3 year olds now need to wear masks in California

This has actually been found to fairly rare. And fatalities from this are extremely rare. And if children were serious spreaders of this virus, there would be massive outbreaks originating from child care centers.

I think most child care centers are still closed. Are they not?

This has actually been found to fairly rare. And fatalities from this are extremely rare.

You are right. But children can get Covid. From the article children usually have no symptoms. I didn't know child care centers were open the last 3 months. If they were, then I would agree with you about outbreaks.

Where the challenge is getting children to wear those masks! :-)

As a parent in a setting where you have an errand to run with your 3 year old or a 30 minute activity I agree. With a classroom of 14 three year olds and 2 adults I would disagree. The average attention span for a child is their age plus 3 minutes. I spend the whole year working on where they should keep their hands. If people think they can get 14 three year olds to comply with keeping on a mask for five hours, have at it; not to mention learning communication skills, articulation and language.

My sister would totally agree with you. She was here this weekend explaining on how Head Start here in Michigan will be doing things this Fall. She's been a Lead Teacher for years and says there is NO way her 3 year olds and 4 years olds would keep a mask on. For one they're too busy picking their noses! ;)

This is not true. Child care centers for essential works have been open the entire time. For at least a month families on my street (with non essential workers who work from home) have had their small kids in day cares and preschools. It's better for the kids to have structure and better for the parents to be able to get work done. Summer day camps are open here too - my girls are going to lifeguard camp this week and the gymnastics places have camps going too. There are lots of options for people that want them.

To the OP - if the kids are doing active things, especially outdoors, they don't need to wear a mask. That's in the guidelines.

I'm a believer in masks, but I am also strongly opposed to small children and their caregivers wearing them. Babies and small children need to see faces for proper social, emotional, and language/speech development.

Nope. In our area, they’ve been opened for essential workers the entire time and opened back up for everybody last month.

The truth is the risk isn’t really to them (and even less so as MIS-C seems to have dropped out of the conversation ), but who they can spread it to. As overwhelmingly asymptomatic carriers, it would be hard to tell who has it.

Almost all childcare centers and summer camps are open here in my large city, and have been for more than a month. Very little mask-wearing and some social distancing - no outbreaks.

I would think the best way to get a younger child to comply would be to get cool masks with characters or other fun designs that the child likes. And if possible include them in the choices.

My kid reuses one of these:

c1486_child_face_mask_sell_sheet.pdf

A box of 75 is supposed to cost less than $20. My parents grabbed three from a medical office just in case our kid might need them. This was before Covid-19. I'd gladly pay that for a single box, but they're either out of stock or only sold to medical professionals.

Almost all childcare centers and summer camps are open here in my large city, and have been for more than a month. Very little mask-wearing and some social distancing - no outbreaks.

Here where I am CCC’s have been open and we have had huge outbreaks that have been reported but information kept from the public to avoid parents pulling their kids from daycare. Is it the right thing to do? That depends on what side of the table you choose to sit on....

Funny. Governor Baker mandated masks for everyone over two, weeks ago. No hysteria. Also no, not all the small children in my complex are wearing masks - but more seem to be than the adults with them.

Depends on where you live.
My kid reuses one of these:

c1486_child_face_mask_sell_sheet.pdf

A box of 75 is supposed to cost less than $20. My parents grabbed three from a medical office just in case our kid might need them. This was before Covid-19. I'd gladly pay that for a single box, but they're either out of stock or only sold to medical professionals.
They are great masks and fit a child nicely. Way easier to breath than a cloth mask too. They are on back order. Occasionally you can purchase from a third party seller at 5X the normal price.

Depends on where you live.

They are great masks and fit a child nicely. Way easier to breath than a cloth mask too. They are on back order. Occasionally you can purchase from a third party seller at 5X the normal price.

My parents managed to just snag three of them though. I'm not even sure why they did it, but apparently these were available in waiting rooms. They might have been there to take home for those who might come in contact with young family members.

I haven't been able to find any place that has them. I saw one old eBay listing that shows a box for about $20 with free shipping, but that sold out a while ago. All of them are either missing or damaged. Keep them long enough and the ear loop eventually breaks at the attachment point. I'm thinking of using some epoxy to fix up the last one my kid has.

Eventually these won't be backordered and readily available. Even after there's an official end to the Covid-19 pandemic I think a lot of places will still recommend masks.

My parents managed to just snag three of them though. I'm not even sure why they did it, but apparently these were available in waiting rooms. They might have been there to take home for those who might come in contact with young family members.

I haven't been able to find any place that has them. I saw one old eBay listing that shows a box for about $20 with free shipping, but that sold out a while ago. All of them are either missing or damaged. Keep them long enough and the ear loop eventually breaks at the attachment point. I'm thinking of using some epoxy to fix up the last one my kid has.

Eventually these won't be backordered and readily available. Even after there's an official end to the Covid-19 pandemic I think a lot of places will still recommend masks.
They've been on backorder for months. They run approximately $175 per case of 10. They were running $100 per box with third parties. The kids love them

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter