A 2020 Double PTR: HHN30 & More Updated 6/26-HHN Speculation, Trip Changes, & My Birthday

Raeven

DIS Veteran
My trip plans for the year: put in pto to make sure we overlap at HHN :rotfl:

I actually spent all day looking at a trip to Disneyland... I feel a need to get back there this year!

Cant wait to hear what's on your list this year! That's so great that the Supernatural convention works with your trip dates!
Yes! We need to meet up at HHN again! I also remember you saying your AP’s expire later in the month which was one of the reasons I chose the first week.

Meet us in Cali too :laughing: I haven’t done as much planning for Cali as I’d hoped to so far, but I’m going to update on what we have ao far tomorrow.

I wouldn’t go super out of my way for a convention because idk how crowded it will be/if I’ll enjoy it (good tickets are waaaay too expensive) so this is a perfect way to try one out!

Raeven

DIS Veteran
Cali Trip-13 weeks
HHN/Disney Trip-34 weeks

So I haven't done a ton of in depth planning for April, and I felt like I should do more before this post went up, but then I looked at my PTR from last year, and I hadn't even worked out our April plans in March yet so now I feel like I am actually on top of things. :rotfl:

April Trip

So as you know from the intro, we're going back to Cali! Last year I knew we wouldn't get to everything we wanted to do, and well...we really didn't. We did spend 3 days in Disneyland, saw almost everything we wanted to see in San Diego, and spent one night in LA. It was a very fun trip, but we did end up cutting a lot of our ideas out of it because we knew we wouldn't have time. (And we lost a day getting stuck in Denver).

This year we tossed around some other ideas, but we ultimately settled on a more LA focused California trip. I did want to go back to San Diego (even if it were just for a day), because we never made it to Coronado Island, but switching hotels in the middle just for a night didn't really make sense. So as for right now we're going to LA/Anaheim/various locations around those two areas.

Flights & Time off: We booked the flights as soon as we could which is always before I get my time off, but a lot of flights into California were more expensive this year, and I found a good deal flying into and out of the Burbank airport.

My time off for the year was approved near the end of December, and I got my first choice of weeks. We'll be going from April 17th-25th. Due to Easter being earlier this year I figured maybe April won't be as crowded (in the theme parks) as it would if it were still Spring Break. I also picked those dates because we'd like to experience something new at Disneyland, and Food & Wine in DCA will still be going on then. (At least for a few days, we'll be hitting it at the very end so hopefully it isn't crazy. We'll probably have to go the second to last day because Dapper Day is before that).

Hotel: We have 3 hotels booked, but if we change things around that could change. I have the Hotel Indigo in Downtown LA booked for the first few nights, then we'd be switching to the Ayres Orange again for a few nights (that's where we stayed last year when we did Disneyland). Finally for the last two nights I have Loews Hollywood booked because I think we'd be going to Universal Hollywood one of those two days. I'm thinking the beginning is fine (we can't go to Disneyland any earlier because of Dapper Day crowds), but the other hotels could be switched around by a day depending on plans. (Although we have to be back in LA the last night because we're flying out of Burbank, and I'd like to be close-ish).

Tickets: I have bought tickets for nothing as of right now, though I have booked two rental cars for a day each. One for the day we head to Anaheim, and one for the day we head back to LA. This way while we have the cars we can change hotels, and maybe see some further away sights, but we can also return them before the next day so we don't have to pay to park them overnight. I'll probably buy DL tickets soon, but I was deciding if we were doing 2 or 3 days. I'm leaning towards 2 now so we can see some other things, but haven't fully decided.

Attractions: Aside from Disneyland and Universal Hollywood here's some other places we're looking at...

LA: Santa Monica Pier, Griffith Observatory, The Grove, Melrose Ave, Runyon Canyon, Malibu (The Getty Villa/Beach), Downtown LA (The Broad, Last Bookstore, Walt Disney Concert Hall), Hollywood Blvd (Selfie Museum, Madame Tussauds, Hollywood Museum), Sunset Strip

Other: Redondo Beach (that's where the diner from The OC is & where it was often filmed :rotfl: ),

the Bowers Museum in Santa Ana (the Disney Archive collection will be showing then), Newport Beach, Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, Huntington Botanical Gardens, & either Fashion Island or the Anaheim outlets.

Josh will probably want to go to a comedy show again, I know someone he likes is coming to La Brea Improv which is near(ish) Anaheim on one of our days so maybe we'll see that.

Dining: For dining I have a long list of ideas which I won't name here, but we didn't really get to do any dining in LA last time so most places on that list are still on my list. I've also been watching some vloggers over the past year or so that live in LA, and every time they mention a restaurant that sounds good I've been writing it down. It's given me a good list of places I wouldn't normally have noticed. So I have a mix of cute little cafes, snack places, places that do speciality foods, actual restaurants etc. On Sunday in Downtown LA (where our hotel will be) there's an event called Smorgasbord with a bunch of food vendors so that's on my list too. Out of all the places we went last time I definitely see us returning to Stacked and Sauced Up again. (Stacked has locations outside of SD). And in Anaheim I'm looking at Anaheim Packing House which we also cut from the list last time.

In Disneyland we're looking at: Tortilla Jo's, Food & Wine booths, Black Tap, Lamplight Lounge, & various QS/snack places. I also thought it would be hilarious to review one of the worst restaurants, but Josh does not like this idea. :rotfl:

My general plan so far is a work in progress so here's the rough outline:

Fri-Sun-LA
Mon/Tues or Mon/Wed-DL
Tues/Thurs or Wed/Thurs-Other area attractions/LA
Fri-USH
Sat-Leave

September Trip

Flights & Time off: I also thankfully got my first choice in week for this trip too, which is the first week of HHN. I'm hoping when we get closer I can get off the Thurs too so then we'll be there the very first night of HHN. Southwest flights for this time of year aren't on sale yet.

Hotel: Because I already looked at hotel prices, and they seemed cheaper than usual, I booked RPR for our whole trip. (Probably because I looked like a year in advance :rotfl: ). If we add on a night I'm thinking of just adding it on at Aventura. We'll have some Disney days in there too, but I'm not sure when/how many, and if it would be worth it to book at a Disney hotel during that time so I'm just keeping the reservation at RPR for now. We can obviously go back and forth, and if it's only 2-3 days that might work out fine.

Tickets: Aside from our Universal AP, there's no tickets to buy yet. HHN tickets usually come out in June, and We’re thinking of getting the Rush of Fear with Express this year. Disney tickets we'll buy when we know how many days, and I'm thinking about MNSSHP or an after hours event, but I haven't decided/those aren't available yet.

As I think I mentioned in my intro (I'm too lazy to go back and check), there's a Supernatural convention that first weekend in Orlando, and that is something we'll probably have to get tickets for soon. I think we'll probably just do a 1 day ticket (maybe for Sat), and maybe a photo op (not sure for which actor though, Josh isn't really into the idea of photo ops, but I think we should do at least one).

Other attraction ideas: Brevard Zoo, Tampa zoo/Aquarium or Busch Gardens or Sarasota (MOTE & Ringling Museum since we never made it there last time), & Top Golf. (We definitely won’t get to all of these on top of Disney/HHN but maybe we can do one or two).

Dining: We'll probably dine at a lot of our favorites around Universal (Toothsome, Bice, Mythos, Cowfish), but I also want to try some new places (Today Cafe, Bigfire, Confisco Grille, Hard Rock, Strongwater Tavern), and maybe we'll give a few other places another try (Margaritaville, NBC Grill, Antojitos, Amatista, Islands/Bula Bar). For Disney I'm looking at: Three Bridges, Space 220, F&W, Boma, Brown Derby, Grand Floridian Cafe, Homecomin, Wolfgang Puck's, & Shula's. And outside of that: Another Broken Egg, Cocktails & Screams, & Bull & Bear.

Also we'll hopefully be meeting up with our HHN crew again and seeing @amalone1013 & Zack there this year too!

Last edited:

Lesley Wake

DIS Veteran
There's also a Supernatural convention in Orlando the first weekend, and while obviously HHN takes priority, I'm really excited about that too. I've watched Supernatural for 10 years, but I've never been to a convention because they don't have them very close to where we live so it felt meant to be when I saw there was one in Orlando that weekend.
That would be fun to see it, especially since the show will be over by then!
Flights & Time off: We booked the flights as soon as we could which is always before I get my time off, but a lot of flights into California were more expensive this year, and I found a good deal flying into and out of the Burbank airport.
Burbank is such an easy airport to fly in/out of! Sure, there's not very many amenities in the terminal itself, but when I can arrive 30 minutes before boarding and casually park the car, make way thru security, stop for a pastry, and still have time to relax before the flight, you know that's a good option! And LAX right now is just a nightmare because of the construction, which is worse than usual!
I have the Hotel Indigo in Downtown LA booked for the first few nights
Haha, that is literally 2 blocks from my office! Though you will be there on the weekend, so it wouldn't matter anyways!
I'll probably buy DL tickets soon, but I was deciding if we were doing 2 or 3 days. I'm leaning towards 2 now so we can see some other things, but haven't fully decided.
You could always buy 2 days and add on a 3rd day if you feel like it.
Huntington Botanical Gardens
Definitely recommend this (it's relatively close to my house). My mom volunteers there, so if you wanted, she would be happy to sign you in for free and if you wanted, give a mini tour. She does tours for elementary school groups and last weekend she actually took our neighbors to show them around (but she is also cool with just signing people in without a tour).

• macraven

Proud Redhead
    If your readers get to vote in which other attraction you do, I say do the Ringling museum
    ( and take pictures of it to share with us)

Raeven

DIS Veteran
    That would be fun to see it, especially since the show will be over by then!
    I kind of wish I could go to one during the show, because depending on how satisfied people are with the ending I'm not sure if people will feel differently about the show, but we're only going for a day to check it out, and this one lines up so perfectly I'm not complaining.

Burbank is such an easy airport to fly in/out of! Sure, there's not very many amenities in the terminal itself, but when I can arrive 30 minutes before boarding and casually park the car, make way thru security, stop for a pastry, and still have time to relax before the flight, you know that's a good option! And LAX right now is just a nightmare because of the construction, which is worse than usual!
    Yeah, we picked it to make things easier, and because it's smaller. Sadly though our flight there got messed up with Southwest canceling flights (see my next post) so now we're flying into LAX, but out of Burbank still.

You could always buy 2 days and add on a 3rd day if you feel like it.
    That's true, I think we might have too many other things we want to do, to do three days. Once I figure out when we're doing things I should have a better idea of how many days we're going.

Definitely recommend this (it's relatively close to my house). My mom volunteers there, so if you wanted, she would be happy to sign you in for free and if you wanted, give a mini tour. She does tours for elementary school groups and last weekend she actually took our neighbors to show them around (but she is also cool with just signing people in without a tour).
    Thank you, we're still looking into things we want to do, but I'll let you know!

If your readers get to vote in which other attraction you do, I say do the Ringling museum
    ( and take pictures of it to share with us)
    If we go to Sarasota we'll go there for sure! I'm not sure how many things we'll be able to fit in, but I'd really like to go to Sarasota for the day. It was something we meant to do when we went in December 2018, but I had a bit of a headache that day, and we ended up not going so I still really want to go.

Raeven

DIS Veteran
    Southwest Cancelled Our Flight/Flight Changes

So of course the day after I posted this something changed.

But this one isn't my fault! :rotfl:

I think I eluded to in the intro possibly taking another small trip to WDW/Universal if we could this year. That was because I saw some cheap flights into Orlando in early June, but sadly when I looked this week they were gone. This is because the Boeing Max planes still aren't ready to fly, and Southwest had a lot of them in their fleet. So they plan as though they're coming back, and when they still aren't ready they cancel hundreds of planned flights. This has been going on for about a year, and can be really frustrating, but I've never had a flight affected before.

When I noticed those were missing from the schedule it wasn't a huge deal since it was just an idea I had, but then I decided to check on our current flights for California. And the flight in had been completely changed. :confused3

This was frustrating because they didn't even try to contact me about the changes, they just changed it. So now we had 2 layovers instead of one, would be on the plane an additional 5 hours (about double our flight), get in later, and all the other flights into and out of California at the same time were now 500+ per person. It also wouldn't let me make any changes on the computer, so I had to call them to see what I could do. The person on the phone told me they had been rebooked as 2 separate one ways? (Which is probably why I couldn't change them since the system didn't know what to do). So we were on a flight from here to Chicago, then Chicago to Burbank stopping in Vegas. I have no idea why they would've change one flight into 2 separate flights, but they said I could pick out another flight to California.

So now we're booked coming into LAX (with a layover in Baltimore), around 10-11 am (when our Burbank flight was due in). I know it was their mistake, but I was really happy we didn't have to pay the difference (since I wasn't sure how they would handle it because they did book us on a new flight, it just wasn't a good one). Southwest can be frustrating sometimes, but they've always been good to us in regards to fixing things, and we've never had to pay any additional fees when something like this has happened.

schumigirl

It's a bit of a roodie doodie word for lady parts
    Oh Raeven that would have been quite a change!

I know the flight you are isn’t the best, but sounds slightly better than their first option! And good to know you didn’t have to cough up any extra bucks for their changes!!!

Will keep hopeful you manage the extra little trip......you never know!

Some lovely food choices up there......I thought you had eaten in Strong Water before? I’m maybe thinking of someone else......but, yes, plenty of lovely places to choose from. And really hope you enjoy Confisco......:thumbsup2

• Tracy161

DIS Veteran
    but then I looked at my PTR from last year, and I hadn't even worked out our April plans in March yet so now I feel like I am actually on top of things. :rotfl:
    :laughing: See? You're WAY ahead of things!

As I think I mentioned in my intro (I'm too lazy to go back and check), there's a Supernatural convention that first weekend in Orlando
    Yes! I'm certain I remember this, too, so you must have!

Ringling Museum
    As I remember talking about when you were planning this originally, this place definitely has my vote! I loved it!

This was frustrating because they didn't even try to contact me about the changes, they just changed it. So now we had 2 layovers instead of one, would be on the plane an additional 5 hours (about double our flight), get in later, and all the other flights into and out of California at the same time were now 500+ per person. It also wouldn't let me make any changes on the computer, so I had to call them to see what I could do. The person on the phone told me they had been rebooked as 2 separate one ways?
    :headache::confused3

Southwest can be frustrating sometimes, but they've always been good to us in regards to fixing things, and we've never had to pay any additional fees when something like this has happened.
    I'm glad that it worked out, but geez. I would have been super frustrated, especially having to get on the phone and handle it.

Raeven

DIS Veteran
    Oh Raeven that would have been quite a change!

I know the flight you are isn’t the best, but sounds slightly better than their first option! And good to know you didn’t have to cough up any extra bucks for their changes!!!
    It’s definitely better! We did want to avoid LAX, but the flights there were also already expensive when we booked so it wasn’t really an option. But the flight is very similar and it didn’t cost us anything so it work:thumbsup2

Will keep hopeful you manage the extra little trip......you never know!
    It could happen! We’ll have to see what prices look like.

Some lovely food choices up there......I thought you had eaten in Strong Water before? I’m maybe thinking of someone else......but, yes, plenty of lovely places to choose from. And really hope you enjoy Confisco......:thumbsup2
    I keep saying we’re going to go but we never make it that’s probably why:rotfl:We meant to go last trip when we stayed at SF.

:laughing: See? You're WAY ahead of things!
    That’s something I usually don’t hear:rotfl: Well maybe in trip planning, but in life I’m a procrastinator.

Yes! I'm certain I remember this, too, so you must have!
    Oh good I thought I did. Sometimes when it’s been awhile since I posted I accidentally repeat/explain things I’ve already said and I was pretty sure I already talked about it and didn’t want to repeat the same thing.

As I remember talking about when you were planning this originally, this place definitely has my vote! I loved it!
    I’m hoping to get there! It’s near the top of my “things outside the theme parks” list.

:headache::confused3

I'm glad that it worked out, but geez. I would have been super frustrated, especially having to get on the phone and handle it.
    It was frustrating, especially because on the phone the guy kept getting an error message too, and I was like does that mean it doesn’t work for him either. :laughing: & I have no idea why they’d have booked us 2 one ways. I know it’s not a big deal, but it’s so much easier to search through flights on your own. I looked through a lot of airports in California when I was first looking, but I did look around before I called & settled on one first.

Raeven

DIS Veteran
    So annoying about Southwest! I had no idea they had been doing that! Glad you were able to get your Cali flight sorted without having to pay anything!
    It is! It doesn’t affect most flights, but it’s something they’ve been doing since last March. Apparently they’re one of the only airlines that used a lot of those planes. I know they can’t stop planning to use a large portion of their planes, but if they can’t be used for now I don’t know if the best course is to schedule the flights then cancel them when they get closer. I’m glad they let us exchange it. I know it was something they did, but I wasn’t sure if that mattered (because they did book us on an alternate flight).

• Lesley Wake

DIS Veteran
    Ugh, that sucks about the flight! At least you caught it ahead of time and not when you went to check-in!

For LAX, don't know if you heard about their Uber/Lyft situation. Basically, you can't get picked up from the terminal directly. Instead you have to get a shuttle to a satellite lot where all the rideshare vehicles (and regular taxis) get sent. It can be a big annoyance - sometimes people get lucky and can immediately get a shuttle and car. Other times you may have a 30-45 minute wait. (Just to be aware of once you arrive!)

Raeven

DIS Veteran
    Ugh, that sucks about the flight! At least you caught it ahead of time and not when you went to check-in!

For LAX, don't know if you heard about their Uber/Lyft situation. Basically, you can't get picked up from the terminal directly. Instead you have to get a shuttle to a satellite lot where all the rideshare vehicles (and regular taxis) get sent. It can be a big annoyance - sometimes people get lucky and can immediately get a shuttle and car. Other times you may have a 30-45 minute wait. (Just to be aware of once you arrive!)
    Yeah, I’m not happy that they didn’t even notify me of the change because that’s what could’ve happened if I didn’t check. (Although I’m pretty sure I’d have caught it at some point it could’ve been when the flights were all sold out for that time).

I’ve read about that before, it’s one of the reasons I didn’t want to schedule our flight for LAX. We probably will take Lyft, but I’ll have to figure it out.

KathyM2

DIS Veteran
    Are you going to Mardi Gras?
    OMG I hadn't even considered this...I know so little about the Universal goings on...I will have to look...does it say the dates on the site? Is it just a parade or is there more Mardi Gras stuff?

Raeven

DIS Veteran
    Trip planning is way easier to not procrastinate on... because it's generally better than normal life :rotfl2:
    :rotfl:

OMG I hadn't even considered this...I know so little about the Universal goings on...I will have to look...does it say the dates on the site? Is it just a parade or is there more Mardi Gras stuff?
    It runs from Feb 1st-April 2nd. So every night there’s a parade, music, and food stands. But on the weekends there’s concerts from bigger performers like this year they have REO Speedwagon, All American Rejects, etc. It sounds really cool, but we’ve never been out there at that time of year so I don’t have personal experience. You should be able to google it and find all the info.

lvcourtneyy

DIS Veteran
    On a selfish note, I'm happy you're going back to California because we're planning a trip for September and reading your trip report from last year helped me a lot so far!

Ugh that flight situation is so frustrating. Good thing you checked and they were able to fix it but it just seems like the least they could do was send out an email about the change!

Raeven

DIS Veteran
    On a selfish note, I'm happy you're going back to California because we're planning a trip for September and reading your trip report from last year helped me a lot so far!

Ugh that flight situation is so frustrating. Good thing you checked and they were able to fix it but it just seems like the least they could do was send out an email about the change!
    Oops! Not sure why this quote double posted.

Raeven

DIS Veteran

Haha, I’m glad I could help!

It was! And the app says they notify you, but I never got any email or text about it. Although I have that issue with them sometimes with other things too. I always put my number and to text about delays and for some reason they’ll send it to my email instead or send nothing. I’ve gotten to the airport before, and then heard about a delay.

lvcourtneyy

DIS Veteran
    It was! And the app says they notify you, but I never got any email or text about it. Although I have that issue with them sometimes with other things too. I always put my number and to text about delays and for some reason they’ll send it to my email instead or send nothing. I’ve gotten to the airport before, and then heard about a delay.
    That's so frustrating. You'd think these big companies could get their IT to work appropriately lol

Connect

Disney News and Updates

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR DAILY EMAIL
    Subscribe and never miss out on Disney News, Deals and Updates.

UNIVERSAL PODCASTS

UNIVERSAL ORLANDO VIDEOS

UNIVERSAL ATTRACTIONS