A Restful Spring Break? - A March/April 2024 Trip Report

StarWarsMomofGirls!

DIS Veteran
Welcome!

I hope you will follow along on my newest trip report. I was going to say what number trip report it was, but I don't know... I have done a bunch at this point. So, if you have followed along before, Welcome Back!!! If you are new, I am sooo glad you are here. I love sharing our trips, it helps withthe post trip blues and a way for me to relive the trips!

Things to look forward to in this trip report:

• Can we actually get rest on this trip?
  • How we handle the spring break crowds
  • Renting a Car to leave property
  • Review of 3 Resorts and 3 water Slides!
  • 2 Extended Evening Hours
  • What rides are ok to ride with a bad back (aka Andy's back)
  • Getting a new Favorite restaurant!
  • Touring with teenagers
  • Possibly FINALLY getting into Trader Sams?!?!

Who Are We?
IMG_5519
This is our little family just hanging out with Walt.... no big deal!

Untitled
Hi! This is me, Ariella. I am your trip reporter and I am the planner of these trips! Over the years it has become my hobby to plan these trips. These trip reports help me wait out till our next trip. So, thank you for following along, if no one read these, there would be no point!
Favorite Ride: Guardians Cosmic Rewind / Haunted mansion
Favorite Food: Bread Service
Favorite Restaurant: Sannaa
Favorite Move / Show: Beauty and the Beast / Tangled

Andy and his Moonshine
Andy is the "dad" our our family. He works hard and alot, and our family vacations are def a way for him to disconnect and actually relax. Andy didn't grow up going to Disney but has grown to love our trips. And has enjoyed how the trips have changed over the years as the girls has gotten older.
Favorite Ride: Big Thunder Mountain / Rise of Resistance
Favorite Food: Moonshine or the Butter Poutine from Eet
Favorite Restaurant: Homecomin' but he said Eet is his new favorite counter service
Favorite Movie / Show: Anything Star Wars

Untitled
Morgan is our oldest. She is currently 15 going on 16 in 2 weeks! She has been busy this year with Outdoor Marching Band and Indoor Drumline. And she wanted to have fun this trip but also really need downtime to relax this trip.
Favorite Ride: Space Mountain / Guardian's Cosmic Rewind
Favorite Food: Pineapple Upside down Cake / Gideon's cookies
Favorite Restaurant: Sci-Fi Drive Inn
Favorite Movie / Show: Gravity Falls

IMG_4328
Gwen is our youngest. She is currently 13 going on 14 this summer. She has really grown up during Covid and there are still times when I don't know how it happened.
Favorite Ride: Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway
Favorite Food: Churros
Favorite Restaurant: Beaches and Cream
Favorite Movie / Show: Tangled the Series

Where
This trip ended up being a 3 resort trip! It wasn't planned to be that way but we did it!

Yacht Club
stormalong-bay-pool-beach-club-resort-disney-world-935

Usually we start at a moderate for the first half of the trip and then more over to a Deluxe to finish off the trip. But when I was booking this trip, I couldn't get Yacht Club for the back half of the trip for some reason. So, I ended up booking Yacht Club for the beginning! We have stayed here a number of times and it has become our favorite resort.

Wilderness Lodge
disney-s-wilderness-lodge

And then when talking with Andy about where to stay for the second half, we didn't want to go to a Moderate after being at Yacht Club. I suggested a hotel we hadn't stayed at in a long time, Wilderness Lodge, and he was ALL for it. Wilderness Lodge was our first taste of a deluxe resort and we fell in love with the boat ride over to Magic Kingdom. So when the girls were smaller and we spent ALOT of time at Magic Kingdom it made sense to stay there.

Coronado Springs
Screenshot 2024-04-17 at 7.35.32 AM

So, I will go into it more in a bit, but right before we left, I needed to extend our trip, and looked up the cheapest Moderates. And I was choosing between Coronado and French Quarter and Coronado won out mostly because of Three Bridges Restaurant. Andy loves this resort, and was happy to stay here again.

When
Ah! Spring Break...
Do I WANT to travel during Spring Break, one of the busiest times of the year for Disney? No.
Do I have 2 teenage daughters who can't really miss school anymore? Yes.
So, Spring Break it is. Our school district always tags spring break onto Easter. And Easter was SUPER early this year! We also had to work around Morgan's Indoor Drumline schedule. And she was originally to have a competition the Saturday leading back into school.

So the original plan was Thursday, March 28th - Friday, March 5th (EARLY flight back)

But then, Morgan's competition got cancelled because too many kids were going to be missing. So, I tried to change it. No luck, Flights were too $$$.

And then we ended up extending the trip till Monday, March 8th at the very last minute. (more on that to come)

Backstory
So, I wanted to give a little back story of our life before this trip happened. Some I talked about on my pre-trip report and some maybe not... I share mostly just to show exactly how much we were all ready for this trip. Sorry that this is so text heavy, and feel free to skip if you just don't care, I won't be offended.

March 2023, my father passed away from colon cancer. He was diagnosed in December and it was fairly agressive. We had a trip to California planned for that year, we cancelled it as we didn't know if we would go or not. And then re-scheduled it last minute after he passed to try and heal a bit. The first Friday of this trip would be the 1 year anniversary of his passing and I wanted to be doing something fun on that day.

At the same time, November 2022, my mother had a blood infection in her spine, and has been ill ever since. While my father was dealing with cancer, my mother was put on a ventilator and truly fighting for her life. She has since become stable but is still on a ventilator and is now in a nursing home with 24 hour care. She gets sick easily (this will come into play during this trip) and needs us to visit her daily. My middle sister and I share the visit time between the 2 of us, but we both have kids (hers are younger) and it is alot to see my mom everyday. So, I was ready for a break for that. (which I know sounds bad, but not all visits are fun and happy)

The Sunday before we were to leave, my grandmother text us (YES, my 87 year old grandmother texts!!! and uses emojis!) to tell us that my grandfather was sent to the hospital and it wasn't good. My grandfather was 90 and had really lived longer than we ever thought he would. Monday, he passed away and my sisters and I started to try and figure out what we would do, depending on when the funeral way. My mother wouldn't be able to go, so we felt we needed to go to be there for her, but we also needed to have someone with her.

I also may or may not of had a mini breakdown, as all of our trips of late have been surrounded by stuff like this, and I was REALLY looking forward to a "real" vacation. And this was potentially going to change that.

I looked and saw that if we flew back Monday, we would actually save money on the flights, so I went ahead and changed our flights. I did this Monday before we left! I have never made changes to a trip so late before this! I looked up cheap moderates to stay at for the extra days. And boom, we were now staying in Florida almost 4 extra days. Not the reasons I would want to be staying longer but non the less.

While this was all happening right before we left, I was working to finish up a major project at work. I was pushing to get it done, so I didn't have to leave it with someone else. And Andy was majorly stressed at work as well.

The previous week, Andy's back started acting up. And the one evening, he sat on the couch to put his sneakers on, and literally couldn't get off the couch! He had to sit for awhile and then roll off the couch. He has a history of back problems, and has already had 2 back surgeries. So we aren't unfamiliar with this. But it could NOT have come at a worse time!!!! I was worried that he wouldn't be able to come with us at one point. Or not be able to really do anything. This really was a huge stress for about 2 weeks leading up to the trip.

Sunday, we celebreated Easter early. We basically just pretended that the day was Easter, we did the whole Easter Basket thing, egg hunt and Easter dinner. It was really nice but a lot with also trying to get packed up for the trip.
Untitled
My teenage girls egg hunting!!!
Untitled

Tuesday, I finished working and was headed to go see my mom for the day. And I see this a block away from our house!!!
Untitled
It was a car on fire!!! Like full on fire!!! It was absolutely crazy!!! We found out it was a truck for a company here that does heating and air conditioning repairs and installation. And it just caught on fire!!
I texted my sisters, and my one sister just laughed and said you have a literal dumpster fire in front of your house. And it was so true. And totally represented how I felt at the time!

Then Wednesday morning, Andy is doing the dishes and informs me that the sink isn't draining. WHAT? ugh... So, he runs out and buys drano, dumps it in.... nothing... So, he called the company that had the truck on fire to come out and take a look. Thankfully they were able to come that day and fix the problem! But you know what you want right before you leave on vacation.... $$$$ spent that you didn't plan on spending!!!

ALL of that to say, this trip was VERY much needed!!!! I will leave on a spoiler, as I don't want to finish on a downer, we did in fact have a great trip and it DID feel like a vacation that I needed. That we all needed.

So, please follow along!!! I have a lot of things to share! And it was a great great trip.

Up next Travel Day!!!!

I’m here, Ariella, and excited to hear about your trip!

Oof, that’s a lot to deal with! Hearing even more backstory I’m so happy you enjoyed your trip - you needed it! :goodvibes

Following! Holy Cow - that's a lot to deal with pre-trip. I'm happy you were able to get away and enjoy the escape from real life. Anxious to hear more!

I’m so excited you’re starting the trip report!

Possibly FINALLY getting into Trader Sams?!?!
I sure hope so!!
Do I WANT to travel during Spring Break, one of the busiest times of the year for Disney? No.
Do I have 2 teenage daughters who can't really miss school anymore? Yes.
So, Spring Break it is.
We’re on the spring break schedule for now and not thrilled with it, but it wasn’t quite as bad as I expected.
The first Friday of this trip would be the 1 year anniversary of his passing and I wanted to be doing something fun on that day.
I’m so sorry for your loss, I hope you found a special way to remember him that day.
I will leave on a spoiler, as I don't want to finish on a downer, we did in fact have a great trip and it DID feel like a vacation that I needed. That we all needed.
I’m so glad to hear it was a good vacation! Definitely sounds needed!

Long time lurker, love your trip reports, and I will be following along with this one! I am so sorry for what you and your family went through leading up to this trip, but the trip itself sounds like it was wonderful and I am so excited to read more about it!

Wow that's a lot :( looking forward to hearing about the fun times
Welcome! Glad you are here!!!

I’m here, Ariella, and excited to hear about your trip!

Oof, that’s a lot to deal with! Hearing even more backstory I’m so happy you enjoyed your trip - you needed it!
Glad you are here!!!

I'm in!! Yes, you needed a vacation! Excited to hear how it all went.
I am looking forward to getting this started!

Following! Holy Cow - that's a lot to deal with pre-trip. I'm happy you were able to get away and enjoy the escape from real life. Anxious to hear more!
It got a little overwhelming at one point for sure!

I’m so excited you’re starting the trip report!
YEAH!! Glad you are here. I have to go back and get caught up on your trip report!

I’m so glad to hear it was a good vacation! Definitely sounds needed!
It was def needed. And at the best time!

And I thought I needed a vacation. Wow, you so deserved this trip. Looking forward to hearing all about it.
Everyone needs a vacation!!! But this was def well timed.

Following along!!!! So glad you had such a restful and relaxing trip
Hi! Glad you are here! How is the planning going for your trip? I need to hop back over there next.

Hooray for vacation right when you needed it most!!! Looking forward to hearing all about it!
It def was well timed with everything!!!

I fully expect to see this on your Christmas card this year!! What a great picture!!!
You will just have to wait and see! ;)

Long time lurker, love your trip reports, and I will be following along with this one! I am so sorry for what you and your family went through leading up to this trip, but the trip itself sounds like it was wonderful and I am so excited to read more about it!
So glad you commented!!! It always is reassuring that people are reading what I write!

I'm following too!
WOW-you are not kidding when you say you needed this vacation!
Welcome!!! Glad you are hear!!!

Oh my goodness-so much going on I am so sorry!!! Following along!!
Thanks for following along! Welcome!!

This truly is a well deserved vacation!
Thanks. Welcome! Glad you are here!!!

Yes, you did need a vacation and I'm happy to hear it was good.

When we went in 2004, I had a rough time leading up to our trip. My Mother had had a stroke and an aneurysm (brain bleed). We were told she was lucky to have survived, but it was a long process. She was in a form of a comma from October 2003 until January 2004. They moved her to a rehab facility right before we left for our Mardi Gras trip. I too was ready for a break after all the surgeries, worries and visiting almost daily.

I hope life has gotten more stable since your return.

Looking forward to hearing the good stuff.

GIRL!

What a hot mess leading up to your trip. I am so sorry to hear everything you have faced. Side note - I had to giggle thinking about your grandmother texting, mine is 95 and also texts me. It is the most wonderful way to communicate with her because we are so busy and she loves receiving photos. Anyway, I know caring for a loved one is mentally and physically draining. I am so glad you were able to feel a bit of relaxation at your happy place. Can't wait to hear all about it.

Teens searching for eggs...I'd hunt for them too if people put candy or money in them! Never too old for that!

Joining in! I am practically FEELING your breakdown! That is a lot to go through in a short period of time. I am glad to hear the spoiler that it was a great trip! looking forward to following along!

We were told she was lucky to have survived, but it was a long process. She was in a form of a comma from October 2003 until January 2004. They moved her to a rehab facility right before we left for our Mardi Gras trip. I too was ready for a break after all the surgeries, worries and visiting almost daily.
I am so sorry to hear you had to go through that! Going through something similar-ish, I wish it on no one. It is so hard to even explain how it feels.

Side note - I had to giggle thinking about your grandmother texting, mine is 95 and also texts me. It is the most wonderful way to communicate with her because we are so busy and she loves receiving photos.
It is so nice being able to do this. And yes, it helps to be able to send pictures to her!

Teens searching for eggs...I'd hunt for them too if people put candy or money in them! Never too old for that!
One year, we had the kids hid beer bottles for the kids to find! All the adults brought a 6 pack. It was fun! And the kids had fun hiding them.

Joining in! I am practically FEELING your breakdown! That is a lot to go through in a short period of time. I am glad to hear the spoiler that it was a great trip! looking forward to following along!
Ugh it was soo much. But the trip literally came at the right time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter