6th Annual Christmas Thread

Do any of you know someone who collects Precious Moments? I have a boxful that I need to sell…I thought if anyone you knew collected them you could PM me and I could get them the info…I have over 20 pieces… It would be a great Christmas gift for a Precious Moments lover!

Great ideas already!

There are 8 of us, so everyone's doing what they'd like....some are funny, tacky, thoughtful, etc.

Examples: 'Lords-a-leaping' = a dvd of the "Lord of the Dance" along with a pack of Bengay saying "for the lords when they have finished their leaping". For '8 maids-a-milking'= a throw with 8 photos, one of each of us posing either cleaning with a vacuum, milking a cow, one wearing my Grandma's old square dancing dress holding a shot gun.... For '6 geese-a-laying'=6 paper mache eggs with a special item in each.

I got quite a bit of shopping done on Black Friday and the week before. I got the boys' pajamas I needed at Walmart and Disney Infinity characters from Gamestop, if they ship. All I have left now are a few odds and ends. My lists changed dramatically from what I wanted to get because of some hits to my budget. Here's what I have now:

DD17:
prepaid cell phone
scarf
stuffed Snoopy and Woodstock
travel tea mug
boots
pajamas
still need to buy a book and not sure what else

DS16:
Axe gift set
video editing software
bow tie (he asked for it, don't know why,lol)
portable ipod speakers
still need to buy: pajamas, book, Hot Topic gift card and saxophone

DS14:
2 Nintendo 64 games (he's into retro gaming)
2 Gameboy Advance games
Batman Origins for xbox 360
book
pajamas
t-shirt and belt from Hot Topic he wanted
still need to buy: retro game system (NES I think)

DS12:
Planes dvd
Skylanders swap force
2 3ds games
portable ipod speaker
pajamas
book

DS9:
Headphones
cheap mp3 player to use on school bus
remote control helicopter
3ds game
Legos
Monsters Inc. pillowcase
pajamas
book

I'm struggling with DD17, everything she's asking for is out of my budget. I keep trying to explain that to her, but she doesn't seem to be getting it. And my other issue is the saxophone for DS16. I need to find a used one, but so far all of the ones I'm finding are over $500 and I need one under $150 that are still decent (I know, I'm asking a lot). I've already told him he may not get one for Christmas and he understands, but it's actually the only thing he wants so I want to try. I'm keeping my eye on ebay, I have seen a couple auctions that aren't ending too high so I may have some luck there.

We are back from WDW! It was great, now I need to do shopping! My dd6 wants lots of stuff but my dd8 doesn't know. She didn't even want much in the way of suvenirs at WDW. What are you getting your 8 year old girls??? She is not into princesses or dolls. She likes Harry Potter, likes cats, has rainbow loom already. What exactly is a wreck it journal? She likes journals.

American Girl has some great deals on their Cyber Monday sale today.
Some items 50% off.
Some doll outfits and accessories, books, girl's clothes.
I got some activity books and paper dolls for stocking stuffers for pretty cheap.

I'm officially done. I bought 2 bully sticks for the Dog's stocking today.

WOOOOHOOOOO!!! I will be able to say that when I can get away from the kids again long enough for the small stocking stuffers!! LOL!! I think I am going to get some different candy that they like at Cracker Barrell…I did that one year for them with the different candy canes and they loved it…but I had peppermint sticks forever!!! LOL!! I like their reg bags of candy that are not super full, so they can have some and then be done! It's great for taping to the box or adding an extra little something to gifts that you can't spend a lot on for other peoples kids also!

Is it the norm to get teachers gifts in addition to contributing to the class gift? I always do a gift card but I am thinking it is overkill.

Is it the norm to get teachers gifts in addition to contributing to the class gift? I always do a gift card but I am thinking it is overkill.
I usually do one or the other but not both. This year I decided to no longer do the class gift. I'm giving gift cards.

I think you should give one to the teacher if you choose too personally~then don't contribute or feel the need to do a class gift…just my 2 cents!

Question for you all-- I'm buying gift cards to fast food places for my cousins in college. Do you think they would like one larger gift card to one restaurant or several smaller amounts (like $5) to different places? Thanks!

Question for you all-- I'm buying gift cards to fast food places for my cousins in college. Do you think they would like one larger gift card to one restaurant or several smaller amounts (like $5) to different places? Thanks!

I would do several smaller cards. My MIL used to do that for DH and I when we were in college before we married. We loved it! It was a favorite gift. :thumbsup2

Well I thought I was done with DS, but then I found this little guy...

http://shop.zyliethebear.com/products/shen-the-panda

He is a part of the Zylie and friends line. I loved the storybook aspect to their story and I imagine their travels tying into our homeschool a bit. The best part...they are buy one get one 50% off at TRU along with being on sale for $29.98. I ordered Shen, but DS is now talking about Zylie too. DH says he will live with just Shen. :goodvibes. I also found Shen's raincoat outfit on Amazon with free shipping. Yay!

Need ideas for my inlaws here. They are moving to Florida from Pennsylvania in the spring so we don't really want to get them more stuff they have to move/get rid of. Problem is, MIL hates getting gift cards. I already made her a calendar. We can get FIL a gift card for a gas station (they live about an hour away from work right now) and he'll be fine with that. Any other ideas for MIL? She likes to lay in bed and watch QVC but I feel like we've already exhausted the blanket/slippers/relaxing sort of stuff.

I would do several smaller cards. My MIL used to do that for DH and I when we were in college before we married. We loved it! It was a favorite gift. :thumbsup2

Thank you! :) I think that is what I'm going to do. Now, to figure out a fun way to present/give them...

Thank you! :) I think that is what I'm going to do. Now, to figure out a fun way to present/give them...

I also agree with smaller cards. Gives them a better variety and more cards just LOOK better.

As for giving them... I am doing a gift basket for my cousin and her husband that includes gift cards. I bought one of those photo "trees" and am sliding the cards onto it. Someone on this thread gave me the idea.

La79al, what about a moving basket? Atlas (map), water bottles, coozies, set up a sunpass account for them (if they are gonna be near toll roads they would love that! They can always change the account when they get down here. A collection of ideas of places to visit when they arrive here. A welcoming packet, restraunts, post offices address and directions. We would of loved that!

I've been MIA for a while as our family had a big dose of reality smack us in the face. My mom was diagnosed with stage 4, terminal cancer in late October, moved in with me to be near her doctors & the hospital and to start chemo (they live about 2 hours south of me the sticks) and about 10 days in she took a turn for the worse, ended up hospitalized and is now back in her home under hospice care. November was a big blur.

We had to postpone our trip to WDW (should be there now) and are now going to WDW in mid/late January. This week, I have scrambled around and managed to get all my shopping and wrapping DONE. I've gotten everything ready for DD's class party that I had committed to, ready for her school's 5th grade holiday store (that I manage) and the only thing I probably won't get to this year is baking.

DD is getting it all. I always go way overboard. I just can't help it. She's getting a jewelry armoire, AG stuff - Julie's bed, salon chair & hair clips, Volleyball outfit; Julie's Cmas dress; Polar Bear PJS for her and for her doll; AG science lab kit & school scene & locker; DVD player (Monsters U and the Despicable Me movies); clothes, cowboy boots; rainbow loom case, band, beads and an instruction book; all the stuff to redo her bathroom this winter (beach theme); ostrich webkinz (not sure where the obsession with ostriches has come from).

DH is getting an infa-red turkey fryer, a snake light and some other tool he saw at Lowes

Dad is getting some clothes (that mom informed me he needed), a mug with all the grandkids pics and a calendar with family pics

Niece & Nephew each got a lego set

Nephew14 (and my DD) are each getting a gift certificate to Go Ape and I will take them for their tree top adventure in the spring

Grandma is getting an over the door bathroom towel rack and a gift card to Bath & Body Works

Teachers all got gift cards to B&N

Bus driver got a gift card to Chick-fil-A

Dance teachers each are getting a pretty infinity scarf

All my friends who have helped me out are getting wine & homemade goodies if I can get to that.

DH took care of his parents for me this year and since they are going on a 14 day cruise in March, they asked for VISA gift cards to use on-board, so he picked those up. They will also get a nice fridge magnet with DD's artwork (her school does Art to Remember each year and they make great gifts) and an ornament with DD's picture (it's an annual thing).

My best friend & I decided not to exchange with our girls this year and instead, over the Christmas break, take them to Great Wolf Lodge in Williamsburg for a spa day at scoops, then we'll go shopping, or to the movies and have lunch.

This whole ordeal has made me take a step back, realize what's important, realize who my true friends are (and my GOD, they have been my rock. I have the best network of friends who have stepped in and kept us fed, helped with DD, brought me wine :rotfl:). I don't know where I'd be right now without them.

Anyway, just wanted to wish you all a Merry Christmas in case I don't get back. I truly love this thread every year!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter