A few CP questions...

PrincessTanyuhKaypoo

I want to watch the way you creep across my skull
Hi everyone!

My BF and I are both extremely interested in applying for the CP but have a few questions.

We're currently at a community college pursuing our AA degrees, does this affect our chances at getting in?

Do you have to live on-site or can you find your own place to live? We've lived together for the past 4 years so we're not use to living apart or with other roomates.

We're Florida residents so the move wouldn't be a big deal but I'm concerned over what season would be best for us. I was thinking Fall but am concerned about having to work on Thanksgiving and Christmas day since WDW stays open. How do they handle this?

What are the costs involved in the CP?

I'm on a scholarship and I shouldn't have any problem with mine, but the BF is through the VA department. Anyone with past experience with the VA and CP?

I know that's a lot but I'd really appreciate any help you guys can give!

Thanks,
princess:TKPoo

Hi Princess,

Many of your questions can be answered by visiting wdwcollegeprogram.com, so you might go over there and check out the site.

Being at a community college won't hamper your chances at all -- recruiters from Disney go to community colleges all over the country!

While it's possible for you to find your own place to live, it really takes away a HUGE part of the experience. Most every CP will tell you that the "living" part of their program was what really created the most memories and lasting bonds with others. Also, you are not going to find a better deal on housing anywhere in Orlando, I promise. No place else will transport you to and from work while also paying all of your bills and giving you 24 hour gated and staffed security. I don't recommend not living in housing, but if you really feel you need to, talk to your recruiter about it when you apply.

In either season, you are going to work holidays. When does everyone go to WDW? Thanksgiving and Christmas! (And Spring Break and Easter in the spring, so keep that in mind, too.) Every place in the resort is all hands on deck during those times, so yes, you'll be working. But so will everyone else, and it's still lots of fun. I was down in the fall, and on both Thanksgiving and Christmas our managers made and brought in a HUGE spread of food for us. It was lots of fun, the guests are all in good moods, and the resort never looks more beautiful than during the holidays. Plus, there's nothing to stop your family from visiting you, something I've found they're a lot more likely to do when you're working at one of the best theme parks in the world. :)

The only cost involved is a $60 fee that reserves your housing for you and pays for any activities while you're down there -- in housing, there are official events all the time; character breakfasts, barbecues, parties, a formal, and your graduation ceremony at the end of the CP.

I don't have any experience with VA scholarships, but I would imagine his scholarship would depend on how many hours he's taking. I would look into co-op options at your school with someone in your internship/co-op office, talk to whoever in financial aid typically deals with VA scholarships, and find out how they typically handle things.

If you want to live on "campus" together you have to be married. i know someone that got married so they could live together.

Well, my boyfriend and I just got accepted, and although we'd love to live together on the cp... we're just going to try to be in the same apartment building, and hopefully on the same floor. We too are at a community college pursuing our AA degree. When you apply and then get accepted, I'd just try to be on the same floor in the same building. I see no hurt in trying.
The only way you two could have a CP apartment together would be if you're married. Believe me... we had to check this one out... we'd love to have our own apartment, but we're not married.........yet. :goodvibes

So that's my little bit of advice... hope I somewhat helped. :teeth:

::MinnieMo Jen ::MinnieMo

What are the hours involved in the CP??
Kari is the main supporter for the two of us, she's also the one that carries the insurance through her full time job at Home Depot. We don't have to worry about being married to each other, but over the past two years and being animal lovers, we have an array of pets. Although sad to say, my hampsters are getting old. And who knows if they'll make it till christmas. But I've got too much else to worry about getting any more. In any case, I don't think it's possible to have pets in the disney apartment.
Can we carry on with our jobs and still do the CP program?? Kari also wants to go to UCF, can she still attend classes and work at disney?? And don't worry about time and over doing it, she seems to enjoy it even though she complains on every day off about not having enough rest, but she continues on, and still puts herself in these predictments.

The hours can range from 16 - 40 hours a week depending on how much business Disney is doing. You may just make enough to pay rent and food, but believe me, it's still worth it.

Housing costs vary depending on what complex you're in and how many roommates you have. Usually $54 - $74 dollars a week

We won't be living on property. Unless they allow you to have two fish tanks (30 gal and 10 gal), 4 guinea pigs, couple hampsters, a dog and a cat.
I'm having a hard enough time trying to find an apartment complex that will take in a 35-40lb dog. Withough paying a grand extra.
So we want to work for disney, me go to community college if the money is there, Kari go to UCF, and kari will also continue her job at Home Depot. Which will be our main support, like it is now. We also can't loose it because we carry our insurance through Home Depot. But I don't see any other possible way for Kari to be a techie at disney without going through the college program.

You do HAVE to live in the apartments they put you in (Vista Way or Chattum (sp?) ). The apartments are co-ed but the rooms are not. Your cost for the apartment comes out of your pay check, so you don't have to worry about it. Its taken out automatically. I'm not sure what others are saying, but I know you CAN'T use a Pell Grant to pay for the program. A scholarship, I don't know. :confused3

Anyway, there's my 2 cents. :earboy2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter