A question about pollen and allergies

monarchsfan16

<font color=green>Holy smokes, the DIS is a big pl
Hi everyone. I really don't know what board to post this one on, but since you all seem to know everything, I figured I'd give this one a try.
The allergies are kicking into high gear right now. NH pollen is getting pretty high. I've noticed too, that Orlando pollen is high right now, and my guess is will be when we're there in 2 weeks. I've developed allergies since we were last traveling during high pollen season, so I really have no idea what to expect. This may seem like a dumb question, but I really don't know; would the pollen in Florida be a different kind than the pollen in NH? I know there are different kinds, and I know some kinds don't affect me (not sure which ones but I do know that much). I'm just curious. And don't worry if no one knows the answer; I know we're all from different parts of the country and all.

I have fairly severe allergies and I have found them to be worse anytime I travel at all....I would plan for the worst (ie bring appropriate meds, go out during time of lowest pollen count, etc) and hope for the best, that way no matter what happens you are prepared.

We live locally (Altamonte Springs) and are at the parks every weekend....I hope we run inot you there. PM me if you feel like a meet up...

BTW: I am sure you already know this, but proceed with caustion at Epcot as you will be here during the Flower and Garden festival...

I grew up near Saratoga Springs, NY. I have also lived in Syracuse, Central NJ, and near Orlando FL. All four places have different stuff in the air. Saratoga and Siberacuse were pretty close, NJ has a lot of the same pollens, but everything blooms earlier.

Florida is quite different. My allergies bother me less there, my sons bother him more--go figure.

I'd suggest being prepared with an allergy medication just in case. Have a great trip!

MommytoMJM said:
I have fairly severe allergies and I have found them to be worse anytime I travel at all....I would plan for the worst (ie bring appropriate meds, go out during time of lowest pollen count, etc) and hope for the best, that way no matter what happens you are prepared.

We live locally (Altamonte Springs) and are at the parks every weekend....I hope we run inot you there. PM me if you feel like a meet up...

BTW: I am sure you already know this, but proceed with caustion at Epcot as you will be here during the Flower and Garden festival...
Is there really a time during the day when the pollen count is lowest? I hadn't heard of that. And to make things better we're staying at Wilderness Lodge...in the woods.
To be honest I hadn't thought of the flower and garden festival issue. This could be interesting :rolleyes:
As for a meet up, nobody's letting me plan anything; they want to "go with the flow", so I have no idea where we'll be when.
Thanks for the answers. Looks like we'll be stocking up on meds before we go.

It really all depends on what you are allergic to. Pollen comes from different plants so the ones in FL are going to be different than the ones in NH. I grew up in Charleston, SC and lived in Orlando for 7 years. I was miserable every year in Charleston when the pollen was around but I didnt have much of a problem in Orlando so I guess whatever really aggravated my allergies the most just wasnt prevalent in Orlando. (I hope that is the case for you too so you can enjoy your vacation!!)

Bring your allergy meds and make the best of it! We learned about the Flower and Garden festival the hard way last year too when DD6 had an unwanted encounter with a bee!

MCMom

I've never had a problem with pollen in NH but when I lived in Atlanta I was miserable every spring and summer. My one and only trip to Florida in the spring I was a little stuffy but not too bad. When I lived in Oklahoma and Nebraska I was really suffering for several months of the year. In Southern California I was fine most of the time. So different areas of the country definitely have different pollen. Have a great trip. Wish I didn't have to wait until fall to go again.

monarchsfan16 said:
As for a meet up, nobody's letting me plan anything; they want to "go with the flow", so I have no idea where we'll be when.

Well ... if you'd like to spend some time hanging out with another hockey fan, shoot me a PM and I'll respond with a cell phone #

great topic!!! ha ha ha

I was down in disney the 3rd week in april last year. The pollen rates are skyrockeing at that time. my son and i both has seasonal allergies bad. I get sick if i stay in old hotels b/c of the mold coming out of the vents. my advice is to not turn on the air on the planes b/c its drying. once you get in orlando or that morning before you fly take a allergy pill. My sons were much worse than mine. i was afraid to put him on anything b/c i didnt want to make him drowsy while we were there. . he is now on singulair and it works really well. im on zyrtec and it seems to be working. best of luck. there is a walgreens right outside of downtown disney once you leave disney. we were there endless amounts of times!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter