40 Years AGO Tomorrow!!!

Watched it opening day; best day of my preteen 10 year old life.

I spent countless hours watching MTV (and later VH1, because who didn't love Pop Up Videos??) until after high school.

I dislike the current format; I loved watching videos and music news, not 'reality' shows.

Last edited:
I never realized MTV was older than me. We didn’t get satellite until I was a senior in HS. I watched Much Music more than MTV though because the bands I liked at the time were mostly on there.

Much Music was okay, but it came out 3 years after MTV.

Much was well done in the day. And The NewMusic, that started in 1979 and then continued on Much, was fantastic. You would never get any artist to be so free and easy these days. What a vault of precious footage.

And how would JD Roberts (John - Fox News) be standing so eloquently in the White House press room without those crazy years?;):drinking1

Last edited:
Where I'm from MTV wasn't part of a regular cable package; it was available via satellite only and nobody I knew had one. I didn't see MTV until I was 18 and legal to go to a bar (1985). The first video I ever saw was Cyndi Lauper "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun". :rockband:

The first time I saw it was on a shopping trip to Grand Forks in 1990. Before that, we were the cool house because we had Much Music lol

Seems like yesterday??? NOT REALLY, just not that LONG AGO !!!

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment...was-held-together-by-duct-tape-034116917.html
" ... At midnight on Aug. 1, 1981, Martha Quinn, Mark Goodman, Nina Blackwood, Alan Hunter, and J.J. Jackson stood inside the Loft restaurant in Fort Lee, N.J., to watch music history being made. The now-iconic “moon landing” guitar riff blasted; Warner Cable executive John Lack intoned, “Ladies and gentlemen, rock ‘n’ roll”; the Buggles’ “Video Killed the Radio Star” hit the small screen… and just minutes later, the new cable channel MTV suffered its first technical difficulty... "

I was *down south* on that day watching, from a hotel room. On my way down or back from Walt Disney World. I can actually remember the look of the motel. And the tiny tv.

And since it was forty years ago, it took quite a bit to figure out how the hell did I see that first day when I have never had a dish.

Much was well done in the day. And The New Music, that started in 1979 and then continued on Much, was fantastic. You would never get any artist to be so free and easy these days. What a vault of precious footage.

And how would JD Roberts (John) be standing so eloquently in the White House press room without those crazy years?;):drinking1

View attachment 593646

View attachment 593647
View attachment 593648
I did love the New Music way back in the day when JD and Jeanne were the hosts.. :)

I did love the New Music way back in the day when JD and Jeanne were the hosts.. :)

Oh man, the things we forget. I just remembered Electric Circus. :drinking1:laughing:

And how you literally could be on the sidewalk and mere feet away from a famous musician at Much, with an open window at street level and just a few big guys watching everything.

Last edited:
:laughing: Wait, what? OK, according to google, yes, yes we did. I don't remember ever watching it.

Aha!!! I know more Canadian history than you!! :duck:

I THINK I first saw Much Music on a June 1983 trip to Toronto, but it may have been later than that. The hotel TV didn’t receive MTV.

This is a year old, but the sentiment still stands :thumbsup2

135536484_2863114113961581_6002767524950007205_n.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter