A question for American Girl fans

dabecs

WDW 2012, WDW 2014, DL 2017!
When I first saw American girl dolls and heard about the shop a few years ago I knew if I ever took my girls to the USA then a trip to an AG store would be a must;)

We will go to the one in NY and thanks to Teak's trip report I learnt about having a personal shopper and the cafe at the store. So I will definitely book in both of those:goodvibes

When we go my girls will be five and six and a half - so I am really unsure which doll to get them? I think miss 5 would prefer a bitty baby but for miss 6 should I get her a baby too so they have the same or should I get her an actual AG? I was thinking of getting her Kit - I love the story line and miss 6 is an avid reader so I think she would really enjoy the books (maybe more than the doll actually!)

I know I could just wait till we got there and let them pick but I was really hoping to actually choose the dolls and get them shipped to WDW and then in the store we could shop for outfits and accessories. I am worried that the sheer choice would be too much for them and I think they would be good to have in our room at WDW for some quiet play time when the parks have got a bit too much. Plus if I get them shipped with a brochure the girls can start to think about what they would like to pick out at the store etc..

Any suggestions or anything else I should know about AG or shopping at AG?

i saw the AG dolls featured in Modern Family & kinda fell in love with them myself, and i'm over 30.

i think the idea of having the dolls sent to the hotel is a great idea, and then you can go to the store to shop for accessories...

the NY store is not super huge--just a ton of stuff, and, yes, it would overwhelm a 5/6 yr old. My 9 yr old, who already had an AG doll came out with nothing--too much to choose from.
Kit is a great choice for a doll for a 6 yr old--esp. since she has shorter hair (less likely to get messed up over the years--although AG dolls has the best hair of any doll I have ever seen).
Yes--order some catalogs (even ahead of the dolls--in case they don't pack a catalog in the box), so the girls can look ahead of time and get an idea of what the might want---my daughter spends hours looking at them.
I really like the historical dolls--it really got my daughter hooked on reading the books. Also, there are 3 DVDs--Kit, Samantha, and Felicity. Kit is the one made into the movie, but the other 2 are good, as well. I got mine on Amazon.

My DD turned 5 during our last trip in 2009, and we spent ages trying to decide which AG doll to buy. She ended up choosing Itty Bitty twins which she adores - none of her friends are allowed to touch these babies, they're lucky to be able to sneak a quick glance at them if DD is feeling generous, lol.

This time however, she has her heart set on a doll with a wheelchair!

So they send catalogues to Australia? I'd love to get one before our trip as I plan on taking my youngest girl to the LA store. We had a catalogue from our first trip but gave it to a friend as there was a doll in it that looked exactly like her daughter, I spent ages reading it first though as it was a great catalogue.

I'm sorry, I thought they did send to Australia---it looks like only the US and Canada. Do you have anyone in USA/CA who could order and then forward to you? If not, maybe your girls could look online to get ideas.

I'm a mother of boys....so this whole grand daughter girly stuff is foreign to me...:confused3

indy is 4, ava 3...would they like these and what types???

or are they for adult collectors??

American girls Dolls are marketed for 8yrs plus, they are gorgeous dolls, soft bodies, lovely hair, moveable limbs and eyes that close. Bitty babies might be better for the younger ones.

If you contact the personal shopper, either by ph or email they will get what you want and send it out, cheaper then their online store. I got a catalogue with my order, maybe if you contact them they can organize one to be sent out.

I got my DD a "my American girl doll" which is one that looks like her, this is her doll and the clothes she got for Xmas, I love how they come packaged

Sorry I don't know why the pictures are all over the place when they are the same size!!
P1000728.jpg

P1000730.jpg

P1000732.jpg

Thanks for the replies everyone:)

Alicia - I love them too! Fantastic thing about having daughters is the shopping!

Liz from Oz - I glanced at the twins but didn't look at them in detail, I'll have a better look at them now.

Aust - we had a catalogue from when MIL went, the range was amazing.

Ido - I will make sure I ask for a brochure to be sent with the dolls. And then I can also get an idea of what the girls like so when in the store I can do some sneaky Christmas shopping too! I agree that the historical side is a great.

AustralianKaren - Check out the website - treasure trove! For children 3 - 8 they recommend bitty baby. Miss 4 (who will be 5 on our trip) really loves baby dolls and everyone says AG are great quality. I love that there are so many accessories that if a child falls in love they can build up a collection over time.

ExcitedSam - Love that wrapping! I will definitely keep details from the personal shopper we get in NY so I can get anything else we need sent out directly:) Thanks for that tip.

I can see this being an expensive venture....but hey cant take it with you:thumbsup2

will look at the bitty ones....

do you find it a bit creepy that they look so life like...oh and my DGS is 5, would he want one too....

yep....money is going to be spent..:clown:

Oh Karen, you have no idea!

We are going to the LA store and the cafe too, DD is bringing her doll, ilove how they make a place for dolls too, it's a real little girls paradise.

I ordered mine from the NY personal shopper, Sharon.DePippo@AmericanGirl.com there is an LA one but can't find it off hand.

thanks for leading me to the dark side:scared:

will have another good look at the web site..although I did see the bitty twins pack for $200 ish..is that what I should go for?

the girls are here now, bit grumpy they are after busy day, so maybe a lump of coal each would be better:crowded:

thanks for leading me to the dark side:scared:

will have another good look at the web site..although I did see the bitty twins pack for $200 ish..is that what I should go for?

the girls are here now, bit grumpy they are after busy day, so maybe a lump of coal each would be better:crowded:

one of my favourite authors is a grandma and she highly recommends bribery for improving children's moods :)

their in bed watching George of the jungle....

nothing like chocolate milk and a warm ma's house to lift the spirits....DGS & I are trying to play trains, but Minnie keeps lying on the tracks...

Hi, I am glad you liked my blog reference to AG!

On our first trip DD (who was 12) purchased the doll that looked like herself. She had sat down and gone through the website to decide. On that trip we also bought three more dolls for my nieces, they also added clothes. My nieces were all under 10 and all chose the historical dolls. For that trip I emailed the personal shopper a list of what my sister wanted and she had it all ready for us. Leaving my DD to look around the shop to choose clothes for herself. The personal shopper was great, she went through the history of the dolls with my DD.

On this trip my DD picked Kit, once again a pre-shopping choice. We were not buying as much so did not pre-organise a personal shopper, though we did have one help with the final purchase (my DH loves that there is a huge lounge to snooze on). I can pm you the personal shoppers details in NY if you would like.

My sister has items sent to her from AG and catalogues, she has also sent back items. We also subscribed to the magazine for a year after our first trip (it was about $20 for a year).

I would recommend including a hair brush in your purchase (our first personal shopper gave us this tip), as they are designed for their hair.

My DD was a lot older when she for her first doll (12), so they are more 'display' dolls than play dolls. My nieces now have a few dolls each, and they are definitely 'play' dolls.

Editing to add - our personal shopper on this trip was the same as ExcitedSam as provided (she also recommended Junior's). Email her and see if she will send you a catalogue - otherwise everything is online, and sign up for their e-newsletter. If you are going to WDW before NY, I would wait and buy there - less luggage to carry.

I never saw your post Toy Story -sorry for not replying earlier:upsidedow

Kit was one of the dolls I fell in love with online:cloud9: I have even watched the movie:rotfl2:

I have 'liked' AG on facebook so I'm keeping up with the latest news and the new historical doll coming out but at the moment I am leaning towards a baby for miss 5 and Kit or Emily (even though she is Molly's secondary character) for miss 6:thumbsup2

Still 140 days till we leave though so plenty of time to change my mind:confused: then change it back:confused: then change it again!:rotfl:

Hi dabecs,

In Oct last year, I took my two girls (then aged four and five) to AGplaceNY, we booked for the cafe and allowed an hour or two in the store. It was actually easier for them to pick a doll than I thought, they both had one that they had their heart set on after having a look around (hadn't seen a catalogue or anything previously). I had faves that I thought I could sway them toward if they were stumped (dolls that looked like them, for eg), but no go! :rotfl: They are still a HUGE hit, played with every day. Older DD went for Marie-Grace (whom she immediately named Lasagne, I told her that maybe lasagne was a food so now she's Alasagne...) and younger DD Julie. They are both gorgeous dolls! Once they got the dolls they wandered the store looking, and I too wandered and took note of the outfits they liked (and those I liked too!) and grabbed boxes as I went. We had a personal shopper (very easy to book) who then tallied everything up at the end for us, and we went and took Julie and Lasagne/Alasagne/Marie-Grace to the cafe for dinner :)

Very successful trip, very easy!

...Oh, and very expensive too. Maybe take out a second small mortgage before you go :lmao:

...Oh, and very expensive too. Maybe take out a second small mortgage before you go :lmao:

Yeah I have had a look on the AG site and I made a bit of a 'wish list' and then when I added it up I had to pick myself up off the floor:scared1:

I am going to have to set myself a limit:rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter