3 wheel stroller or 4? We are leaving in September and I need to get a stroller for a 5 year old. Any thoughts on 3 vs 4 wheels?

eric8

Mouseketeer
Also, are there any strollers where the handle bars are up high for a taller person (so we won't have to stoop over too much while pushing)

Are you talking about buying a stroller for one trip? Don't do that.

Rent a CityMini GT, that has an adjustable handlebar. But even the regular old citymini has a high enough handlebar, I don't think it's that big a deal, unless you're significantly over 6 ft tall.

Renting would be our choice too! Purchasing a stroller able to comfortably push a 5yo would be expensive. I rented when my daughter was that age and never regretted it!

Agree with prior posts, when our kids were around 5 they had pretty much never used strollers in real life anymore but at WDW, it's a must and glad we had them. But buying a stroller just for disney isn't necessary. By the time our kids hit around 6-7, we didn't have strollers anymore so we'd buy a cheap umbrella stroller and pass it on to someone who could use it. But I'm short and my husband is maybe 6' so it was never awkward for us to push and our kids didn't ride that much in the stroller so it was easy to push around and hold our stuff.

As far as wheels, the 3 wheels def take up less space since they're not as wide in front but if you feel like you need something bigger for your 5 year old, most of the stroller rentals have various options. The park stroller rentals are hard plastic seats and not very comfy looking.

Also, another reason to rent as opposed to buying is, if you fly there will be wear and tear on the stroller. In no way would you recoup your cost even if you purchase it for only one trip if flying is part of the equation. As much as I believe airlines are as careful as they can be, a lot of stress is out in strollers when flying. I purchased a travel bag part way through my daughter’s stroller days and I was shocked at how dirty and worn that bag was after each trip!

This is a pretty broad question…are you thinking of 3 wheels as in a jogging stroller with bike tires or something smaller? Are you flying or driving? Planning to buy, borrow, or rent?

We drive and take a stroller with us. Our larger BOB jogger is much easier to push, but larger in the parks and does not fold up as small. Newer models have an adjustable handlebar. We have another stroller, a Citi Mini, that folds more compact but is harder to maneuver with a larger kid. Both have 3 wheels but are very different strollers.

Jogging strollers are the best. They have better maneuverability and are much easier to push with bigger kids. They also tend to have much higher handles than other strollers.

We are driving down. We have a 5 year old that gets tired easily so I thought about buying a stroller. We will be there for 7 days, 6 at the park. I will look into renting as an option.

I do have one more question. I'm assuming they have signs posted for stroller parking. Will there be a cast member at the area that will take my stroller and park it themselves or do I just push the stroller into the area and find a spot to leave it? I know the cast members can move them if need be. I'm thinking about putting an apple air tag in one in order to keep up with it if i have to. I'm not sure if that is allowed though in the parks.

We are driving down. We have a 5 year old that gets tired easily so I thought about buying a stroller. We will be there for 7 days, 6 at the park. I will look into renting as an option.

I do have one more question. I'm assuming they have signs posted for stroller parking. Will there be a cast member at the area that will take my stroller and park it themselves or do I just push the stroller into the area and find a spot to leave it? I know the cast members can move them if need be. I'm thinking about putting an apple air tag in one in order to keep up with it if i have to. I'm not sure if that is allowed though in the parks.

It depends on the parking area. I've had CMs valet park the strollers in some parking areas. But usually you park it yourself.

It is all very easy. You will clearly see where the stroller parking areas are, mostly because it will be full of strollers. LOL The only ride that I can think of that has you enter the line with your stroller and have the cast member take it half way is the Safari at AK. Every other ride you just park the stroller in the general area. Cast members will tidy up and move strollers around but will not move them from that area.
If you are having trouble picturing this, there are a ton of walk through videos of the parks on YouTube. Go watch a few and you will see the stroller parking areas. Unless you have a really expensive stroller, I wouldn't bother with an Airtag. Those can be a pain since it will start binging other people's phones if they are in close proximity to them for a while.

Rent a citi mini GT unless you’re planning on more kids who will use it. The citi mini is much easier to transport on buses than a jogging stroller like a Bob. Don’t worry about cast members moving your stroller - it’s never moved very far.

Renting a 3 wheel City Mini stroller from Scooter Bug and having it delivered and returned directly at our resort guest services was a piece of cake. Highly recommended if you're staying onsite. Only downside with the stroller was that the handlebar was little low for my 6'2" husband, so I ended up pushing it most of the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter