip every year or two, it seems very unlikely that I’d ever get to participate.

You don't need a reservation for them to verify what they were asking for.

Adding the membership to the wallet involves using the Disney MagicMobile feature in the WDW app, accessible from the "Tickets and Passes --> Add to Wallet" part of the app. When you do that, it creates a card in your wallet that lists your affiliations like "DVC-Y" and/or "Annual Passholder" and also has a QR code they can scan to read that info. The only thing that does for MM is confirm you are eligible for the Blue Card benefits (DVC-Y), which is needed to access the event. I suspect if you created a temporary card online from the DVC website (good for 30 days) that also says "DVC-Y" and printed it, that might also work if combined with an ID, but it's not something they can scan so it may slow things down.

But all that is independent of having a reservation in place. The reservation just gives you a higher probability of getting a ticket to the event during the early registration window. Otherwise, without a reservation, you get to try only during the general registration window, which has much fewer tickets. But as a DVC-Y member you can still go to MM regardless of how you scored the reservation.

You don't need a reservation for them to verify what they were asking for.

Adding the membership to the wallet involves using the Disney MagicMobile feature in the WDW app, accessible from the "Tickets and Passes --> Add to Wallet" part of the app. When you do that, it creates a card in your wallet that lists your affiliations like "DVC-Y" and/or "Annual Passholder" and also has a QR code they can scan to read that info. The only thing that does for MM is confirm you are eligible for the Blue Card benefits (DVC-Y), which is needed to access the event. I suspect if you created a temporary card online from the DVC website (good for 30 days) that also says "DVC-Y" and printed it, that might also work if combined with an ID, but it's not something they can scan so it may slow things down.

But all that is independent of having a reservation in place. The reservation just gives you a higher probability of getting a ticket to the event during the early registration window. Otherwise, without a reservation, you get to try only during the general registration window, which has much fewer tickets. But as a DVC-Y member you can still go to MM regardless of how you scored the reservation.
We had a temporary card printed and showed on our phone and they insisted that was not helpful and they needed it added to a digital wallet. I don't recall if a QR code was scanned - but that may have been it.

Regarding a reservation, I understood that @maleficandace was referring to showing up for Moonlight Magic without a reservation and getting in with a DVC-Y membership.

What are the Animal Kingdom-Moonlight Magic early entry is? The Disney World website shows park closes at 6pm and Special Ticketed Event 7:00 PM to 10:00 PM

Park Hours
8:00 AM to 6:00 PM

Special Ticketed Event
7:00 PM to 10:00 PM

What are the Animal Kingdom-Moonlight Magic early entry is? The Disney World website shows park closes at 6pm and Special Ticketed Event 7:00 PM to 10:00 PM

Park Hours
8:00 AM to 6:00 PM

Special Ticketed Event
7:00 PM to 10:00 PM
Probably 4pm. I think you normally can get in 2 hrs before closing. But ..park hours can change, so if they change the park close time to 7 or 8pm, the early entry and event times will also change.

Probably 4pm. I think you normally can get in 2 hrs before closing. But ..park hours can change, so if they change the park close time to 7 or 8pm, the early entry and event times will also change.
Good to know. 4pm seems early for Moonlight magic, but then event ending at 10pm is also probably one of the earlier Moonlight ending times.

The link has the hours for the specific day, which is less than 2 weeks away. 4pm is probably a safe bet as it would be odd that Disney would extend hours (increase costs) with short notice to materially impact the entries.

Oh interesting, thanks. Is the general the earliest registration date or did we miss an earlier one? It's been years since I've tried to do one of these.

There was an early registration a couple of weeks ago for those who have reservation at a DVC resort for that night.

Oh interesting, thanks. Is the general the earliest registration date or did we miss an earlier one? It's been years since I've tried to do one of these.
Early registration for those with an on-site room reservation took place on 2/1 for both the Epcot Event dates. An email was sent out on 1/31 with the link.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter