A Quick Holiday Summary

WanderlustNZ

DIS Veteran
After all the planning and all the fun, sadly the last day of my holiday is arrived. I can feel the post-holiday blues looming just around the corner, so I thought I'd scare them away by writing about some of my favourite moments to date. I will be writing everything on my blog (with heaps of pics), but that might take me a while to get started, so here's a quick summary.

It's my son's birthday today and he had a choice to go back to any place in Disney. Initially it looked like he was going to pick one of the water parks as they were clear hits with him, but no, my son chose... drum roll please...DisneyQuest. :rotfl: Of all the fun rides to pick from, my son wants to go play computer games. I blame it on the fact that we only had an hour there the other day before going to La Nouba and it was just enough of a taste to leave him wanting more. But in a way, I'm happy. Because it doesn't open until 11:30 it means a late start. I can pack and type here on the DIS for a while, while my family have a nice sleep in. Plus I might leave my husband and son to it for an hour or so and go do some last minute souvenir shopping.

Anyway, looking back at my holiday, I can honestly say there was not a single thing we did that I would regret or change. Obviously, some things have been better than others, but there also hasn't been anything any of my family have hated (with the exception of my husband's contempt for the Small World ride :rotfl: )
I really do think all the obsessive planning has paid off. I have noticed frustrated people everywhere who obviously want to do things, but have not planned and missed out. Like the people last night who arrived a couple of minutes before the Electric Light parade, had no where to park up, and were angry their electric scooter didn't allow them into our Fastpass + area. Or the mum I saw asking about Jedi training at midday and was upset all times had been assigned.

As well as the planning, I contribute everything going so smoothly to the fairly low crowds, avoiding the parks during the busiest and hottest parts of the day, and our amazing luck with the weather. On our cruise we had 7 days of sunshine and the ocean was like a mill pond. All the staff kept commenting on how unheard of it was to have such amazing weather during hurricane season. They said that the cruise before us had 6 days of rain, one day of sun. Here at WDW, we had our first bout of rain yesterday, where it rained as we were leaving Animal Kingdom and again while we were having tea in Ohana. Apart from that, nothing but a few tiny spits here and there. We haven't even had the Florida afternoon thunderstorms. One day of rain during a 3 week holiday - I feel very lucky.

Favourite part of the whole holiday: our cruise on the Disney Fantasy. Every part of this cruise was professional and carefree. Even my husband loved it and has said he could happily do a Disney cruise again.

Favourite parts of the cruise:
1. Our Bernard's Tour of St Martin/Maarten. I was expecting St Martin to be our least favourite stop and St Thomas/St. John our favourite, but it was the other way around. We loved St Martin and thought the tour guide was excellent.
2. Palo. Wow. The dinner there was particularly amazing.
3. Animator's Palate. Not for the food, but the two shows.
4. My stateroom. I love love loved our room and didn't for a second regret not having a balcony. Besides getting a suite, I don't think there would be any room on the whole ship that I could have been happier in.
5. The three main shows in the theatre. I recommend sitting down the bottom near the front of the stage. It's so much fun having bubbles, streamers, confetti etc falling on your head which seems to happen in every show.
6. The Interactive detective painting game. My son loved this and it was great exercise trekking all over the ship.
7. The Art of the Theme Show ship tour. So interesting to hear all about the design elements and small touches that went into designing the ship. One example is how the imagineers had fun with the scenes in Skyline. If you look really closely the tiny people moving around the scenes are actually Star Wars characters.

Favourite non-cruise part of the holiday: Staying in the Animal Kingdom Lodge (Jambo). I love this hotel so much. We were upgraded from a pool view room to a savannah view and it has been just magical. I didn't think a view of animals would make me so happy, but I get so excited coming back to the room each day to see what is outside. Plus the whole resort is so beautifully designed. Also, despite online complaints, I don't find the transport system from here is that bad. Even though the Boardwalk (the other resort we stayed at) was a quick walk to Epcot, I prefer the transport system here at the Animal Kingdom. The many stops Boardwalk buses had to make annoyed me a bit. Also while our Boardwalk view was excellent (loved being able to watch Illuminations, Wishes, and street performers all at the same time from our balcony) nothing beats the view of the animals.

Best resort Transportation: In continuation of what I mentioned above, I thought it needed to be mentioned that the Universal transportation system puts the Disney one to shame. If you can't be bothered making the quick walk back to one of the hotels, the boats come really frequently and are specific to each resort i.e. no unnecessary stops. The Boardwalk/Beach Club/Swan/Dolphin boat to Hollywood Studios could learn a lot from Universal's system.

Best Ride: This is a tough one as there are so many great options. If I was pushed to decide, it would probably be a tie between Kilimanjaro Safari at AK and Transformers at Universal Studios. My husband would probably pick Big Thunder Mountain, and my son (who is still sleeping), seemed to like Space Mountain.

Best Park Experiences: As much as I liked the rides, nothing beat watching my son do Jedi Training and getting made up for the Pirates League. The whole experience of MNSSHP was excellent, and I also love the Wilderness Explorer programme at AK. It's a great way to make education fun for kids.

Best Dining Experience: Palo by a mile. But the ship excluded, my favourite meal so far has probably been at 50's Prime Time. Not for the food, but the ambience and the great job the server did of playing our 'cousin'. Such a laugh. Foodwise, probably Yak and Yeti or the Singapore booth at the F&W festival. Food full of spices and herbs such as coriander are under-represented here in Disney, so we get excited when we find it. Sanaa tonight, so that might end up being another favourite.

Best Park: I'm not sure I can really answer this one as they all have their pros and cons. At a push I would say AK as I love the theming. If it weren't such a HOT park, it would be my definite favourite, but there is just no breeze in that place. I also loved Blizzard Beach, which I wasn't expecting to love more than Typhoon lagoon, but I did. The lazy river was better, the family raft ride was better, and IMO, the wave pool was better (I like gentle rocking waves, not big crashing ones - my DH and DS would beg to differ). Also the slides at blizzard beach have machines that take the tubes to the top whereas as typhoon lagoon you have to carry them. (Tip: Don't do the three person hydro-coaster at Typhoon lagoon). The 3-people rafts don't have a bottom sheet where you sit and your backside feels the full brunt of the ride. My son and I ended up with big bruises on our backsides and my son was terrified the whole time that he was slipping through the hole in the tube. (I hope that isn't TMI).
Mention also needs to go to the Universal parks. When you stay onsite and get express passes, touring these parks is so relaxed and carefree. Nothing at Disney comes close and I really enjoyed this relaxed style of touring.

Best bargain: Photopass plus. Obviously I haven't received the CD yet, but so far I have been really happy with the system. Getting all our ride photos added to the pass without having to think twice has been great. We received fantastic printed pics at Pirates league and Tusker House without having to pay extra, plus it's been wonderful getting so many shots with all 3 of us in them. I went down to the lobby the other day and viewed all of our 150+ photos to date and are happy with over half of them. One photographer even took a series of 4 different magic shots for us which I loved.

Anyway, my son is now awake. Time to make a start to the day :)

Hi it was lovely reading about your trip this morning. We did a very similar trip a year ago and also loved Fantasy. One of the great things I did when I got home was got some magnets made up from the Disney photo pass site. Ours are Christmas themed and some with ears on them. Every time it go to the fridge I get to relive our trip.

It sounds like you have had a truly magical holiday!

I totally agree that planning does help avoid some of those disappointments. I also agree that watching my boys at Pirates League and Jedi Training Academy was a lot of fun :)

Thanks for checking in :goodvibes

You were so lucky with the weather, which always helps to make things more pleasant :thumbsup2

Sounds like a great time had by all!

Sounds like you had the great holiday we all hope for. Glad the planning paid off plus good luck with weather etc. Wishing you safe travels home.

Sounds like you had an amazing time, I cant wait to read more about it and see some photos.
We loved the 50s Diner too, its on the top of our wish list for next year as well. my daughter didnt eat all her spinach and tried to hide it under the napkins, the waiter didnt comment but when he handed out dessert hers was a plate of spinach topped with whipped cream. that was just one of the things that happened. Our second visit was just as much fun.

How much more is it to dine at Palo?

What an awesome trip!

Bleh, I hate coriander... :crazy2: :rotfl:

I've got to get into Disney Quest next time we go, but I always seem to think "Why pay to go in there, when we've already paid for access into the parks??" So we never end going in.

Sounds like an amazing trip, I can't wait to venture over to Disney World. I'd love to do the Disney Cruise whilst there too, the Fantasy or Dream.

Hi it was lovely reading about your trip this morning. We did a very similar trip a year ago and also loved Fantasy. One of the great things I did when I got home was got some magnets made up from the Disney photo pass site. Ours are Christmas themed and some with ears on them. Every time it go to the fridge I get to relive our trip.

Nice idea. I loved the whole photopass system. Since getting home, I have downloaded all of my photos and are happy with so many. I usually hate photos of myself, but there is well over a dozen that I love. It's also so wonderful to have pics of all 3 of us.

great report. how was navigating fastpass + ?

I didn't love fastpass + to be honest. Everytime I tried to make changes within about 24 hours of using the fastpass, I had issues. Twice I changed our fastpass selections seemingly successfully, until we arrived at the rides to find that our fastpasses weren't recognised. The system seemed to like converting us back to our old selections and usually right at the last minute when I didn't have the time to sort things out. It was frustrating and one of a few teething problems we came across as Disney still adjust to their new system.

Because crowds were low, we also chose not to use a few fastpasses and just do the ride when it was instead convenient to do so.

If I was ever to return, I'm not sure I would bother making Fastpass + selections until a day or two before they are needed.

This is with 2 exceptions: Toy Story Mania, and the Electric Light Parade. Toy Story for the obvious reason of insane queueing times even on quiet days (great ride, but IMO, no ride in Disney is worth more than a 30min queue.) As for ELP, the position and space they give you is excellent. However, policing this area seems like a lot of extra work for Disney staff and I really can't see how it would be beneficial for Disney to continue with this option. I wouldn't be surprised if this fastpass option doesn't last.

The position they give you for Wishes (Rose Garden) is not great.

Sounds like you had an amazing time, I cant wait to read more about it and see some photos.
We loved the 50s Diner too, its on the top of our wish list for next year as well. my daughter didnt eat all her spinach and tried to hide it under the napkins, the waiter didnt comment but when he handed out dessert hers was a plate of spinach topped with whipped cream. that was just one of the things that happened. Our second visit was just as much fun.

How much more is it to dine at Palo?

That's hilarious about the spinach. The actors/servers in that restaurant do such a fabulous job.

Palo is $20pp + gratuity, and is worth every cent. The food, service, and ambience couldn't be faulted.

What an awesome trip!

Bleh, I hate coriander... :crazy2: :rotfl:

I've got to get into Disney Quest next time we go, but I always seem to think "Why pay to go in there, when we've already paid for access into the parks??" So we never end going in.

Coriander - yum. My favourite herb. :)

I didn't love Disney Quest, but for an hour or so, it's a bit of fun. My husband and son seemed to like the place a lot more than I did.

We had the waterpark and more option on our tickets, so going to Disney Quest didn't cost us any extra.

Thank you to everyone for your kind comments and sorry about my tardy responses.

It's taken a bit of adjusting getting back to daily routine and my workload has piled up a lot since I've been away. I am looking forward to writing my blog, but I think it'll probably be a month or two before I have the time to make a good start.

Palo is $20pp + gratuity, and is worth every cent. The food, service, and ambience couldn't be faulted.

Thanks, I was not going to worry about eating there due to us only going on a 4 nighter but now I am having second thoughts, might have to put it down on The List.::yes::

Love your rundown of highlights:)

So many good points but I have to totally agree on the uber planning. So many people who don't enjoy their time at Disney (land and world) because they turn up with no plan. We saw so many people turned away from restaurants because they had no ADR, or people queuing for 3 hours for TSM because they didn't understand FP.

In fact someone I know through another forum is at DL at the moment and said they didn't really enjoy it (their comment "it wasn't as laid back as the Qld theme parks) to me just shows a missed opportunity due to lack of research.

I'm hoping you do have time to write a TR as we are doing the Fantasy Eastern Caribbean cruise and I would love more info on port executions!

Great recap, so glad you had such a great time (and had such great weather!)

Thanks, I was not going to worry about eating there due to us only going on a 4 nighter but now I am having second thoughts, might have to put it down on The List.::yes::

Definitely book it. It would be easier to cancel a booking at the last minute than make one.

If I was doing a 4 nighter, I would probably try and eat at Palo on the last night. That way you won't miss any of the 3 rotational restaurants. In saying that, I would happily swap Palo for any of the restaurants except Animator's Palate. We didn't love the food during our nights in Animator's Palate, but the shows were a precious family experience that I wouldn't want to have missed out on. The look on my son's face when Crush chose him to chat with was priceless. :)

Love your rundown of highlights:)

So many good points but I have to totally agree on the uber planning. So many people who don't enjoy their time at Disney (land and world) because they turn up with no plan. We saw so many people turned away from restaurants because they had no ADR, or people queuing for 3 hours for TSM because they didn't understand FP.

In fact someone I know through another forum is at DL at the moment and said they didn't really enjoy it (their comment "it wasn't as laid back as the Qld theme parks) to me just shows a missed opportunity due to lack of research.

I'm hoping you do have time to write a TR as we are doing the Fantasy Eastern Caribbean cruise and I would love more info on port executions!

Great recap, so glad you had such a great time (and had such great weather!)

You will love the Fantasy. How much longer until your cruise?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter