??? about adding on with smaller pts why is that so great?

edk35

DIS Veteran
Okay I keep reading how people are adding on points fro AKV.....some people are adding 100 or more but I have read a few people adding fewer points...I think i even read a 25 add on. So...if you add say 50 pts.....that only gives you those 50 pts. to use at the 11 month window right. So you might get 2 nights.....???? I am confused about add ons. Just curious...we are new to all this DVC stuff.

With banking and borrowing you could get 3 years worth of points for one reservation. While 25 points aren't a lot, (even if you use all 75 pts. at once during value season), you still are able to take advantage of the 11 month window during peak times. It will be interesting to see how popular AKV is when it finally opens, and how difficult to book it without the window.

Some people also do a small add-on (becuase they can get by with just a few points for every other year visits) sell their main contract, and remain DVC members eligible for the AP discounts, etc.

Okay I keep reading how people are adding on points fro AKV.....some people are adding 100 or more but I have read a few people adding fewer points...I think i even read a 25 add on. So...if you add say 50 pts.....that only gives you those 50 pts. to use at the 11 month window right. So you might get 2 nights.....???? I am confused about add ons. Just curious...we are new to all this DVC stuff.

You are correct that the points for each resort fall under the 11/7 month booking rules. However, through banking and borrowing, a person could use those 50 points in 150 point increments every 3 years. So if they had say, 50 points at OKW, 50 points at AKV & 50 points at SSR, they could take a 150 point vacation at a WDW resort every year at a different resort. One year vacation at OKW using 3 years worth of OKW points, then the next year at AKV, using 3 years of AKV points, and then the third year vacation at SSR using 3 years worth of SSR points, then start over.

You are correct that the points for each resort fall under the 11/7 monh booking rules. However, through banking and borrowing, a person could use those 50 points in 150 point increments every 3 years. So if they had say, 50 points at OKW, 50 points at AKV & 50 points at SSR, they could take a 150 point vacation at a WDW resort every year at a different resort. One yer vacation at OKW using 3 years worth of OKW points, then the next year at AKV, using 3 years of AKV points, and then the third year vacation at SSR using 5 years worth of SSR points, then start over.

WOW that is really good. See I am so new to this....I just hang out and read on here and SUCK IT ALL IN. LOL Thanks

You are correct that the points for each resort fall under the 11/7 monh booking rules. However, through banking and borrowing, a person could use those 50 points in 150 point increments every 3 years. So if they had say, 50 points at OKW, 50 points at AKV & 50 points at SSR, they could take a 150 point vacation at a WDW resort every year at a different resort. One yer vacation at OKW using 3 years worth of OKW points, then the next year at AKV, using 3 years of AKV points, and then the third year vacation at SSR using 5 years worth of SSR points, then start over.

Yes... this is all possible.
And if you need 60 pts, which do you borrow from? more than 150 pts...then what?? :confused:
Every 3 years??? :sad2:
IMHO....its a multiple contract/point "managing nightmare !! :scared:
Unlike a financial portfolio..having "all your eggs in 1 basket" works for me. :thumbsup2
1 time ressie making with "full power" utilizing ALL pts., all pts. available @ 7/11 mo., manage 1 contract. :goodvibes
AKV, SSR, OKW are/will be "large" resorts and I dont forsee a 7th mo. problem getting ressies. I've also gotten VWL @ the 5th mo. for a May/Oct stay.
If its ever a problem...OK force me to stay @ my "home" !! :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

And if you need 60 pts, which do you borrow from? more than 150 pts...then what?? :confused:
Unlike a financial portfolio..having "all your eggs in 1 basket" works for me. :thumbsup2
1 time ressie making with "full power" utilizing ALL pts., all pts. available @ 7/11 mo., manage 1 contract. :goodvibes
AKV, SSR, OKW are/will be "large" resorts and I dont forsee a 7th mo. problem getting ressies. I've also gotten VWL @ the 5th mo. for a May/Oct stay.

:rotfl: :rotfl: I feel that way too....I would be so confused as to what points I have to bank or borrow on which contract and all too. That is why we just got 300 pts. at SSR. I guess this works for a lot of people though. As soon as I read that reply...I could understand why people do it that way. I just feel that we will probably always get to visit the other resorts for vacations or part of our vacations. Our up and coming trip we are staying part of our time at BWV and then our home resort of SSR. I was even able to get into BCV when I made this ressie too...and I made this at 6 month window.

Oh, I agree 1 resort would certainly be much easier to manage. All of my points are at OKW with the same use year. But the question was why some people have multiple resorts. And for those people, the "every three year" scenario seems to work well, and they are, apparently, quite happy with it.

Oh, I agree 1 resort would certainly be much easier to manage. All of my points are at OKW with the same use year. But the question was why some people have multiple resorts. And for those people, the "every three year" scenario seems to work well, and they are, apparently, quite happy with it.

:thumbsup2 Yep makes sense for some. I just didn't understand it until you explained then it made perfect sense. Like I said...we are new to this and we are fine with staying at SSR and if we can occasionally try the other resorts then that is just a bonus. .:goodvibes

For us... we have one 200 pt BWV contract. Right now we're wishing we had two 100 BWV contracts so we could sell one and buy some AKV. You can't break up a contract... you have to sell the whole thing.

For us... we have one 200 pt BWV contract. Right now we're wishing we had two 100 BWV contracts so we could sell one and buy some AKV. You can't break up a contract... you have to sell the whole thing.

We have the three contracts but we didn't even think about selling down the road....but I suppose that is a good idea for some too. :thumbsup2 We got three contracts because we have three kids and we want them each to have these contracts one day. So we will probably just add on points to them

OK :goodvibes

I believe I read elsewhere that people will split their bookings for a trip - some days at one resort, some days at the other, getting the 11-month window on both - and when the 7-month window arrives, ask to transfer the full trip to one or the other if available. Is this true?

Otherwise, taking some time to transfer from one resort to the other is always possible (although a bit of a hassle).

I'm looking at getting SSR now, and add-on later (perhaps at CR assuming it happens), and just wanted to know the mechanics of points at other resorts.

I believe I read elsewhere that people will split their bookings for a trip - some days at one resort, some days at the other, getting the 11-month window on both - and when the 7-month window arrives, ask to transfer the full trip to one or the other if available. Is this true?

Otherwise, taking some time to transfer from one resort to the other is always possible (although a bit of a hassle).

I'm looking at getting SSR now, and add-on later (perhaps at CR assuming it happens), and just wanted to know the mechanics of points at other resorts.

Yes, you can book part of your trip at different resorts during the 11 month window. However, at 7 months there is no guaratee that you could switch to all one resort. The room availability may not be there.

Well, that's why we did a little homework before deciding the number of points to buy an add-on. By knowing what we are likely to want to use, we took that figure and divided by 3, and that's how many points we purchased at teh new resort.

Yes, you can book part of your trip at different resorts during the 11 month window. However, at 7 months there is no guaratee that you could switch to all one resort. The room availability may not be there.

That's why I said "if available" :)

I should be talking to my guide very shortly...he just called to let me know he was finishing another call, and would call me back...

Did you edit your post? I got an e-mail about your reply, with very different text. :)

There are a lot of different habits out there. We wanted VWL for XMAS at 11 months and BCV for Spring Break at 11 months.

It's been extremely effortless to keep track of that. We often use the extra points from either contract for BWV summer stays (under 7 months).

As for AKV-I could easliy see some members (obviously only members that dont mind moving mid trip) who only want to stay a couple nights there and then move to a different location to be near a park for the rest of the week.

That's why I said "if available" :)

Did you edit your post? I got an e-mail about your reply, with very different text. :)

Yes, after I typed the first reply, I realized that I had misread your post, and my reply really didn't apply to what you were asking. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter