• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

417 tolls

AS long as you stay on the Highway, both are accepted. BUT, when you leave the Highway, it is electronic or coins. No manned booths.

are the tolls on 417 all electronic or is cash accepted in manned tolls
Between the airport and the International Drive/World Center Drive exit to WDW, there are two mainline toll plazas where you can pay cash tolls, $1.75 each.

Last edited:

If you are driving your own vehicle, you can also sign up to use Toll-by-Plate via the ePass app. It's a bit pricier than with a transponder, but only a little. This option cannot be used with rental cars though.

Wow, thanks for this thread and the info! We haven't been down since 2018, and I didn't realize E-Z Pass was accepted now. That will save us digging out cash!

One more option if you are renting but have a transponder at home is to bring it. I bring my Ohio EZpass to Florida and have no problems in the Orlando area.

Giving this thread a bump since I was looking for this exact bit of info. We will be driving (in our own car) from WDW to the port. I've done that drive before and know there are tolls, but didn't feel like dealing with all the change. Digging around on the Sunpass Toll site map, it looks like there are 3 toll plazas between the I-4/528 interchange and the port, all of which accept Toll by Plate. I didn't see anything about having to sign up for it in advance though. Looks like you get mailed the invoices and then you can pay them on the epass app. Anyone had different experiences?

Giving this thread a bump since I was looking for this exact bit of info. We will be driving (in our own car) from WDW to the port. I've done that drive before and know there are tolls, but didn't feel like dealing with all the change. Digging around on the Sunpass Toll site map, it looks like there are 3 toll plazas between the I-4/528 interchange and the port, all of which accept Toll by Plate. I didn't see anything about having to sign up for it in advance though. Looks like you get mailed the invoices and then you can pay them on the epass app. Anyone had different experiences?
Of those three toll plazas, the one closest to I-4 is operated by the State of FL. The other two are operated by the Central FL Expressway Authority. You would be billed separately by each agency for the tolls they operate.

Of those three toll plazas, the one closest to I-4 is operated by the State of FL. The other two are operated by the Central FL Expressway Authority. You would be billed separately by each agency for the tolls they operate.
Good to know! Just glad that they are all doing the toll by plate. Last time I drove the toll roads around WDW (like 3 years ago) you had to chuck your change in those little baskets ha.

THANK YOU for this info! I have been trying to figure out the options for tolls and it is bonkers how much the rental car company charges.

We were in the same situation and we Google mapped our trip to avoid all of the toll roads. It took a whopping 6 minutes more to use the back roads into the airport and involved a whole lot less traffic than we saw the short time we were on I-4. No tolls and no issues--usual stops and starts, turns and twists--but a totally pleasant and stress free drive.

Years ago when we lived in MD we bought a Sunpass. It worked great, We are permanent Florida residents now and I still have the same Sunpass transponder. Finally got rid of my EZpass MD now that Sunpass PRO is out.

One more option if you are renting but have a transponder at home is to bring it. I bring my Ohio EZpass to Florida and have no problems in the Orlando area.

NC Quickpass and Georgia Peach pass are also accepted. It is nice to just drive right past the toll booths when I'm in my car with my quickpass.

Good to know! Just glad that they are all doing the toll by plate. Last time I drove the toll roads around WDW (like 3 years ago) you had to chuck your change in those little baskets ha.
There are Express Lanes on part of SR-528. You are not allowed to use the Express Lanes without a transponder.

Years ago when we lived in MD we bought a Sunpass. It worked great, We are permanent Florida residents now and I still have the same Sunpass transponder. Finally got rid of my EZpass MD now that Sunpass PRO is out.
I'm in Kentucky...from what I was reading the one here won't work on all the ones in Florida, but the Sunpass Pro will work here. Had been putting off buying one for here because we really don't use it much but now I'm sporting a Sunpass one.

There are Express Lanes on part of SR-528. You are not allowed to use the Express Lanes without a transponder.
But does sound like all the tolls are using toll-by-plate though right? When I looked on the website it looked like all the ones along that route had it anyways. And for that you don't need a transponder, it just sends you the bill later to the address attached to your plate, correct?

I'm in Kentucky...from what I was reading the one here won't work on all the ones in Florida, but the Sunpass Pro will work here. Had been putting off buying one for here because we really don't use it much but now I'm sporting a Sunpass one.
I thought Kentucky was an EZ-Pass state. If so, that pass now works throughout the Florida toll road system (both Sunpass and EPass/Uni). The Sunpass (FL DOT) toll roads were recently updated to accept EZ-Pass, which as worked on the Central Florida Expressway (CFXWay) roads (primarily 417 in the WDW area) for a number of years.

I thought Kentucky was an EZ-Pass state. If so, that pass now works throughout the Florida toll road system (both Sunpass and EPass/Uni). The Sunpass (FL DOT) toll roads were recently updated to accept EZ-Pass, which as worked on the Central Florida Expressway (CFXWay) roads (primarily 417 in the WDW area) for a number of years.
Kentucky has two different transponders available. One is a sticker which only works on the local tolled bridges. The other which is a physical transponder and is E-ZPass compatible.

https://riverlink.com/tolling-options-rates/transponder/types/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter