A Bash, a Benson, and a Banshee: A DIS 20th Event Solo Trip ** new Aug 2nd, 2017 - Complete! **

I'm so sad to see your report come to an end. I really enjoy reading them. I'm sure that you will but I hope you do one after your cruise in February. I've never read a cruise report and we've talked about the possibility of doing one someday. Who knows, perhaps you'll be what convinces us to do it.

Thanks for bringing us along! Even though it was your last morning, you made the best of it! Loved the Mickey Waffles!

I hate the last day of vacation. Your lunch looked good. All of our Macaroni Grills closed, too, which is a bummer!

Can't wait to hear about your next adventures, whatever they may be!

I love all your pictures of POP DD and I had such a good time staying there in May. We tried taking our food outside but the birds were crazy aggressive :scared:
Just wanted to say thanks again for sharing your trip and what an adventure you had :goodvibes

Sounds like a pretty stress free departure day! Glad you were able to have some breakfast at Pop while handling some work stuff! I totally relate to your sentiment about "last meal of vacation so why not". The last day of vacation for me always means being reckless and scrambling to squeeze in any last minute "vacation" things..whether it's food or buying unnecessary souvenirs :rotfl:

and then just waiting for boarding and back to my real life (which is pretty darn good so not really complaining, just going for the dramatic effect)​

That line really made me smile :)

This trip really seemed very special for you and you got to do so many awesome things! I'm glad you were able to take it, something you will remember for a long time to come!​

Another great TR, Phil! I really enjoyed following along with your solo adventure. It's so fun to be there without the kids, but man, all I ever think is how much DD or DS would enjoy one thing or another. Especially thanks for sharing all of the 20th anniversary fun for those of us who made plans for the Disney park on the opposite side of the country for that same week and couldn't be there. :rolleyes1

Then we got to the Magic Kingdom bus stop and here is where a change they had relatively recently implemented bit me in the, um, tookus. As you may know, in an effort to reduce the congestion in front of the train station, they have changed the security procedures for the Magic Kingdom so that you now go through security (including bag checks) at the TTC, at the resorts before getting on the monorail, the walking path from the Contemporary, and when you get off the buses. I knew this but didn't realize that I would need to go through security even if I wasn't going into Magic Kingdom, so I had to get in the long line for bag check (they only had 2 lanes open) and then was "randomly" selected to go through the metal detector, just so I could then get to the boat launches to leave the area. So that was a bit frustrating and took some more time.
Yep... got bit by that one too. Just needed to get to Contemporary, but had to take time to go through security.

After enjoying our viewing of Happily Ever After we hightailed it to the EPCOT monorail line to take the monorail to the DIS 20th Party - don't we look excited #badselfiewarning
Well a few rounds of drinks at Trader Sams followed by caffeine to get you through the night... how good of a selfie could you take at that point? :rotfl2:

So what did I think? While I thought Dinosaur (the other ride I hadn't ridden before this trip) underwhelmed (other than the ride vehicle) - but this I loved! I thought it was really neat and just a fun ride (the Tron-grid was a little silly, but still fun). Wish I had seen the original version to be able to compare but I really liked it and hope to take my family on it in the future.
I'm glad you enjoyed this one! I really love Test Track. The design part is fun, although I still feel like the original version is much better, overall, than the current Tron like ride.

All together the show took nearly an hour and was just wonderful. really hard to explain the feelings as the show was going on and after - just had the sense that it was something special.
That's awesome and definitely something special! I'm glad you were able to experience it!

Then we made our way out - I had to take one picture at least of Spaceship Earth ... it was looking mighty pretty and how often do you see it with literally no one around it?!?!
04_SSE%20empty.jpg
Beautiful.

I want to thank everyone for reading along and adding in your comments - definitely made it even more fun to relive this trip. This was definitely a one in a lifetime trip that I didn't really think would happen but I am so thankful it did and so thankful to my wife for letting me go.
It certainly looks like an incredible trip for all the things you were able to experience and the people you got to meet. I'm glad you were able to go!

Just caught up on your whole TR! I'm a big DIS Unplugged fan, but am finally trying to become more involved on the boards! This was such a cool way to get to see how uniting these events can be among the DIS community. You did a great job taking us along and I really enjoyed your report. I hope to be a part of future podcast events!

P.S.: I've been following your TRs as a lurker - I am a terrible commenter, but I'm working on it! Your children are adorable!

Found your TR the other day and just finished it. Really enjoyed reading about your trip. Loved seeing your experience in Pandora, can't wait to see it for myself someday. All the Meets you had and the party looked really fun. I would love to get to see Jodi Benson someday, too.

Looking forward to future TR's.

Somehow I managed to miss your last-day updates, but read them now. Thanks for sharing this unique trip - sounds like a great time!

Hi Phil!

I know its been almost a year since you have been on this trip but I just finished reading this TR! I really enjoyed hearing about your solo adventures as well as all the cool DIS meet-ups and the party! Seeing Jodi perform live would be a dream come true!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter