$$$

I wrote the book on this subject, LOL! (See the sticky above ) I'm not known for being short winded, but what you pay for is expertise in the destination. Yes, anyone can go do it themsleves and if you chafe in a group or with a set itinerary, you probably should go it alone. But as far as what you pay for- fully vetted accomidations, meals, and attractions (including special events/activites) the time it takes to plan all those things on your own has value, and lastly, and most importantly, the guides are not only experts in people management, they are destination experts who enliven, enrich and share in ways a guide book or pod cast cannot. (There, was that a little less wordy! ;-)

I'm totally with you on this. I'm kind of used to it by now, but it still hurts the wallet. But the other option is to not travel, and that's not going to happen!

But it's also made me much, MUCH less likely to cruise now, because a lot of lines (including DCL) actually charge an extra 100% now for a solo cruiser (it used to be a lot less!). At least ABD is "only" an extra 40%.

I've been traveling all my life, too. And I have done trips I planned myself. But just like you said, it's SO NICE to not have to worry about the kinds of things you listed. In my opinion, yes, it *is* worth every penny.

Sayhello
I agree, I work to travel for sure (so I guess I will never retire!) and my "bucket list" is long and I am not getting any younger!.
I have been on 4 cruises so I am "cruised out" as it were. I see that Norwegian does offer a few "single" staterooms now but not sure how they price out. I would truly love to do the South Africa ABD, but wow, it is just out of my monetary comfort zone for now.
My next venture will be Scotland/England so I will save for that instead unless I can find a roomie for Africa!
Just 4 months and 3 weeks to Italy!

I'm totally with you on this. I'm kind of used to it by now, but it still hurts the wallet. But the other option is to not travel, and that's not going to happen!

But it's also made me much, MUCH less likely to cruise now, because a lot of lines (including DCL) actually charge an extra 100% now for a solo cruiser (it used to be a lot less!). At least ABD is "only" an extra 40%.

Tobi, you should look into river cruises. Besides being a really nice, relaxing way to travel, Tauck and Uniworld often have many cruises with no single supplement. I'm not as familiar with the pricing for other companies, but they may well do the same.

Tobi, you should look into river cruises. Besides being a really nice, relaxing way to travel, Tauck and Uniworld often have many cruises with no single supplement. I'm not as familiar with the pricing for other companies, but they may well do the same.
Thanks, Bobo. I've been toying with the idea of a river cruise with Uniworld. I have a friend who took a river cruise with them, and she really liked it. Thanks for the info about them not having a single supplement. I didn't know that!

Sayhello

Thanks, Bobo. I've been toying with the idea of a river cruise with Uniworld. I have a friend who took a river cruise with them, and she really liked it. Thanks for the info about them not having a single supplement. I didn't know that!

Sayhello
Tauck also posted on their Facebook page today that they are lowering the prices of their river cruises due to the favorable dollar/euro exchange rate. It would be nice if other companies would follow suit.

Tauck also posted on their Facebook page today that they are lowering the prices of their river cruises due to the favorable dollar/euro exchange rate. It would be nice if other companies would follow suit.
It sure would!!!

Sayhello

AmaWaterways too

Absolutely a great time to travel to Europe!! When we were in Prague, the CZK exchange is amazingly low, I think we spent a steal for 6 nights in Prague - less than 3K for food, hotel, tours and entrance fees for a family of 3!

Wow, I didn't know that either. Must check that out. Viking sends me stuff all the time but I think they charge the solo extra

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter