• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

3 yr old at the buffets

Dad of 5

Isn't this what money is for?
I'm sure this is a perennial topic.

My plan is to talk it over with the server when we get seated. "Our son will likely eat little to nothing. Let us buy his drink, then as far as the meal goes, would you mind just letting us 'wing it', and if it looks fair to you, then charge us for his meal - and if he barely eats anything, then let it go?"

My question to the community is: What have you done in this situation? Fair is fair, but I don't want to throw away any more $$ than I absolutely have to.

I'm guessing that, as in most situations, the presentation is more than half the "battle."

Thanks.

If it's a character meal they have a $5.00 entertainment fee. Had this happen at Crystal Palace with a sick friend. The worst they can say is no. I think if the server believes they will still recieve a service tip regardless they are likly to follow your lead.

We went last Feb. with a then 3 yo. We also have 5 others. We got mixed reactions. We never asked for her no to be charged, but there were some servers that told us they wouldn't charge for her after hey saw how little she ate.. My 5 yo DS fell asleep one time before we got to the buffet, it was late for him, and they didn't charge us either, not even for the drink they had already served.

I would go prepared to pay, and wait and see what happens.

We payed for our 3 year old the last trip we went on. He normally isn't a big eater, but, he suprised us. Crystal Palace had pizza, mac and cheese, chicken fingers and he had ice cream for dessert. Donald's Prehistoric B-fast at AK he ate pancakes, sausage etc...

The interaction with the charachters as well as the food is well worth the $, even if he eats a little!

Oh, don't get me wrong. There's no doubt we'll be bringing everybody along - all 5 of 'em.

My question is more for the "3yo's pay for everything" policy. If it's just the "cost of doing business," then that's ok. I'm already prepared to spend kilobucks - what's another $15 or so? :rolleyes:

I hadn't heard about the $5 entertainment charge at character meals before, does anyone else know if that is so? What if you have a child who IS being paid for (my 3 yr old), do you have to pay for a smaller child - 21 months - who is NOT being paid for? Hope that makes sense! I am asking if you have to pay $5 for children younger than 3 at character meals. Thanks!

No you do not have to pay the entertainment charge for children UNDER the age of three. They are totally free - food and entertainment at the character meals.

The entertainment charge is more if say your whole family goes and dad is on a diet and isn't eating period.

Liz

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter