A Late Review of Whispering Canyon Cafe

melomouse

DIS Veteran
Our ADR's for our trip to WDW the last week of September shifted through the course of the week due to the fact that we added DS(14) who has Asperger's two weeks prior to the trip. Originally booked for AP with just me and DD, I decided I was not going to use credits on Signature Dining with DS. Often the familiarity of a restaurant works well for us as he doesn't handle transition well, and I am one of those parents very conscious of not disrupting any other guests trying to enjoy a fine dining experience.

That said - if we do not stay at our favorite resort, WL, we make a trip there for dinner at WCC and make ourselves a promise we will be back soon to stay!

I cancelled the ADR two days before, and was tole my chances for a walk in at WCC were about 50/50. We got on the bus from POR at 5:30, got to WL via MK bus and boat by 6:15, and waited about 20 minutes for our table!!! DS was extraordinarily excited about unlimited shakes and kept asking the hostesses if it were really true!!!

Our server was "Diamond Lil'' and we were seated in the main area. Last year we were in the rear section and though our server tried to do her shenanigans, it was not the same. I ordered a kid's meal OOP for DD - she said this was fine and we should enjoy the option since it was going to change soon - ???!!!-DD happily enjoyed her chicken tenders, asked for crayons when she ordered since there were none on the table and she had a kid's menu in front of her - and Diamond Lil' yelled out for every kid to bring ONE crayon over to the "poor little girl with no crayons"!

DD was thrilled,:blush: laughed so hard and it was sooooo adorable to see all these kids come over to our table in the middle of the room! Of course, there were 30 crayons on the table now!!:rotfl:

More silliness as another server at the next table asked for attention, announced she had a "problem" with her guests arguing over who should pay the bill. She asked for applause for each woman at the table to determine the payee! It was really great!

DD did the pony ride and took the pledge and loved it for the 4th time!

DS ordered the glazed wings appetizer and I got the nachos. He enjoyed the wings and tried my nachos. In my opinion, they were just "ok" - more chips than fixin's/ DS ordered the skillet, and I had the chicken pasta dish, which I had enjoyed on a previous visit. It was cheesy, spicy, chunky - all at the same time and was quite good. I noticed the the skillet had SHRUNK!!! This was our fourth trip to WCC, and I remembered the skillet overflowing years ago - and tho smaller least year, this time the servings looked pitiful in the skillet.

Probably wise on the part of WDW - cuts down on waste and having to ask for refills likely cuts back also. I think DS asked for another rib and more mashed potatoes. Not quite the same value as when I had DSS with me years ago and he refilled the entire thing three times - but, hey.. free dining!!!

DS and I also ordered the shakes, DS switching flavors a couple of times from chocolate to creamsicle and back again. I kept taking it away and making him drink water so he would enjoy the "real" food. We had the caramel apple pies wrapped up "to go" as we could not eat another bite!:dumbo:

I signed for almost $100 free and paid $7.xx for the kid's meal and was on my way. Unfortunately, we waited too long for a bus to take us to DTD to switch buses to go back to POR. It was crowded and annoying and even the busdriver said that, no, this wasn't the "best" or fastest route, but it was the way we were going.:moped: He was very entertaining to some, keeping up a narrative all the way to DTD.

We never tire of WCC. Some find it hokey, and the food is just above "adequate", but it's lots of fun if you're in the mood. The servers were all animated that night and it was terrific!!!

Enjoyed reading your review ~ Thanx for sharing.

Thanks so much for sharing your review! I've never been, but hoping to go in June, 2007!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter