Active retirement communities near Disney...

You've probably already done this, but just in case... have you googled "55+ communities in Florida", get the results, then limit to "maps", zoom to an area and click "search this area"?

I came up with this:
View attachment 495036
While this is a good start, I actually live in the area, and I can tell you there are several 55+communities not on this map.

They are building a new 55+ community on hartzog road, which is less than 5mins to disney. It is right by the Flamingo crossing CP housing complex. There are a lot of apartments and what looks like another resort going up there. I'm not sure of the timeline but they just started landing clearing a couple months before all this covid stuff started.

Just an opinion and mine of course, but the last thing I want to do as I grow old is be around a bunch of old people. And I can say that because I am already 60. As much as I love Disney and as much as we go, I have waaaay to many other things going on than to "retire" to WDW.
I don’t think that was part of the question.

I don’t think that was part of the question.

You are correct! It was not. But if only direct answers to the precise question asked are allowed here then you might as well shut the Board down. Seldom if ever have I seen a thread go that way. Oh and I apologize because this is not answering a part of the question either but rather answering your comment which I guess technically was not answering the question so you basically did what you are calling me out for doing so does that mean we should both just stop it and only reply if we are answering the question and if that is the case then should other people saying they are interested in the topic but not answering the question also wrong?

See now here it is late on a Friday night and I am gonna be unable to go to sleep now because I am gonna lay there thinking about this all night..........

Man I never should have even said anything.

By the way this is a joke. haha. Kinda of like my first post........ not wanting to be around old people when I get old......evn though I am already kinda old........ 60? ..........61 this year? I suppose my attempt at humor failed.

Just an opinion and mine of course, but the last thing I want to do as I grow old is be around a bunch of old people. And I can say that because I am already 60. As much as I love Disney and as much as we go, I have waaaay to many other things going on than to "retire" to WDW.
I used to think this way too - until I grew tired of toddlers screaming at the top of their lungs outside my window during rare cool winter days when I was hoping for a little fresh air...or in early evening hours every summer as I tried to enjoy dinner. Loud motorcycles with questionable legal mufflers constantly racing through. Drills, saws and landscaping blowers fired up by eager DIY'ers on saturday and sunday mornings at 7am.

I could solve it with a 10-15k investment in new windows that would soundproof better, but can't afford that right now.

I like the idea - in theory - of all ages living together vs just seniors, but I also like a little quiet time to recharge and enjoy my home. Around here, it's only after 9-10 at night. Families are just too loud for me.

Oh in my retirement I don't plan on being around the screaming and yelling of city life. I will be on my farm in the country and all I plan on hearing is a distant train, coyotes at night, and the longhorn cows when they get fussy.

They are building a new 55+ community on hartzog road, which is less than 5mins to disney. It is right by the Flamingo crossing CP housing complex. There are a lot of apartments and what looks like another resort going up there. I'm not sure of the timeline but they just started landing clearing a couple months before all this covid stuff started.

We looked at where the new Del Webb off Hartzog Road will be built. It's REALLY a tourist center. Flamingo Crossing is huge. I can't imagine the traffic coming in and out.

Del Webb Davenport felt too "boondocks" for our liking. Four Seasons gave you less amenities for a higher price.

We decided on Del Webb Bexley - located in Land O' Lakes. 1 1/2 hours from Disney, 1/2 hr from downtown Tampa and 1/2 hr from Clearwater Beach. Since daughter lives in Windermere, we have a place to stay for Disney and she'll have a place to stay for the beach. :-)

LOL, that's why we like Del Webb Davenport. We moved from rural Louisiana so this area feels a little like home. :D
We're from NY/NJ-Tri State Area - I'm too much of a "city girl" to end up in the middle of Davenport! :rolleyes: At least Tampa is only 1/2 hr away with theatre, restaurants, museums..... lol

Things are changing for me. I'll be 65 in 2021 but I wasn't even considering slowing down or retiring for another 8 to 10 years after that. I love what I do for a living and while I am ageing out of some gigs (handheld camera operator) I can keep going for a long time in others.

However...

Live entertainment is one profession that will take a long time to recover. I may be forced into a retirement I do not want.

So...

Retiring to the Central Florida area has always had an appeal to me. I love going to The World. I never paid attention to this thread until now. Who knows, am I right?

Wish this thread had more info about the pros and cons of the many active communities near WDW. I've looked into The Villages, and everything about it appeals to me EXCEPT being 1.25 hours from WDW.

What are some other active adult communities, near WDW, with all the amenities?

For those living in central FL and love WDW, how far is too far = What length drive deters you from heading to WDW for the day? How close is too close = Is traffic around WDW a deterrent from living too close?

Thanks to all for suggesting various 55+ near WDW. The only one we've visited is The Villages, which we found to be an easy drive to Disney, but yes more than a half hour. We live in NH, so we have to drive EVERYWHERE. We liked the Villages, took a tour, went in a couple model homes and drove around. It is huge but there are lots of homes for sale in our "cash" price range!

You've all given me quite a few options to view online now and check out next fall when we stay at DVC for two weeks! Thank you!

:drive:

I've been living in Solivita for the past 10 years. On a good day I can be in the Epcot parking lot in 35 minutes as I know all the back ways now. Usually it's about 45.

I cant remember the name of the place but as a resident you get a ap and it has its own shuttle to and from the parks

I've been living in Solivita for the past 10 years. On a good day I can be in the Epcot parking lot in 35 minutes as I know all the back ways now. Usually it's about 45.
When my parents moved to Solivita (2002), it used to take an hour+ to get to the parks. You could only use two lane Poinciana Parkway(?). We did one vacation where we stayed at their house and went to the parks every day. Never again. :P

It has gotten better, but our kids have "aged out" of Disney. We'll do a VRBO if we go for an extended stay.

My mom and step-dad looked into the Villages....they liked it well enough, but the reputation it has was a bit of a turn off for them.

Oh in my retirement I don't plan on being around the screaming and yelling of city life. I will be on my farm in the country and all I plan on hearing is a distant train, coyotes at night, and the longhorn cows when they get fussy.
PREACH!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter