A little disappointed in planning for Universal

disndatworld

Mouseketeer
Avid Disney fan. Usually do an annual trip to WDW and this year want to do a split stay. Beginning 3 nights at Universal (Royal Pacific or Portofino) and 5 nights at WDW Caribbean Beach.

I'm a little disappointed with the universal costs, and transportation options.

It looks like the cost for 2 adults, and children 17, 13 & 10 for 3 nights + 3 park days tix is over 2K at Royal Pacific in April. I also need to purchase transportation.

I'm just surprised - I have not been in so long and this is a bit of sticker shock. The room rate is showing at $279 per night (+ taxes) at Royal Pacific. I realize you get the Express Pass for guests (5 of us).

Any opinions or ideas I may be missing out on?

Thanks in advance!

You can try getting one annual pass (you can get a power pass as long as the blackout dates don't interfere.) Use code APH in the code box to check on hotel rates. They can be substantially lower at that time. You'd only need one pass.

Also, use other websites such as Undercover Tourist, for tickets. You can often gets rooms cheaper through third party sites like Orbitz and cheaptickets. If you book through Orbitz, don't add the children since they charge extra through Orbitz but not through the normal website. Make sure, though, that you book the correct rooms.

Also, remember that the hotels that include express passes are deluxe hotels and are priced accordingly.

If you don't think you want express, Cabana Bay is a wonderful and cheaper option.

Peak times are really sparse for discounts.

With your family configuration, I'd consider the deluxe 2 queen room at the HRH since it includes a pullout couch and has lots more space.

Last edited:
I just priced Disney, Carribean Beach Resort for 3 nights, family of 5, 3 day tix - $2100 and change, $2400 with Hoppers. That does not factor in Express Passes for 5 for four days and a nicer resort.

Short stays are more expensive. The price per day decreases dramatically after 4 night stays everywhere. Difference in Disney tickets are only $10 per day after four days. A 3 park unlimited at Uni through Undercover Tourist is less than five dollars more expensive that a 4 day park to park. Universal has a Stay More Save More option for longer stays that reduce per day prices significantly.

Split stays can ruin a budget in a hurry!

Quite frankly, you may want to consider booking the full week at Disney, then book one night at Royal Pacific for two days of Express Pass. As stated on many threads, you just have to get past the idea that you are paying for two rooms on one night and look at it as paying $300 ish dollars for 2 days of Express Pass (in your case - 5 people x 2 days = 10 passes, or over $1,000 value). Run the numbers both ways and see which one comes out less expensive. I know I have done it often for my family of four, and it costs about $1,000 - $1,200 for the hotel, 4 tickets, car service, and food. That is $500 - $600 per day, which is roughly what we spend on an 8 day vacation ($4K - $5K).

It's hard to know where to point you since we don't know how you are looking to book. Are you looking at a package? If so, try a la carte. If you're going a la carte on Uni's website, try Damo's suggestions. etc. :)

Thank you for the input Damo & VacaPlanner2012. It's very helpful.

VacaPlanner2012 I will look into that option of booking for 1 night and getting 2 days + EP (included). I would rule out Universal if it weren't for our 2 teenagers :) plus my wife's sister & her husband + kids are going. So everybody is looking forward to the time together. We are all very close.

I do have a price based on this recommendation... and just have a question or 2 in case somebody is willing to respond:

Total Price: $1,385.98 (this is park-to-park)
Total Price: $1,146.33 (this is 1 park)
Hotel - LOEWS ROYAL PACIFIC RESORT AT UNIVERSAL ORLANDO® - Wed, Apr 6 to Thu, Apr 7
Add-on
- 2-Day Base Ticket - Wed, Apr 6
Add-on - CityWalk Party Pass - Wed, Apr 6
Add-on - Early Park Admission - Wed, Apr 6
Add-on - FREE Universal Express Unlimited ride access - Wed, Apr 6

Q1: For a 2 day trip, is there any major advantage of park-to-park?
Q2: Why does it show "FREE Universal Express Unlimited ride access - Wed, Apr 6" for only 1 day? I thought you got the day of check-in and the day of check-out for the Express Pass?

Thanks, in advance!!!

I would price the room and tickets separately. The express pass that the hotels have has nothing to do with the tickets. You can get the tickets anywhere. Many use undercovertourist or maple leaf or tickets to work. Make sure you include shipping and tax on the tickets. From undercovertourist, free shipping in the US and includes tax. They usually also sell a buy 2 days and get one day free.

I don't know why they say only one day express pass. When you get your express pass in the lobby, with your room card, it will say good until the day you check out, that means it expires on midnight or park closing the day you check out. That's why many book a one night room, even if they don't sleep in it, to get the 2 days of express pass. That express pass is unlimited, and is good for all but a few rides, including the 2 Potter rides, (but not the 2 roller coasters in the IOA potter land) and Pteranodon Flyer. The Flyer is for a young kid and adult/older kid. SO, unless your kids are small, no one will be able to ride the Flyer.

My kids are teens and we always stay onsite. We love the unlimited express pass, and the early entry to get a jump on one of the Potter lands.

I have to say, any amusement park or even a concert or sporting event is expensive, even more so, when short in time.

I hope you enjoy USO as much as we do. I find it a very relaxing vacation, and my kids are happy. We like the Royal Pacific and Portofino the best.

I agree with booking separate, it won't solve the world's problems, but it will save you about $40 dollars. Also, the 2 day park to park ticket at Undercover tourist gives a 3rd day free. Hey, you never know. That way, it will only cost you a cab ride later in the week if you want to go back!

We have always splurged and got the park to park tickets. Here's why - on the night that we are staying, we like to head back to the hotel in the afternoon and change into our bathing suits to do the water rides at IofA, they are a blast!!! But you get SOAKED, like jump into the deep end of the pool in your clothes soaked! We spend about 90 minutes doing this, then head back to the hotel to change again. And - there is no way my kids can be onsite and wait until day 2 to get to Universal proper and ride Transformers, Despicable Me, and Mummy over and over, and there is that family friendly battle for high score on MIB, we just couldn't wait!!! Also, we love Confisco to eat, and it's too hard to plan if you don't have the flexibility! Oh yeah, and there is that train thing for the Potterheads!

Honestly, if you get there at a reasonable time on Day one (check in day), you can head over to the kiosk, smile pretty, get your incredibly blurry Express Pass and head over to the parks, spend 5-6 hours there and still enjoy the resort a bit at night. Then, spend all day in the parks on Day two. You won't see everything, but you will hit all of the major attractions and still relax a bit at the resort. Keep in mind, all amenities are open to you until midnight opn check out day, so you can take a swim on Day two before you head out and then change in the Fitness Center, it's very nice and plenty ample.

Q2: Why does it show "FREE Universal Express Unlimited ride access - Wed, Apr 6" for only 1 day? I thought you got the day of check-in and the day of check-out for the Express Pass?

It only shows the start date. EPs are valid from check in to check out day

Of course you realise that in order to take advantage of the check in day EP and EE you'll need to check in super early

You can try getting one annual pass (you can get a power pass as long as the blackout dates don't interfere.) Use code APH in the code box to check on hotel rates. They can be substantially lower at that time. You'd only need one pass.

Dear Damo,

I cannot thank you enough!

I had a reservation for RPR for $349+tax a night (Spring Break) and plugged in the APH code to see a rate $234. So I called Universal. At first I was told that to get room rates, I had to have a validated AP in hand. Well, I live in Texas. It's not like I can just hop in the car and validate that pass in few minutes. Then the lady said if I booked a package with the AP I could get the AP rate, but she only booked tickets and I'd have to talk to hotels.

She transferred me to hotels. The guy on the line said I would have to have valid AP in hand before I could book an AP rate at the hotel. I said, "Thank you very much." I hung up and called again.

This time I talked to Cody, who was able to book the APH rate with one power pass (thankfully the blackout dates begin the day after we leave) and the 3 park unlimited 14 day passes for the rest of the group.

Apparently, UOR is like WDW in that it depends who is on the other end of the line. Thanks again, you saved us quite a bit of money.

Julie

Dear Damo,

I cannot thank you enough!

I had a reservation for RPR for $349+tax a night (Spring Break) and plugged in the APH code to see a rate $234. So I called Universal. At first I was told that to get room rates, I had to have a validated AP in hand. Well, I live in Texas. It's not like I can just hop in the car and validate that pass in few minutes. Then the lady said if I booked a package with the AP I could get the AP rate, but she only booked tickets and I'd have to talk to hotels.

She transferred me to hotels. The guy on the line said I would have to have valid AP in hand before I could book an AP rate at the hotel. I said, "Thank you very much." I hung up and called again.

This time I talked to Cody, who was able to book the APH rate with one power pass (thankfully the blackout dates begin the day after we leave) and the 3 park unlimited 14 day passes for the rest of the group.

Apparently, UOR is like WDW in that it depends who is on the other end of the line. Thanks again, you saved us quite a bit of money.

Julie

Sometimes, I'm sure we know more here on the disboards than some employees!!! I'm so glad it worked for you and you saved some money. Remember that you can pick up your annual pass as the kiosk in the lobby and that should save you some time.

Sometimes, I'm sure we know more here on the disboards than some employees!!! I'm so glad it worked for you and you saved some money. Remember that you can pick up your annual pass as the kiosk in the lobby and that should save you some time.
Nope, you have to get it at the kiosks at the entrance to the park. I have seen the reports that you can do it in the lobby but they are not true.

I was told to pick up my pass/tickets at the kiosk in the lobby before I check in. Since wemaremchecking in early to get the hour early entry, we have to have the tics in hand at check in.

I was told to pick up my pass/tickets at the kiosk in the lobby before I check in. Since wemaremchecking in early to get the hour early entry, we have to have the tics in hand at check in.
Well for a fact I can only speak for RPR. There are no ticket kiosks here. I didn't need to have my ticket at check in.

Well for a fact I can only speak for RPR. There are no ticket kiosks here. I didn't need to have my ticket at check in.

Nuts. That is so weird. The guy on the phone booking the package gave me instructions to walk past the check in and I will go straight to a kiosk. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:
I just called the resort directly. They do NOT have a kiosk, but they do have a ticket center that opens at 7am daily.

I just called the resort directly. They do NOT have a kiosk, but they do have a ticket center that opens at 7am daily.

SA mom, Mac just called the resort and they have said that nothing has changed. The electronic ticket pickup is still where it always has been. It is part of the concierge desk beside the express pass kiosks.

oi-loews-royal-pacific-resort-registration-lobby-universal-orlando-190.jpg

Avid Disney fan. Usually do an annual trip to WDW and this year want to do a split stay. Beginning 3 nights at Universal (Royal Pacific or Portofino) and 5 nights at WDW Caribbean Beach.

I'm a little disappointed with the universal costs, and transportation options.

It looks like the cost for 2 adults, and children 17, 13 & 10 for 3 nights + 3 park days tix is over 2K at Royal Pacific in April. I also need to purchase transportation.

I'm just surprised - I have not been in so long and this is a bit of sticker shock. The room rate is showing at $279 per night (+ taxes) at Royal Pacific. I realize you get the Express Pass for guests (5 of us).

Thanks in advance!
Quite similar to a trip we went on last September - though my kids were 16, 14, and 12 at the time. Funny, we also split - we did 3 at Universal and 7 days Disney - and it was Caribbean Beach for Disney :-)

For the Universal side, we stayed at Cabana Bay and got a discount from Cheap Tickets - I think our nightly rate for a family suite (really good space) was $139. So we saved a lot there - realizing, no express passes for us.

We also bought out tix from Undercover Tourist - and they had a deal at the time which was buy 2 days, get one free. I think they are still running that one, saves quite a bit.

For transportation, we got a ride with Tony Hinds (mentioned often on the boards) which cost us $100 total from airport to UO and from UO to Caribbean Beach. We took the magical express on the way back to the airport. This was MUCH cheaper than renting a car would have been, especially when you include what Universal charges for parking.

Also, keep in mind, the hotels are....well....nicer at Universal. Our room and overall hotel experience at Cabana Bay (which is a VALUE for Universal) was MUCH better than our MODERATE level Caribbean Beach room at Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter