6th Annual Christmas Thread

I've already started & made some serious headway. Nephews are taken care of (tees from Hollister/deep clearance) & my grandnephew is going to be spoiled by this family! Nothing for either set of parents or my kids but its all good.
We're suppose to be going to Disney so I've offered the kids some spending money instead of gifts for Christmas. They seem good with it.

HI!! :welcome:! And I would take Disney over presents any day! :)

I have never joined before but I will this year. We are DH and I, DS17 and DD4 (will turn 5 in December). We have a few traditions around the holidays.

First, Thanksgiving. We host. We are far from our real families and DH works with the Navy. We sort of adopt his coworkers and host holidays and events for/with them. We all get the big family gathering with none of the family drama. It is great. This year will be bitter sweet. While we have gotten some great new families in, I have lost three of my guys in the last month to transfers. :sad1: Unfortunately they can't "come home" for the holidays.

Christmas is started late here since DD's birthday is at the beginning of the month. I don't want her day to be lost in the holiday. We go over to Destin to Build A Bear every year and get a new lovey and visit Santa's Workshop at Bass Pro Shop. Then stop off and get a chocolate from the fancy sweet's place. This year will bring a new tradition. DH's grandma always sent us a box of cookies. She passed away last week. DH would like for me to carry on the tradition so I will try to do so.

As for gifts, some Disney book collection was on super sale in May so ordered that for DD. Just got DS a new wallet for his stocking.

I am trying to stick to 4 gifts, a stocking, a family gift, and Santa gift.

I am sorry to hear about DH's grandmother. What a beautiful way to keep her memory alive :)

I am sorry to hear about DH's grandmother. What a beautiful way to keep her memory alive :)

Thank you. It was hard. We lost my Uncle just a week before. It has been a month of losses for us. But I think that keeping her tradition going will help with the healing.

I hear Christmas music .... but only on my head and i am ok with that lol! Some ideas for my family:

DH - and I have been married for 11 years. He is difficult to shop for because every time I come up with a fantastic gift he ends up buying it before I do grrrr. - will probably get him Dunkin Donuts, Home Depot and Barnes and Nobles Gift certificates but still trying to think of something more personal. DH has a Jan birthday

DS (8) - loves hockey (huge Patrick Kane/Chicago Blackhawks fan) so might get him a jersey. Likes surfing and has asked for a hard surfboard. Star Wars, Legos and XBox. Birthday comes up in February.

DD (9) - she loves American Girls so I am sure she will have a list from there. She wants a bedroom make over too. I know I had other ideas for her but they are not coming to me know. DD birthday is in Nov.

I'm off to bed now ... Good night ladies!

I'm in! For a white Christmas, consider Banff or Whistler in Canada -- both are supposed to be quite lovely from folks I've talked to. You can also look at mountains in CO like Steamboat Springs, Vail and Telluride or think about Utah. Problem is guaranteeing snow on Christmas is iffy but there will be machine-produced at least.

Our Christmas surprise is a DLR trip right before Christmas so that's our main present to the kids. DD we are looking at a refurbished tablet and DS a work bench I got years ago on clearance plus dinosaur and octonaut stuff. Haven't thought about anyone else yet!

Thank you. It was hard. We lost my Uncle just a week before. It has been a month of losses for us. But I think that keeping her tradition going will help with the healing.

So sorry:flower3:
I'm in! For a white Christmas, consider Banff or Whistler in Canada -- both are supposed to be quite lovely from folks I've talked to. You can also look at mountains in CO like Steamboat Springs, Vail and Telluride or think about Utah. Problem is guaranteeing snow on Christmas is iffy but there will be machine-produced at least.

Our Christmas surprise is a DLR trip right before Christmas so that's our main present to the kids. DD we are looking at a refurbished tablet and DS a work bench I got years ago on clearance plus dinosaur and octonaut stuff. Haven't thought about anyone else yet!

cool idea! Thanks!! Have been to CO in the late spring, not the winter...don't stone me but I absolutely did NOT like Colorado at all....we had a dusting snowfall and it was pretty..but I wasn't really impressed.. i did like the Cont Divide!! That was my favorite thing~of course it was covered in snow!!!! Good ideas on your kids' gifts too!

Good Night Maggie Ann!:wave2:

So sorry:flower3:

cool idea! Thanks!! Have been to CO in the late spring, not the winter...don't stone me but I absolutely did NOT like Colorado at all....we had a dusting snowfall and it was pretty..but I wasn't really impressed.. i did like the Cont Divide!! That was my favorite thing~of course it was covered in snow!!!! Good ideas on your kids' gifts too!

Good Night Maggie Ann!:wave2:

Yay!

How about Minneapolis/St. Paul? That was my first thought after Colorado ;)

I am glad this thread has been started. Thank you!

Our kids are girl/boy twins, age 9. DS is still into his Legos, but DD is growing out of AG, somewhat. :sad: She is heavily into art supplies, though, so an art desk is likely in her future. She gets her talent from DH, and he is much more knowledgeable about what sort of desk would be appropriate, so that is his department!

I've picked up a couple of things from Shopko clearance, and we will be at Disney Dec 18-23, so I need to be DONE (and WRAPPED) by the time we leave. I imagine that some stocking stuffers will be obtained at WDW too. :)

I'm in too! AND we are leaving for WDW three weeks from tomorrow too! Woo hoo!

Awesome! :wizard:

We're staying at All Star Movies for the first time. 9/1-9/9
(We're driving down.)
We like Aug./Sept., though it is very hot and humid, and rains a lot.
The lure of Free dining is too great to ignore.

If you see a family of 10 (ages 3 through adult),
all wearing the same color t-shirt,
(though one day the boys will be gray, girls pink)
come over and say "HI".
:thumbsup2

I don't have kids of my own, but I really enjoy these threads. My life is in such an odd place right now. My mom passed in May and I am stuck in TN until I can get her house sold. Once that happens I am moving up to Indiana to be closer to my family. No matter what I will be up there for Christmas. I don't want to be away from my family for my first Christmas without my mom.

So this year I have to buy for:
My Cousin
Her Husband
Their 2 kids
The other 5 kids of my other cousin's
My Grandmother
My Dad
My Aunt (Dad's side)

The only things I have bought are clothes for the 2 kids. They are small enough that sizes are still pretty easy to figure! They each have 2 pairs or shorts or pants and like 3 shirts due to insane sales. I have only spent about $20 total on them so far. I will get each a toy or two and then a book each. Yes, I spoil them!

Not sure what I will get my cousin and her husband separately, but I will get them a joint gift of some Disney stuff. We are planning a trip in 2015 so I want to get them a planning book and maybe a couple little things.

The other kids will get a piece of clothing and a toy. With them I budget about $20 each (there are issues with their mom that makes spending money on the kids a risk. They may or may not get to keep their stuff if it is expensive as their mom might sell it). The girls might get some inexpensive jewelry as a part of it. The oldest boy will get a book or two because I want to nurture his current love of reading. I may just do a gift card and then take him to the store after Christmas to let him pick out what he wants though.

My aunt always gets an ornament for Christmas. It is sort of our thing.

My dad and grandma I have no idea yet!

Yay!

How about Minneapolis/St. Paul? That was my first thought after Colorado ;)

I am glad this thread has been started. Thank you!

Our kids are girl/boy twins, age 9. DS is still into his Legos, but DD is growing out of AG, somewhat. :sad: She is heavily into art supplies, though, so an art desk is likely in her future. She gets her talent from DH, and he is much more knowledgeable about what sort of desk would be appropriate, so that is his department!

I've picked up a couple of things from Shopko clearance, and we will be at Disney Dec 18-23, so I need to be DONE (and WRAPPED) by the time we leave. I imagine that some stocking stuffers will be obtained at WDW too. :)

I would love to go there!! A friend of mine I met here is from up there and I think that would be a blast!!
I think your goal should be before Thanksgiving...that way you can relax and focus on last minute trip stuff before you leave and not shopping!:thumbsup2 How fun to be there that close to Christmas!
Awesome! :wizard:

We're staying at All Star Movies for the first time. 9/1-9/9
(We're driving down.)
We like Aug./Sept., though it is very hot and humid, and rains a lot.
The lure of Free dining is too great to ignore.

If you see a family of 10 (ages 3 through adult),
all wearing the same color t-shirt,
(though one day the boys will be gray, girls pink)
come over and say "HI".
:thumbsup2

We stayed at the All Stars way back when we were still a family of 4...I really enjoyed it!!

I don't have kids of my own, but I really enjoy these threads. My life is in such an odd place right now. My mom passed in May and I am stuck in TN until I can get her house sold. Once that happens I am moving up to Indiana to be closer to my family. No matter what I will be up there for Christmas. I don't want to be away from my family for my first Christmas without my mom.

So this year I have to buy for:
My Cousin
Her Husband
Their 2 kids
The other 5 kids of my other cousin's
My Grandmother
My Dad
My Aunt (Dad's side)

The only things I have bought are clothes for the 2 kids. They are small enough that sizes are still pretty easy to figure! They each have 2 pairs or shorts or pants and like 3 shirts due to insane sales. I have only spent about $20 total on them so far. I will get each a toy or two and then a book each. Yes, I spoil them!

Not sure what I will get my cousin and her husband separately, but I will get them a joint gift of some Disney stuff. We are planning a trip in 2015 so I want to get them a planning book and maybe a couple little things.

The other kids will get a piece of clothing and a toy. With them I budget about $20 each (there are issues with their mom that makes spending money on the kids a risk. They may or may not get to keep their stuff if it is expensive as their mom might sell it). The girls might get some inexpensive jewelry as a part of it. The oldest boy will get a book or two because I want to nurture his current love of reading. I may just do a gift card and then take him to the store after Christmas to let him pick out what he wants though.

My aunt always gets an ornament for Christmas. It is sort of our thing.

My dad and grandma I have no idea yet!

:welcome: to our thread!!! I am sorry you lost your mom!:flower3: That has to be tough!! Books are always high on my list of gifts to give!!!!

Season's Greetings!! I'm glad I'm not the only one who has started thinking about Christmas!

Our house is Me, DH, DD3 and DS will have just turned 1! Me, DH and DS all have birthday's in November along with several other family members, making it even harder to come up with gift ideas. My parents fly down to visit during Christmas and my brother lives close by, so he is around most of the time my parents are. Most of DH's family lives close, but they are an odd bunch and we don't always see them much around the holidays or otherwise.

For DD's first Christmas, we started the tradition of 3 gifts and then a few little things in her stocking. This helps us keep the spending under control and helps keep the holiday focused on more than getting gifts!

This year we will introduce Elf on the Shelf and an Advent Calendar. I always had a chocolate Advent Calendar growing up, but I think I want to make one that we can use every year. I hope to make as many gifts as I can this year!

I look forward to read what everyone else is up to and get some great ideas!

Glad to see this thread has returned for another year. I actually started my shopping in April. This is what I have planned this year:

DH - We haven't had a vacation in almost 2 years. So, we are both saving money for a Universal trip in January. Even though the trip will be after Christmas, its our Christmas present to each other. I will be picking up some small things from Lowes or Home Depot to put in his stocking, though.

DS - He only wanted books again. It has taken me 5 months but I have managed to track down and purchase the ENTIRE collection of Star Wars novels. Over 375 books which I'm splitting between his bday in September and Christmas. For his stocking, I'm looking at a gift card (for our Universal trip) and a few unusual candy goodies (he loves to try new things).

2 Family Baskets (always homemade items):
I think this year I'm going to center the baskets around a theme: Relaxation. This way I can have stuff for both the guys (dad and brother-in-law) and girls (mom and sister). I need to start working on some items but I haven't quite figured out what should go in the baskets. This is what I have so far:
- Brown Sugar Scrub
- Candles
-
-
-
-
-

So as you can see, my shopping list is fairly small now. Yay! More time to enjoy the season without all the hustle and bustle.

I can't believe it's Christmas thread time already! We just booked our free Disney dining Halloween pirate: trip for Oct and can't wait for the party!:yay:

Changing gears......I have gotten a good start on Christmas gift shopping, however. My husband's family is very small and we do not have a very good relationship with them (they don't even give gifts to he and I) but they do buy gifts for our children. So what I have learned, is that it's fun to let the kids pick out gifts for all of them (MIL, FIL, BIL and SIL) and help wrap them up. They like to get things while we travel so the gifts will be unique. Found an "uncle" fishing bucket, and plush bath robe and accessories for MIL so far. Maybe we'll find something in Florida in Oct for the other 2!

Almost done with my side of the family except I'm in charge this year of our parent's group gift and can't decide what I'd like to do. :santa:Thought about new curtains for their living room (Dad keeps hinting he wants some), a personalized photo family quilt, or gift cards for hotel and airfare for travel(now that my youngest brother is married and everyone has FINALLY moved out, they want to get away a lot). I have 7 siblings and there are 29 people total in my immediate family. Each year one person is in charge of organizing the gift. Does anyone have any unique gift ideas for newly empty nesters?????:confused3

I can smell the peppermint and evergreen in the air, and hear the Christmas music already!:rolleyes1

Hi Everyone,

We shop for A LOT of kids. Besides my own DD (who will be 3 in Jan), I have 5 nieces (12, 10, 7, 5 & 4) and my BFFs 2 kids (D-7, S-5) to shop for. Then there is my DH, my parents and in laws and my grandmother.

I usually start shopping over the summer at the outlets. This year I got my 2 oldest nieces little earbud holders at the Vera Bradley outlet. I am hoping that thier iPod shuffles fit into it and not just the earbuds.
I also have a book that I bought for one of my nieces last year, but couldn't find it until well after Christmas, that I will give her this year.

Not sure what we are getting DD yet. We tend to not go crazy bc both of our parents get her more than she can possibly use (even though we tell them not too).

We usually get our parents a gift of something to do. Either play tickets or GC to movies and a restaurant. It may seem boring, but they don't go out much otherwise.

We have one disney related tradition. Every Thanksgiving we take out our Disney Christmas snow globe. It's always the first decoration we put out.

We usually do Christmas dinner at our house. This year DH keeps insisting we still will. However, I will be about 39 weeks pregnant at the time and think maybe we should make other plans, as I may be giving birth. Haha.

Does anyone know if it's completely sold out for all of Xmas Week, or if it's not open for reservations yet? I called, and they couldn't tell me which....

Does anyone know if it's completely sold out for all of Xmas Week, or if it's not open for reservations yet? I called, and they couldn't tell me which....

Not open for December yet ... in fact not even open for Nov! There's a wonderful thread that a friend of mine hosts and it is by far the best place for the latest info on the Dessert Party. Stop by and say hi. I think the link I'm posting is for the last post .... there is a lot of useful info in the first post of the thread .... history of release dates etc.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3144695&goto=newpost

I just saw this thread and thought what a charming idea!!! Last year all the ladies on my list received hand knit shawls and I did some cross stitch for others. This year not so much! Still hoping that I have time to get some stuff made but it's not looking good.

Probably the most exciting Christmas plan this year is a trip to WDW in early December with some lovely ladies I met here on the Dis!! :thumbsup2

Season's Greetings!! I'm glad I'm not the only one who has started thinking about Christmas!

Our house is Me, DH, DD3 and DS will have just turned 1! Me, DH and DS all have birthday's in November along with several other family members, making it even harder to come up with gift ideas. My parents fly down to visit during Christmas and my brother lives close by, so he is around most of the time my parents are. Most of DH's family lives close, but they are an odd bunch and we don't always see them much around the holidays or otherwise.

For DD's first Christmas, we started the tradition of 3 gifts and then a few little things in her stocking. This helps us keep the spending under control and helps keep the holiday focused on more than getting gifts!

This year we will introduce Elf on the Shelf and an Advent Calendar. I always had a chocolate Advent Calendar growing up, but I think I want to make one that we can use every year. I hope to make as many gifts as I can this year!

I look forward to read what everyone else is up to and get some great ideas!

:welcome: Elf on the Shelf is so fun when they are little!!!
Glad to see this thread has returned for another year. I actually started my shopping in April. This is what I have planned this year:

DH - We haven't had a vacation in almost 2 years. So, we are both saving money for a Universal trip in January. Even though the trip will be after Christmas, its our Christmas present to each other. I will be picking up some small things from Lowes or Home Depot to put in his stocking, though.

DS - He only wanted books again. It has taken me 5 months but I have managed to track down and purchase the ENTIRE collection of Star Wars novels. Over 375 books which I'm splitting between his bday in September and Christmas. For his stocking, I'm looking at a gift card (for our Universal trip) and a few unusual candy goodies (he loves to try new things).

2 Family Baskets (always homemade items):
I think this year I'm going to center the baskets around a theme: Relaxation. This way I can have stuff for both the guys (dad and brother-in-law) and girls (mom and sister). I need to start working on some items but I haven't quite figured out what should go in the baskets. This is what I have so far:
- Brown Sugar Scrub
- Candles
-
-
-
-
-

So as you can see, my shopping list is fairly small now. Yay! More time to enjoy the season without all the hustle and bustle.

Glad to BE back!! Thanks!! Love your gift basket idea...how about those things that you fill with rice and you heat them up for when you have neck/back pain? I have no idea how to make that, but I always want to find out!!! And throw in some homemade cookies and fudge!!!!

I can't believe it's Christmas thread time already! We just booked our free Disney dining Halloween pirate: trip for Oct and can't wait for the party!:yay:

Changing gears......I have gotten a good start on Christmas gift shopping, however. My husband's family is very small and we do not have a very good relationship with them (they don't even give gifts to he and I) but they do buy gifts for our children. So what I have learned, is that it's fun to let the kids pick out gifts for all of them (MIL, FIL, BIL and SIL) and help wrap them up. They like to get things while we travel so the gifts will be unique. Found an "uncle" fishing bucket, and plush bath robe and accessories for MIL so far. Maybe we'll find something in Florida in Oct for the other 2!

Almost done with my side of the family except I'm in charge this year of our parent's group gift and can't decide what I'd like to do. :santa:Thought about new curtains for their living room (Dad keeps hinting he wants some), a personalized photo family quilt, or gift cards for hotel and airfare for travel(now that my youngest brother is married and everyone has FINALLY moved out, they want to get away a lot). I have 7 siblings and there are 29 people total in my immediate family. Each year one person is in charge of organizing the gift. Does anyone have any unique gift ideas for newly empty nesters?????:confused3

I can smell the peppermint and evergreen in the air, and hear the Christmas music already!:rolleyes1

For the group gift I like the idea of airfare/travel money!! With 7 siblings y'all could really give a great monetary gift!!! That is what I would love if I finally had all my kids out of the house~ for them to send me and hubby on a great trip!! Or maybe you could find out somewhere they have always wanted to go and come up with at least Half and offer to plan it....

Hi Everyone,

We shop for A LOT of kids. Besides my own DD (who will be 3 in Jan), I have 5 nieces (12, 10, 7, 5 & 4) and my BFFs 2 kids (D-7, S-5) to shop for. Then there is my DH, my parents and in laws and my grandmother.

I usually start shopping over the summer at the outlets. This year I got my 2 oldest nieces little earbud holders at the Vera Bradley outlet. I am hoping that thier iPod shuffles fit into it and not just the earbuds.
I also have a book that I bought for one of my nieces last year, but couldn't find it until well after Christmas, that I will give her this year.

Not sure what we are getting DD yet. We tend to not go crazy bc both of our parents get her more than she can possibly use (even though we tell them not too).

We usually get our parents a gift of something to do. Either play tickets or GC to movies and a restaurant. It may seem boring, but they don't go out much otherwise.

We have one disney related tradition. Every Thanksgiving we take out our Disney Christmas snow globe. It's always the first decoration we put out.

We usually do Christmas dinner at our house. This year DH keeps insisting we still will. However, I will be about 39 weeks pregnant at the time and think maybe we should make other plans, as I may be giving birth. Haha.

You do have lots of gifts to buy!! And I am officially taking you off the hook for Christmas dinner!! I think someone else needs to step up to the plate~(no pun intended) whether you are delivered or not..you don't need the stress at that point!!! Love the Snow Globe idea!

I just saw this thread and thought what a charming idea!!! Last year all the ladies on my list received hand knit shawls and I did some cross stitch for others. This year not so much! Still hoping that I have time to get some stuff made but it's not looking good.

Probably the most exciting Christmas plan this year is a trip to WDW in early December with some lovely ladies I met here on the Dis!! :thumbsup2

I like the WDW trip idea!!! How fun is that going to be!!!! Glad to have you here!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter