~ A 21 month old, a celebrity sighting, & a whole lotta food~2 week trip~ 2/28 update

Sunset Cliffs

DIS Veteran
I’m not sure what we were thinking when we decided to take our 21 month old to WDW. When we used to go to any amusement park and see all of the children melting down left & right, we swore to ourselves that we would wait until our kids were 5 years old before we would take them to the parks. :sad2: We didn’t plan on not being able to wait any longer and just throwing caution to the wind and doing it.

Lucky for us, we have a very good baby and he was able to hang with us through (most) of what we threw at him on this trip. Yes, there were some melt downs. Yes, there were some tears. Yes, there were some sleepless nights. But enough talking about my husband! :) Just kidding, but in all honesty our son did very well and enjoyed himself. There were some very special moments on this trip that we would have missed out on had we waited until he was 5 years old.

If you did not read my PTR, here is a link so can read about our planning if you care to. You can see all the main characters & detailed info so that I don’t have to post it again here. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2184382

Here are pictures of my little family. Myself, my husband Todd, and our son Dylan.

ry%3D480

ry%3D400

As for that celebrity sighting…you are just going to have to wait and see who it was. No, I’m not even going to give you a hint right now, although I will tell you that I thought it was a pretty cool moment! So we are moving on with the show and jumping right into Day 1.

Saturday, June 13, 2009

Todd & I woke up at 5:30 am to finish packing for our trip. We had done most of the hard stuff the few days before, but there are all of the last minute things that you can’t do until you are actually leaving. We had a lot of people coming through our house during the time we were gone (more on this later), & I didn’t want all of them to know how messy our house could get!

We finished getting ready to go and woke Dylan up around 7:30. We got him fed and dressed, and our friend Josh showed up at 8:00 to drive us to the airport. We were very fortunate to get a flight out of the little airport in our city rather than having to drive to Sacramento or San Francisco (as we usually have to do) to get a flight all the way to Orlando. In fact, when booking the tickets we found out it was cheaper to fly locally than it was to just take the connecting flight from S.F. Weird! But very good for us as it saved us parking for two weeks and gas to drive there.

We left for the airport at 8:15 and arrived at 8:30. Our flight was scheduled to leave at 10:00, and of course we were early enough that there was almost no one in the airport. We walked right up to the counter and were checked in right away. We realized that today was Dylan’s 21 month birthday!

We had a ton of stuff with us (due to all of Dylan’s baby stuff) and I was really adamant about taking his car seat with us and gate checking it with his stroller instead of checking it through with our luggage. I have heard bad stories of the car seat being lost or badly damaged, and I did not want to arrive in Orlando to a missing car seat. So we had multiple things that we were going to have to haul through both airports that day. As Todd was paying for our 2 pieces of luggage (we were flying on United) he just happened to ask how much they would charge to have Dylan’s little suitcase checked rather than carried on. The lady said, “Oh I won’t charge you for it. I will just call it a “necessary baby item”.” It was so nice & unexpected! It normally would have been another $25 for his bag.

We waited in the little seating area for a while and Dylan got antsy so we let him run off some steam. Todd took him on a few laps through the terminal. Dylan discovered how electric doors worked and Todd had to chase him outside a couple of times.

Electric doors!

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

After a lot of exercise, we got him back in his stroller with a snack. Out of the blue he looks at me and says “no”. This is the first time he has ever said that word! He usually says “uh, uh” when he is saying no, so this was new. Then he kept practicing it over and over all day long. Of course he had to learn that word on the first day of our trip! On top of this, he was not on his best behavior this morning so we were a little worried about how the flight was going to go.

Our flight ended up being delayed by almost an hour due to fog in S.F. and we were worried we were going to miss our connecting flight. We spoke to the lady at the counter and she said we should be fine, so we decided not to worry about what we couldn’t control.

I just have to throw in that Todd came back from the using the restroom and made a really funny comment. I laughed and then told him I was going to put it in my TR. He was horrified and realized that he was going to have to watch everything that he said or it would end up getting written down. :laughing: So I promised him I would not share what he said this time, but no promises in the future. I will just tell you that his comment had to do with taking too many vitamins and the color of a certain liquid!

We finally boarded the plane after 11:00 and by now it is normally Dylan’s nap time. He was a little cranky but taking it all in as we boarded & got strapped in. He was on Todd’s lap and as we took off we gave him his juice to help his ears and he just looked out the window. Those small planes are very loud compared to the big ones and after 10 minutes or so he got a little scared. He turned around and hugged Todd really tight with his head on his shoulder, and he ended up falling asleep like that for over ½ an hour. It was so cute, and I couldn’t get a picture because my camera was in the overhead bin. Todd was happy because it’s hard to get our active little boy to actually snuggle anymore. He woke up right before we landed and seemed to be in a much better mood.

We landed in San Francisco and collected all of our stuff. The plane parked out on the tarmac and we had to walk up this scaffolding to get into the terminal. Pretty interesting. We went to check the departure flights to see if we were going to make our connecting flight.

Do we make it on the next flight? You’ll have to wait & see!

Chapters
The longest flight of our lives
Our home for two weeks

When do we get to start having fun?
Some unplanned magic
Meeting the Mouse
Dancing to the music
A leisurely start to the day
Boma
Enjoying the Lodge
Visiting a few countries in one day
A bear, a wolf, & some cheese sticks
The Mini-Meltdown
A Magic Kingdom Morning
The Bride with the Axe
Why does everyone like this place?
It’s so peaceful here
Our “bonus” free day
An Evening outside the Parks
Our first Character Meal!
An Unusual Shopping Mission
A night at the Polynesian
DHS
That’s a huge turtle!
Not sure if it was worth it…
OT ~ Dylan’s birthday & Halloween
Ending the day at Epcot
We finally rode a roller coaster
Another first at AK
Hey, is that…..?
ToT, finally!
OT update – Getting ready for Christmas

OT update - Christmas
Fitting in another favorite
One last ride
Gee, do you think he likes the Ranch?
Going home.

Hi!! I just happened upon your TR and then went back and read your PTR! My youngest daughter is very close in age to your son! We went to WDW in mid-May (see TR link below) and had soooo much fun!! Can't wait to read about your TWO WEEK trip--how nice!! :) Oh and I read that your dh is a volleyball coach--I played volleyball in middle and high school--it's my FAVORITE sport!! Can't wait to read more!!

HI! Great start. I can't wait to hear about your celebrity siting and all the fun things that happened on your trip. :)

What a sweet little guy!! I took my daughter to disneyland for the first time at 18 mos. Everyone said it would be a wastee of money and she wouldn't remember anything. They were wrong and there are things she still remembers as an adult with her own babies!!!:goodvibes

Looking forward to more!!:goodvibes

I'm in .. what a cute little guy. :goodvibes My daughter will be 3 1/2 for our upcoming trip and I'm pretty nervous about taking her .. so looking forward to seeing how you guys made out.

Maureen

I can't wait to read more! We're going next month and our daughter will be 22 months, so i can't wait to see what fun things you did with your son.:)

I'm here!

Yay! Thanks for stopping by. You were my first responder! :goodvibes

Hi!! I just happened upon your TR and then went back and read your PTR! My youngest daughter is very close in age to your son! We went to WDW in mid-May (see TR link below) and had soooo much fun!! Can't wait to read about your TWO WEEK trip--how nice!! :) Oh and I read that your dh is a volleyball coach--I played volleyball in middle and high school--it's my FAVORITE sport!! Can't wait to read more!!

Wow! Thanks for taking time to read the PTR too. How old is your daughter? Dylan will be 2 in mid-September. I clicked into your TR & saw the pics of your daughters and they are so cute!

We were so fortunate to go for 2 weeks. We got very lucky w/ our accomodations & our plane tickets and it allowed us to extend our trip. It was nice to give ourselves a slower pace. What position did you play in volleyball? It is Todd's first love :love: and I have really grown to love it myself through all of his coaching. Dylan is also very hooked on it, and is already practicing his "serve" and has started trying to pass the ball this week. We haven't even taught him, he just picks it up from watching! Crazy. So glad you stopped by!

HI! Great start. I can't wait to hear about your celebrity siting and all the fun things that happened on your trip. :)

Hi there! Thanks for jumping over from the PTR. My celebrity story is pretty fun, and I can't wait to get to that part of the report.

Hi, I am joining in! Your son is adorable!! Looking foward to reading more :goodvibes

Welcome! Thanks for joining and your nice comments. :goodvibes

I'm here...popcorn::

Hey! Thanks for coming over!

I am so in on this one too!

Welcome! So glad you stopped by.

Signing on for more! What a cute family you are!

Oh thank you. You are so sweet! Thanks for reading.

What a sweet little guy!! I took my daughter to disneyland for the first time at 18 mos. Everyone said it would be a wastee of money and she wouldn't remember anything. They were wrong and there are things she still remembers as an adult with her own babies!!!:goodvibes

Looking forward to more!!:goodvibes

Really? That is so cool! I hope that he will have scraps of memories from this trip as he gets older. I have been showing him pictures since we have been home, and he is very into it and gets pretty excited. Trying to keep it alive in his mind. Thanks for reading!

I'm in .. what a cute little guy. :goodvibes My daughter will be 3 1/2 for our upcoming trip and I'm pretty nervous about taking her .. so looking forward to seeing how you guys made out.

Maureen

I was so nervous about certain parts of this trip when it came to him. Someone made a comment once that kids react to your emotions and they can tell when you are stressed. So I took that to heart and really tried to act like everything was "no big deal" when I was actually getting worked up inside. :laughing: Don't know if it always worked but it gave me something else to think about.

I'm joining in the fun! Can't wait to read the rest of this report!

Hi & welcome!!

I can't wait to read more! We're going next month and our daughter will be 22 months, so i can't wait to see what fun things you did with your son.:)

Your daughter will be just a little older than Dylan. Hopefully you will see some things that you will like to do with her. So glad you stopped by!

Hey! I'm here too. GREAT start by the way! :thumbsup2

...I started taking my kids to Disney while they were still in utero. :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter