A Procrastinator's September 2010 Pre-Trip Report

Jay2009

Mouseketeer
Ok, so I never intended to write a trip report, never mind a pre-trip report. But as the days count down to my next trip, I find myself thinking more and more about it, and thinking about my last trip, and ok… my next one too. So I’m going to give this a shot. And if I fail miserably I will deny ever doing it to my dying day.

Introductions

So first, we’ll start with introductions. This is where it gets slightly complicated. Since a lot of this trip is influenced by my last I should introduce everyone who was on the last trip, as they will most likely be mentioned. So for the last trip it was Me, a 28 year old awesome guy still working on completing my bachelors degree (paying for it myself out of pocket has caused me to need to take semesters off here and there, but I should finish within a few semesters) and working one full time job and several part time jobs to afford vacations like these. I started coming to the disboards last year in preparation for my trip and my name is Jay. So as you can see by my username, I am incredibly inventive and a creative person. I hear you shouting “will you come up with a neat username like that for me?” well no, friends, you see inspiration only struck once and hasn’t been seen again. I’m anxiously awaiting its return. I suppose I should also share that I’m slightly sarcastic.

Also joining me on last year’s journey was my mother, my father, and my niece Cailin who was 5 at the time we took her. I wanted to see WDW through her eyes and experience her seeing things for the first time. I remember the first time I went I was about ten years old and I had a great time, but it seems some of the magic is extra special for a child. I would find out if this theory proved to be true.

Here's a picture of Cailin with Fronteir Donald:
2yo245f.jpg

On this current trip it will be myself and my mother, as my father only had a certain number of vacation days available and decided a fishing trip with his friends was better than a trip to disney world. However, now that that trip is over and ours is approaching, I think he is getting a little jealous. This is the man who taught me you make choice and live with the consequences, so he can live with it. I’m also not really upset that my father isn’t coming, he’s the commando style type of person and would hurry us all up to follow his insane pace only to make us come to a complete halt so he could get a picture of something, and then start us back up on our crazy pace. My life is a hundred miles an hour (especially on the highway, I’m usually running late) so on vacation I want a more relaxed pace. With him at home, this can happen.

The Planning

So I decided I wanted to go on vacation one particularly bad day at work. I’ll admit, I get paid bi-weekly and each pay day I open up my pay stub and look at the amount of vacation time I’ve accrued. I log into my bank account and check to make sure the direct deposit went through and look at the total in the bank. Then I play imaginary vacation where I total up how many days I could take off and where I could afford to go. This 10 to 15 minute break every other week is something I really look forward to, as sad as it may seem.

My mother had some health problems this year and when she came through it all I told her I’d take her on vacation anywhere she wanted to go. I researched some great cruises (never have been on one, but would love to try one) and looked up some other great destinations. My mother told me she wanted to go to Disney World again. I should have been surprised. My mother isn’t the type who goes to a restaurant and tries something new. She’s the type of person who orders what she knows she likes. I guess this was no different. She knows she likes it there, so that’s where she wants to go. I’ll have to go on a cruise some other time.

So now that we have the destination set, I pick the dates, September 23rd to October 1st. Well originally it was supposed to be until the 2nd but my friend planned her wedding that day and I just plain forgot so I have to be back in time for that. So October 1st it is. If I remember correctly this the anniversary of the opening of MK and Epcot. Seems like a good time to be there, even if it’s the last day we’re there.

On our last trip we stayed at pop century. It was fine for its purpose, a place to sleep. The bus system was good and the decorations were cute. But the room was small. This time I want to stay in a bigger room with a more adult feel and maybe a little quieter. So doing some research I’ve decided the French Quarter would be a great place to stay.

You know this is all coming along so easily. The dates, the hotel, the… oh no. The travel. I live in New England. A suburb of Boston. Driving in a car with my mother would not work, she doesn’t like to drive in traffic, rain or at night. So that would leave me to make the whole drive by myself and she likes to offer suggestions on how I could be a better driver which usually include “slow down” . So that’s not going to work. But I hate flying. It’s so final. You get on the plane and you have no control. I don’t like that. But it’s the most practical I guess, so that’s what we’re doing. I wonder if I can get my doctor to prescribe me something to keep me nice and sedated while I fly. That’s all I want, a little sedation is that really too much to ask?

I decided to bite the bullet and booked a flight on Jet Blue, I really hope I get a flight with a surly flight attendant who deploys the slide after cursing out all the passengers. That would really make the experience all worth it.

I can only hope the beginning of this trip will be better than the last. Last year when we were leaving we had a flight scheduled at 8 p.m. that got into Orlando at 11 p.m. With Magical Express we figured we’d be at Pop Century around 12:30 p.m. This would give us enough time to get to sleep and wake up for our early breakfast at Akershus so my niece could meet the princesses. This was my bright idea as I didn’t want to have to wait in line for several different princesses for pictures and autographs. Plus it kills two birds with one stone, she sees the princesses, the rest of us eat. We’re all happy.

However. When we got to the airport and made it through security and had dinner, we went to the gate to find that our flight was slightly delayed for a storm that they wanted to let pass by someone on the route before we took off. They assured us it would only be an hour at the most. At this point I’m beside myself. I don’t like flying, at all. And I’m sitting here looking at the plane ready to go and looking ominous on the runway. We were allowed to board after only forty five minutes, which was nice and all firmly in our seats I began my pre take off ritual of hyperventilating.

The captain comes on the intercom and tells us that he apologizes for the wait but the silver lining is we’ll be able to see the shuttle launch as we enter florida. That’s a neat treat. We’re fourth in line for take off and everyone should get ready for departure. The next few moments go by quickly and soon he comes on the intercom again. We must be ready to go, right? No. You see this is right when Ted Kennedy died and the funeral is scheduled for the next day. So the captain comes on the intercom again and tells us that we can’t take off as Air Force One is coming in and the whole place has been declared a no fly zone until the president is off his plane. I’m not kidding. My family turns to look at me trying to gauge whether or not I’ll find our crappy luck funny yet, I do not.

After an hour we’re in the air and on our way. We get into Orlando at 1 a.m. and into our room at 2:30 a.m. Our reservation is for 8 a.m. I’m proud to say we made it and still managed to have a good time, but what a stressful start to a vacation!

Itinerary/ADR’s

So, after learning from last year’s trip, I have nothing planned for our first day at WDW. Already the non commando style is setting in and I’m loving it. This year our flight leaves at 6 a.m. and is scheduled to get in around 9 a.m. I did this so I’m not spending the whole day anxiety stricken over having to get onto a flight. Hopefully getting it out of the way early in the day will lead our vacation out on the right track.

So here are the ADR’s I have (I change these entirely too much but this is as of now)

9/23 - Arrive at POFQ and take the boat to DTD Dinner reservation at T-Rex at 3:30
9/24 - Whispering Canyon at 6:10
9/25 - Wolfgang Puck Café at 6:30
9/26 - 50’s Prime Time Café at 5:50
9/27 - Coral Reef at 5:35
9/28 - California Grill at 7:35
9/29 - Kouzzina at 6:30
9/30 - Les Chefs De France at 6:30

The only place out of these that I’ve eaten at before is 50’s Prime Time and I did enjoy it there so I figured I’d try it again and try out these others ones. Anyone love these, hate these? Opinions are welcomed and encouraged!

So I will admit deciding what parks to go to is not my strong point. Every website has different reported hours and then they list EMH and I’m not sure if those hours listed are with the added hours added if or I’m supposed to do the adding myself. Sigh. So as of right now I don’t know where I’ll be going each day, but I do have park hoppers so I have some flexibility there.

and just for the heck of it, here's a picture from last year's trip at Hallowishes:
kalq9g.jpg

Hi Jay!
You're ADR's look great. That is so sweet of you to take your mom on this trip. :)

Hi Jay!
You're ADR's look great. That is so sweet of you to take your mom on this trip. :)

Thanks, I hope the ADR's turn out to be as good! I'm trying hard not to change them again :rotfl:

I think going with my mother will be fun, I get a lot of my vacation qualities from her, I don't like to commando style, or at least I don't want to this time... I want to go look at some of the other resorts and she does too. And we both are fine with taking off by ourselves, so if she wants to do one thing and I want to do something else, all is good!

I'm heading off to read your PTR now!

HI :)We are going to Disney the same time you are (except you get to be there more days, so jealous) We are there 9/23-9/28 . I am both to lazy and not creative enough to do a PTR so I am living through other people's PTRs. This time its going to be a relaxing trip (so she says now)
Here's hoping we have great weather while we are there!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter