ABD trimming departure dates

Y'all aren't alone in this one. Last year when we had our DVC Members only Alaska Cruise with the ABD add-on, they pulled this exact same stunt. Saying "We don't know....truly, you must believe us....." And not even 48 hours after that drop-dead date did they change their mind and magically determine it wasn't going to happen.

Oof, was just looking at Egypt “Rates & Dates” on the ABD site… used to have July 6 as the first departure. Now the first one isn’t until December 2021. Incidentally, those December departures used to be waitlist only and it doesn’t look like they are anymore.

I wonder why so many departures are gone now. Pessimism about a change away from Level 4 “do not travel”?

Edit to add: It seems the Feb 2022 departure I'm booked on is also gone, with the first 2022 departure listed as March. Yikes. We have not been contacted yet, I'm tempted to call and find out what's up...

Oof, was just looking at Egypt “Rates & Dates” on the ABD site… used to have July 6 as the first departure. Now the first one isn’t until December 2021. Incidentally, those December departures used to be waitlist only and it doesn’t look like they are anymore.

I wonder why so many departures are gone now. Pessimism about a change away from Level 4 “do not travel”?

Edit to add: It seems the Feb 2022 departure I'm booked on is also gone, with the first 2022 departure listed as March. Yikes. We have not been contacted yet, I'm tempted to call and find out what's up...

I went to the ABD website today to check on departure dates for the Rhine River Cruise to see if they were still listing our July 15 departure, and there are no longer any dates showing. I wonder if ABD is in the process of updating dates to reflect additional cancellations. If so, just emphasizes the ridiculousness of ABD forcing us to PIF for this cruise last week.....

I went to the ABD website today to check on departure dates for the Rhine River Cruise to see if they were still listing our July 15 departure, and there are no longer any dates showing. I wonder if ABD is in the process of updating dates to reflect additional cancellations. If so, just emphasizes the ridiculousness of ABD forcing us to PIF for this cruise last week.....

I'm trying to call them right now and getting a busy signal... lol

Update: Got through, on hold while a vacationista checks on our date.

Last edited:
At least as of today, the Feb 15, 2022 departure to Egypt is still going per the vacationista and whatever manager she just checked with. They were unsure why the website showed that departure was no longer available. I'll update if I get another call/email later saying otherwise.

Wonder what's up with the website this morning, sounds like it's impacting other destinations as well, and ABD didn't seem to know why it had changed.

Incidentally, those December departures used to be waitlist only and it doesn’t look like they are anymore.
I’ve noticed this also on other summer adventures, ie Alaska, Montana and Wyoming waitlisted departures suddenly all showing availability. This morning, all 2021 and 2022 Alaska departures are gone; Wyoming & Montana each only show one 2021 departure.

I’ve noticed this also on other summer adventures, ie Alaska, Montana and Wyoming waitlisted departures suddenly all showing availability. This morning, all 2021 and 2022 Alaska departures are gone; Wyoming & Montana each only show one 2021 departure.

I'm seeing the Egypt departures are back (minus the July 6th 2021 departure), but those December 2021 trips that were waitlists still show availability now. I'm wondering if this is truly just a glitch with the site, which obviously was successful in freaking me out enough to call them... :)

I'm seeing the Egypt departures are back (minus the July 6th 2021 departure), but those December 2021 trips that were waitlists still show availability now. I'm wondering if this is truly just a glitch with the site, which obviously was successful in freaking me out enough to call them... :)
It is all strange…the US AbD departures are also back on the site.

I had the oddest experience with ABD this week. I called on Monday to enquire about an August Alaska departure (on the fence due to the itinerary modifications) and was told they had 2 spots left, so they put those spots on hold for me and DS13 and waitlisted DH (we would do a single for him so we can get 2 rooms). Yesterday, I got a call from ABD saying the waitlist didn't go through and I had to either put us all on the waitlist at this point or confirm the 2 spots (my hold expires May 21 at 11:59 pm). I called back and a different vacationista told me that it wasn't a problem to just keep our hold on the two spots until the Friday expiration and keep my DH on the waitlist to see if anything opened up. This morning, after the website glitch (not sure if it's related), I got a confirmation for DH for the trip so, apparently, he's off the waitlist. I'm just not sure why I got the original phone call yesterday trying to pressure me into committing to the two spots or putting everyone on the waitlist when my hold hadn't expired yet. It kind of left a bad taste in my mouth, but I'm trying to chalk it up to the fact that this summer is in such flux at this point with CDC guidance changing so quickly and now the EU, it seems, opening up to vaccinated tourists. I imagine it's a bit difficult trying to run a travel business right now when things are changing so rapidly? I'm just wondering if any of these itinerary modifications will revert back to the published activities. There are no covid protocols preventing river rafting that I can think of at this point.

I had the oddest experience with ABD this week. I called on Monday to enquire about an August Alaska departure (on the fence due to the itinerary modifications) and was told they had 2 spots left, so they put those spots on hold for me and DS13 and waitlisted DH (we would do a single for him so we can get 2 rooms). Yesterday, I got a call from ABD saying the waitlist didn't go through and I had to either put us all on the waitlist at this point or confirm the 2 spots (my hold expires May 21 at 11:59 pm). I called back and a different vacationista told me that it wasn't a problem to just keep our hold on the two spots until the Friday expiration and keep my DH on the waitlist to see if anything opened up. This morning, after the website glitch (not sure if it's related), I got a confirmation for DH for the trip so, apparently, he's off the waitlist. I'm just not sure why I got the original phone call yesterday trying to pressure me into committing to the two spots or putting everyone on the waitlist when my hold hadn't expired yet. It kind of left a bad taste in my mouth, but I'm trying to chalk it up to the fact that this summer is in such flux at this point with CDC guidance changing so quickly and now the EU, it seems, opening up to vaccinated tourists. I imagine it's a bit difficult trying to run a travel business right now when things are changing so rapidly? I'm just wondering if any of these itinerary modifications will revert back to the published activities. There are no covid protocols preventing river rafting that I can think of at this point.
I do just want to remind folks that this *is* Disney's IT department we're talking about here. They do NOT have the best reputation for quality work. As an IT professional, I would assume they had some sort of mass policy update yesterday, and it was not as smooth of an update as they would have hoped for. If everything looks OK by tomorrow, then I'd just chalk it up to an IT glitch. It wouldn't hurt to check with a Vacationista and make *sure* your reservations/waitlists/whatever look good after today.

Sayhello

Last edited:
I do just want to remind folks that this *is* Disney's IT department we're talking about. They do NOT have the best reputation for quality work. As an IT professional, I would assume they had some sort of mass policy update yesterday, and it was not as smooth of an update as they would have hoped for. If everything looks OK by tomorrow, then I'd just chalk it up to an IT glitch. It wouldn't hurt to check with a Vacationista and make *sure* your reservations/waitlists/whatever look good after today.

Sayhello

LOL! You are so right! Yes, I'm trying to chalk it up to, not only a glitch, but everyone in the travel industry trying to get their bearings with the new CDC guidance and what that may mean for increasing guest capacities, changing activities, etc. You always have great insight Sayhello - thank you!

At least as of today, the Feb 15, 2022 departure to Egypt is still going per the vacationista and whatever manager she just checked with. They were unsure why the website showed that departure was no longer available. I'll update if I get another call/email later saying otherwise.

Wonder what's up with the website this morning, sounds like it's impacting other destinations as well, and ABD didn't seem to know why it had changed.
Thanks for the information regarding our Feb 2022 Egypt ABD. Glad to hear it is still a go for now. Did you happen to find out how many people are on our trip? Just curious...

Thanks for the information regarding our Feb 2022 Egypt ABD. Glad to hear it is still a go for now. Did you happen to find out how many people are on our trip? Just curious...

I forgot to ask them, and didn't think about it until I was already at work for the day. Kicking myself for forgetting! Might call back later this week and see if I can find out if I get time.

I forgot to ask them, and didn't think about it until I was already at work for the day. Kicking myself for forgetting! Might call back later this week and see if I can find out if I get time.
No worries. I may call too if hold times aren’t too bad. I’ll let you know.

Just got the official word that our July 15 Rhine River cruise has been cancelled and we are entitled to a full refund. This is actually a good thing for us given some other things going on that make this a less than ideal year for a trip like this for our family. I was also very concerned that the experience for our first-ever river cruise would be negatively impacted by COVID restrictions (including perhaps cancellation of our Wish excursion), so I am glad we will be able to choose to do this trip (or another river cruise) some time down the road on our own terms. It turned out to be exactly two weeks between our forced PIF and the cancellation, for anyone else keeping track. I was actually starting to think the trip might go, but then was stressing because my daughter has not yet been able to get vaccinated in Scotland and wouldn't have enough time between her return to the states and the start date of the trip to get both doses and have two weeks elapse. All in all, this cancellation is such a relief.

Just got the official word that our July 15 Rhine River cruise has been cancelled and we are entitled to a full refund. This is actually a good thing for us given some other things going on that make this a less than ideal year for a trip like this for our family. I was also very concerned that the experience for our first-ever river cruise would be negatively impacted by COVID restrictions (including perhaps cancellation of our Wish excursion), so I am glad we will be able to choose to do this trip (or another river cruise) some time down the road on our own terms. It turned out to be exactly two weeks between our forced PIF and the cancellation, for anyone else keeping track. I was actually starting to think the trip might go, but then was stressing because my daughter has not yet been able to get vaccinated in Scotland and wouldn't have enough time between her return to the states and the start date of the trip to get both doses and have two weeks elapse. All in all, this cancellation is such a relief.
I am so angered by this. I can't believe this is the new ABD business model to make their customers PIF to get a deposit two weeks later or force them to move their deposit so they can hold the money. Are you telling me that ABD didn't know two weeks ago that this trip wasn't going to go and then suddenly made that decision? That is BS. ABD should not be requiring anyone to PIF when they aren't ready to guarantee that a trip is going to go. They should push back PIF dates until they make that decision. I am furious on your behalf, and have to wonder what kind of solvency ABD has if they are that dependent on holding deposits. Our RC is set for October and I have an extremely bad taste in my mouth about this whole thing. Once you get your money back in hand, I would seriously consider writing them a letter and sending it to some of the blogs.

I am so angered by this. I can't believe this is the new ABD business model to make their customers PIF to get a deposit two weeks later or force them to move their deposit so they can hold the money. Are you telling me that ABD didn't know two weeks ago that this trip wasn't going to go and then suddenly made that decision? That is BS. ABD should not be requiring anyone to PIF when they aren't ready to guarantee that a trip is going to go. They should push back PIF dates until they make that decision. I am furious on your behalf, and have to wonder what kind of solvency ABD has if they are that dependent on holding deposits. Our RC is set for October and I have an extremely bad taste in my mouth about this whole thing. Once you get your money back in hand, I would seriously consider writing them a letter and sending it to some of the blogs.

Agree that I found the whole process infuriating. And I'm sure the refund will take long enough that I will end up having to pay the huge credit card bill that has our PIF on it, and then will end up with a huge credit on the same credit card once the refund comes in (versus the timing working out so the charge and refund net on the same statement) and will have to request a funds transfer from Chase. Such a hassle, when I think as you do that ABD almost certainly knew two weeks ago that this trip wouldn't happen. So glad I never booked air for this trip. I had one hotel to cancel, but that was booked with Hilton points and took about 30 seconds to cancel and get my points back. I think it is highly unlikely that we will ever book another trip with ABD....

Last edited:
Agree that I found the whole process infuriating. And I'm sure the refund will take long enough that I will end up having to pay the huge credit card bill that has our PIF on it, and then will end up with a huge credit on the same credit card once the refund comes in (versus the timing working out so the charge and refund net on the same statement) and will have to request a funds transfer from Chase. Such a hassle, when I think as you do that ABD almost certainly knew two weeks ago that this trip wouldn't happen. So glad I never booked air for this trip. I had one hotel to cancel, but that was booked with Hilton points and took about 30 second to cancel and get my points back. I think it is highly unlikely that we will ever book another trip with ABD....
Agree with all of this very much! We had to play chicken with Disney last year because they insisted our trips to China and Southeast Asia were a go. Infuriating. We used our one move and now we’re back in the same situation.

If Disney would just cancel before the PIF date it would be so much easier for everyone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter