50sPTC review--7/12/06

Rock'n Robin

Disney Queen
Day 2 of our trip--me, DH, DD14, DD11, DS8.
We had eaten at the 50s PTC twice before on other trips and the kids really like it, so I booked it for our MGM evening. The last two times DH has gotten into trouble for elbows on the table. He tried to get into trouble this time and DD#2 kept pointing it out to "mom" but she turned it on her for tattling! We were beginning to think no one would get in trouble but when "Mom" was out of the room, my DDs started playing some game with punching involved and a "cousin" serving the next table made DD#1 get up and put her nose against the wall! It was hysterical--when "Mom" came back she said "I was only gone 2 minutes!" The "Cousin" brought back a kazoo and played na na na na na na" on it an then let DD sit down (she hardly ever had her nose on the wall anyhow--very easily distracted at 14, "are any boys watching me?").
As for the food--DH and I got the shrimp appetizer, DD#1 got the onion rings, DD#2 got the fried cheese and DS got a kiddie salad. The shrimp was not really good--it was OK, but not very chilled and a little limp. If I would go back I would share an order of onion rings--they were really, really good but she got a lot of them!
For our meals DH got the salmon, I got the fried chicken, DD#1 got the meatloaf and DD#2 got the steak. DS got mac and cheese. DH enjoyed his salmon. I thought the chicken was OK--I've had it before, and I"m not a pot roast type of girl so I got it again. It was better than fast food but I can't rave about it. DD#1 liked the meatloaf--not as much as mine, but I don't use ketchup in mine and she had to adjust to the difference. She really, really likes mine! :cheer2: DD#2 liked the steak. Halfway through the meal DS pulled a stomach ache face and was so convincing the waitress even believed it. But it was a quick 20 minute bug and he bounced right back as soon as he didn't have to finish is mac and cheese.
For dessert both girls got the s'mores which were awesome, and DH and I got ice cream sundaes--no chocolate though, which I get 99.9% of the time. Only hot fudge. Kind of a weird thing to not have chocolate sauce available, I thought.
All in all we got a solid meal but compared to some of the other things we ate on this trip it was toward the bottom of the rankings.
Total including tip was $167.
Robin M.

Thanks for the review. We are eating there in about a month from now. My DH and I haven't been there since 1994. I have been telling my DS's about the elbows on the table and that "mom" will make them eat all their green beans etc. They are not too excited to be eating there, however, I think it will be fun for all of us. :)

Enjoyed reading your review ~ Thanx for sharing.

Thanks for sharing your review. Sounds like you all had a fun time! :woohoo:

Thanks for the reviews, we are actually trying there for the first time this up~coming trip.

LOVED!!!! your story thanx for sharing

Have a magical trip at Walt Disney World :wizard:

P.S Cant wait to see jonny depp pirate:

Yo HO YO HO a pirate's life for me!!!!!

Rock'n Robin said:
DD#1 got the onion rings, DD#2 got the fried cheese and DS got a kiddie salad. The shrimp was not really good--it was OK, but not very chilled and a little limp. If I would go back I would share an order of onion rings--they were really, really good but she got a lot of them!

Were the onion rings really thin and served in a loaf? They used to be, and last summer they switched to the big thick style. We used to love those thin onion rings!

Thanks for sharing! We have ADR there for our December trip and I am excited for my kids to try it. DH and I last ate there in 1997 and the Smores were great as I remember!

Allyson

Just come back from eating there tonight - it was a hoot. The pot roast was excellent and the choc milk shakes so rich & yummy that my kids couldn't eat a dessert :thumbsup2 Great interaction between the 'moms' and even on the way to the restroom my 14 yr old son was humiliated by a waiter who made him perform 'I'm a little teapot' to 2 pretty teenage girls :rotfl2: . Great night :cheer2: By the way the onion rings were fairly thick rings - around 7 or 8 per portion

nibby said:
Just come back from eating there tonight - it was a hoot. The pot roast was excellent and the choc milk shakes so rich & yummy that my kids couldn't eat a dessert :thumbsup2 Great interaction between the 'moms' and even on the way to the restroom my 14 yr old son was humiliated by a waiter who made him perform 'I'm a little teapot' to 2 pretty teenage girls :rotfl2: . Great night :cheer2: By the way the onion rings were fairly thick rings - around 7 or 8 per portion

LOL! My son had to perfrom the same song a few years ago! I love it when there is a lot of interaction~bummer about the inion rings, it sounds like they are not going back to the thin ones. They were so good! Saved myslef a million calories though! LOL!
:cool1:

i discovered 50's last year, and loved it!! I cant wait to go back in Sept. For the onion rings. I never tried them, but heard they are sweet, and delish. Also, going for that yummy fried chicken, and the to die for peanut butter shake. First time, I tasted it. OMG!! Sept, cant come fast enough!! Thanks OP for the review!!

I don't think I am going to be able to decide between the chicken pot pie or the fried chicken. Looking forward to the visit to 50s in any event!! :cool1:

matt&jakesmom said:
We are eating there in about a month from now. My DH and I haven't been there since 1994. I have been telling my DS's about the elbows on the table and that "mom" will make them eat all their green beans etc. :)

We ate here on 8/5, and were disappointed. We've eaten there before, and loved it. In fact, it was the only place where DD would actually eat the green beans (or any veg actually). However, this time, no green beans. In its place-

CREAMED SPINACH! :eek:

The smell was so overpowering, that DD barely touched her fried chicken, which she normall loves. I had the pot roast with gingered julienne of carrots. YUCK to gingered carrots! Not my cup of tea. I usually love the pot roast, but this particular cut was very fatty. The mashed potatoes weren't great either. Very disappointing, because we look forward to eating there all week when we go. :sad2:

We had the shrimp cocktails for apps (which were very good), and DD had the smores and I had the apple cobbler for dessert. We took dessert with us in doggie bags, because the spinach put us off so badly.

DD and I agreed to put 50's on hiatus, and try a different MGM restaurant instead. We've tried Mama Melrose's (pretty yummy), and will probably try Sci-Fi for a lunch.

We did 50's on our last trip. Everyone was so excited and then so let down. Nobody around us got yelled at for elbows, made to stand in a corner or had to sing. My DD7 keeps asking if we can go to the "MOM" place on our next trip. When I remind her we ate there she argues with me. "I wasn't told to eat my veggies". We're gonna try it again...hopefully this time we will get the full act. :thumbsup2
Sharon

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter