a week at hilton head in march?

Lisa F

is a very wise woman
My husband and I are considering switching our trip in march from BWV to HH. We are already going to be at WDW for 2.5 weeks in January and were thinking this might be a good opportunity to try HH. Also the fact that we can get a 1br for the price of a studio at WDW is a factor.

Anyway, since my spring break is near easter, HH is booked up and I'm on the waiting list. I didn't have them do "auto confirm" if it comes through because I'm still not sure that we want to do this.

My question is, are there enough activities to keep a fairly active young couple busy and entertained for a whole week? Neither of us play golf (or have any desire to) and that seems to be a big activity. I think it will be way too cold to swim in the ocean. What other kinds of things are there to do? If the air temp is warm enough, can you swim in the pool in late march (will the water be warm enough?) I've never been the type to be able to lay out on the beach and relax and I'm afraid of being bored. That's why we like WDW so much! I'd love to hear opinions.

Lisa

We're going to be there for 5 days in December/January, which is bound to be cooler than March - so if you don't mind waiting for the report, I'll be happy to provide one when we return.

The pool is heated year-round and like the pools at WDW it should be heated to about 80 degrees. It's my understanding that even in December/January that people use the pool, especially if it's a nice sunny day, so March shouldn't be a problem.

If you do a search on the board, you'll find lots of topics related to Hilton Head. There's lots to explore in the surrounding area; shops to visit, boat trips, etc. We expect to find plenty to do (we don't golf either).

I'll be eagerly awaiting your trip report. I've seen a list of activities posted recently, but the list means very little to me (does that make sense? I am having a hard time gauging if that list will keep us busy for a day, a weekend, a week? I'm just so much more familiar with WDW that I KNOW I will be entertained). I should try a search for trip reports so I can get more of a sense of "a day in the life."

Lisa

We went to HH in March of 2000, and we had a fabulous time. We don't golf either. We spent a lot of time riding bikes around the resort, relaxing in hammocks, and swimming in the (heated) pools. It was even warm enough that week to wade in the ocean (the week we were there, it was unseasonably warm - high 80's). We did a dolphin boat tour, and kayaking (though we didn't enjoy that at all), and the Behind the Ears tour. We found ourselves not wanting to leave.

HTH

Hi,

I lived on HHI for a year. It is a great place and with a car there is lots to see and do in the surrounding area. Savannah is an hour away. There are lots of museums, restaurants and stores to see there. Beaufort is another historic town about an hour away. And Charleston which is my all time favorite vacation spot is an hour and a half. It is well worth the drive if you have never been. They have a wonderful market area, great restaurants and a beautiful historic district.

The weather should be nice. I remember it being in the low 80's we were in the ocean a bit in March (and I'm usually a wimp about cold water.) There are so many wonderful things to see and do i bet you would stay quite busy.

Hope you get in and have a great trip.

We have been to HH many times during March. The temps have ranged from the low 60's to the mid 80's. Since the resort pool is heated, swimming is still pleasant. The ocean will be too cool to enjoy, but beach walking is a favorite of ours.

There are many areas on the island to explore. There are miles of bike trails and some historical sites to check out- self tour style.

The island has over 300 restaurants and many specialty shops to browse in. We do not play golf, but have enjoyed a wide variety of water related activities at HH. Canoeing, Dolphin excursions, kayaking, sailing, shelling, crabbing and fishing are all available in March.

As mentioned above, a trip to Savannah offers more history, sightseeing (take the trolley tour) and dining options.

In addition to the above comments- RELAXING is also readily available and very inexpensive- IF you are interested in trying that!

Enjoy!

thanks for all of the great responses. HH is sounding better and better all the time to me! Of course, I'm on the waitlist and it's easter week so who knows if we'll be able to get in.

I'm doing my master's in architecture and historic preservation so of course i'd love to see savannah and charleston. My husband is not quite so convinced, however. He does like going on some local tours with me but he's not sure he'd like to do that for a whole week! I am trying to convince him that whatever we do will be more touristy and "fit for public consumption" than some of the things we do around here and that he'd have a great time. He does love history, he is just being a pain. I did make him read this whole thread though!

Oh well, I will be keeping my fingers crossed... if not, we have a "backup" at wdw! (I never thought I'd be saying that, usually that's our primary place!)

Lisa

We've been to Hilton Head in late March. The weather was very nice (mid 70's everyday but 1 rainy day).

We swam everyday in the pool at the resort. The ocean was too cold and the beach house was deserted (no activities there).

We had a great time riding bikes, sightseeing in Savanna & Charleston, going on the dolphin cruise, etc.

Beaufort is next to Hilton Head. Go see the houses on the waterfront there as well. It is a beautiful town.

Becky

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter