5 day, 4 night trip to WDW staying at OKW

Nickylv

DIS Veteran
DAY 1 travel
Our 4 night 5 day trip to Disney World. On this trip we will be Staying in a one bedroom at Old Key West. Flying from Las Vegas to Orlando airport. We chose Old Key West this time since we recently purchased points there to use for a point affordable three bedroom Grandvilla to host our family vacations. When we landed in Orlando we already received our room number and checkin information on our phone. Getting into our rented car it was off to Disney World and begin our short trip. But before we get to our destination we needed to stop at a supermarket and gather up some eccentials needed for our stay. Shopping finished, we arrive at Old Key West and our one bedroom. When we arrived we were happy to see a very large kitchen, dining and livingroom area. A very nice size one bedroom with connecting bath. We did notice that there was no door to the bathroom from the living area so you need to get to the bathroom through the bedroom, however it is just the two of us so it doesn’t matter. If you are going with others make sure you make it known that you need a one bedroom with a door to the bathroom from the living area. Outside there is a large porch overlooking a pond with a water feature and the golf course. This place is going to be very nice and comfortable for our stay here at OKW. We had made reservations at Olivias for dinner so it was time to head to the restaurant. I had the Shrimp Pasta which was okay. My wife had the Fried Chicken which is raved about in many blogs, but was just okay. We expected more because of the reviews.

On a comical but serious side note, my wife had told me about how many (not necessarily at any Disney Properties) rooms have been robbed in the middle of the night by theives using a credit card to unlock the slide lock that we think makes the door safely locked but they use a credit card through the crack in the door and are able to slide the lock open and enter the room while you are sleeping. So I looked around the place for something to slide infront of this slide to make it impossible for a thief to unlock this door. I found a large surrated knife in the kitchen that I slid in between the lock and the door and this made it impossible for anyone to use a card to unlock this door. Happy with my invention we called it a night. (See pics)
to be continued

Last edited:

Day 2
The next morning. My wife was having her breakfast and I was having my coffee when there was a knock at the door. I yelled thru the closed door “yes who is it”. It was a cast member who said he was here to empty the trash. I yelled through the door we just checked in late last night and there was no trash. He insisted on coming in. I know this is necessary for them to come in and look at the room for safety reasons. I said just one minute, I lifted the large knife out between the lock and door. I opened the door and not even thinking I said come on in, waving this large knife in my hand. I noticed this guy had fright in his eyes and he just stood there not entering. I could not understand why until my wife yelled to me, you know you have a knife in your hand. I looked and realized how this looked and ran into the kitchen and put it in the drawer and went back to the door and told him sorry come on in.
Soon it was out to Epcot for the International Festival of the Arts.
We spent the early afternoon walking around epcot tasting the foods at different booths, Mexico-Huarache De Champinones, very nice. Italy-Mozzarella Fritta, delicious, ravioli Al Funghi, very good. France-Creme De Bris en Petit Pain, very good, Frozen French Martini, very refreshing. Pop eats-Tomato Soup with Grilled cheese, was okay but the grill cheese sandwich was sitting there for a while and was soggy. As we walked back to the bus we stopped to ride Living With The Land and then took the bus back to our room to get ready for the hoop dee doo. We drove to the wilderness camp ground. That is the only drawback staying at OKW, you need to take a bus every where you want to go unless you have a car. Upon entering Fort Wilderness there is a parking lot that we were told to park in. This is where a bus picks you up to take you to the hoop dee doo. It was my wifes birthday so they announced her birthday along with all those in the audience that were also celebrating their birthday. Show was great. Haven’t been to this show in many years. I have to say this show is probably the best value in Disney. Dinner and a fun show makes a very entertaining night. Time to Head back to the room and call it a night. Just an FYI I do not eat meat, pork or chicken which is what they serve. Before entering I stated that I was a vegetarian and when the food came I was served a plant based sausage and a Jackfruit mixture that was suposed to resemble pulled pork. These offerings were not good at all. So I did not eat them. However I was told the cowboy beans were vegetarian so I had the salad, beans, mac and cheese, mashed potatoes and cornbread and was very satisfied.

Day three

The next morning the cast member arrived at the door again but this time I took the knife out of the door and put it away before opening the door and inviting him in. I told him this time no knife and he laughed.

Today is Animal Kingdom. But first stop, I need to get something to eat since I did not have any breakfast, not really a breakfast person, so I used the mobile order ahead app. If you have never used this feature, if your ordering something from a quick service I definately recommend it. You order ahead on your phone, it will gives you a window of time to pick your order up. You find a table to eat at before you let them know you are ready to pick up your order. Then right on the app you let them know you are ready to pick up and at that point they get your order ready and tell you go to the window. Then when you get to the window you just pick up your order, no wait and as long as you have someone sitting at the table you wont need to walk all over looking for a place to sit, you already have your table before you even let them know you were ready for your order. Its the best. Anyway I ordered ahead at Restaurantosauru a cobb salad for my wife and fried shrimp with french fries for myself. In case your wondering I do eat fish. Well for a quick service it was not too bad. After eating we were walking by the bird show which was just ready to begin so we just walked in and sat down. Show was very entertaining. Next was kilamonjaro safari always a must go when we are at the Animal Kingdom. Great as always. Then over to one of the best shows The Lion King, amazing. Soon we were ready for our last attraction before leaving the park The Nabi River ride. A great finish for our short stay in the park. We have dinner reservations at the Boat House which is one of our favorite restaurants so we need to head back to Old Key West and get ready for dinner. We decided it was best to just drive over to Disney Springs so we would not have to wait for a bus. Dinner at the boat house was excellent as always, As a pescatarian I do not eat meat, only fish, so the Boat House has a menu that has much to choose from. A regular restaurant usually has only one fish which is usually Salmon and that is the only fish I do not like. Sometimes they have some vegetarian dish which is usually not the best option. Not really thinking a roasted cauliflower dinner will hold me over for long period of time. we had appetizers my wife had the buffalo shrimp and I had a house salad and a cup of Lobster Bisque. Great! Next our main course. My wife had the Rib Eye Steak she loved it and I got the Lobster tail and crab meat which was also excellent. After sharing creme brulee we head back to the car. On the way we stopped at the Disney store since it was so cold outside and we did not bring jackets. My wife purchased a coat and it was back to the car and Old Key west.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter