Addonitis Math

$465 seems rich for the Disneyland hotel (or villas), I understand objectively it’s not, but it’s more than I want to pay until a theme park gets built up next to it. $600/night for VGC *feels* like a better value.
Update: I've made my first offer (which I'm sure many would describe as "lowball") on a VGC resale contract. Having looked through an aggregator, it looks like the issue is that the small contracts are moving swiftly in the mid-high $200s and the big contracts are languishing because $250/pt turns into a very large number once you mulitiply it by 150.

I really love VGC, but because we don't usually book DLR trips far in advance, it's hard to justify paying (much) more for VGC resale than VDH direct (especially since direct gives you 90 day free financing and a few % back on your credit card in points). I guess I need to figure out what VDH direct goes for at the 75-100 point range.

Update: I've made my first offer (which I'm sure many would describe as "lowball") on a VGC resale contract. Having looked through an aggregator, it looks like the issue is that the small contracts are moving swiftly in the mid-high $200s and the big contracts are languishing because $250/pt turns into a very large number once you mulitiply it by 150.

I really love VGC, but because we don't usually book DLR trips far in advance, it's hard to justify paying (much) more for VGC resale than VDH direct (especially since direct gives you 90 day free financing and a few % back on your credit card in points). I guess I need to figure out what VDH direct goes for at the 75-100 point range.
You could also buy some AUL resale and then just segregate your AUL direct for VDH usage….

Not that we don’t want you in team VGC…. because we all know it’s where the cool kids hang out!

You could also buy some AUL resale and then just segregate your AUL direct for VDH usage….

Not that we don’t want you in team VGC…. because we all know it’s where the cool kids hang out!
That is a very interesting idea. I also own a VGF resale contract I don't strictly need so after transaction costs, it would probably make more sense to just keep the VGF resale contract and use my VGF direct points for a few nights a year at VDH/VGC (which is actually what I've already been doing with my 2023 VGF points, now that I think about it...)

I just looked at VDH current pricing and incentives and it appears it would run about $220 direct, to which I said "that's gonna be a no from me, dawg."

That is a very interesting idea. I also own a VGF resale contract I don't strictly need so after transaction costs, it would probably make more sense to just keep the VGF resale contract and use my VGF direct points for a few nights a year at VDH/VGC (which is actually what I've already been doing with my 2023 VGF points, now that I think about it...)

I just looked at VDH current pricing and incentives and it appears it would run about $220 direct, to which I said "that's gonna be a no from me, dawg."
I think that’s a very strategic way to use the VGF points and it doesn’t require any more money out of pocket to buy new points or commissions to sell a contract.

I genuinely feel like I am getting away with something when I use my direct AUL @ VDH or resale AUL @ VGC!

I think that’s a very strategic way to use the VGF points and it doesn’t require any more money out of pocket to buy new points or commissions to sell a contract.

I genuinely feel like I am getting away with something when I use my direct AUL @ VDH or resale AUL @ VGC!
I am going to do that in the next few months and also feel like I'm running a scam. I know it's a very unpopular opinion around here, but I think there's a good chance that AUL will hold its value better than many of the park-adjacent resorts (eventually)-- the annual cost (points plus dues) is not only a good value compared to booking cash rates at AUL but also compared to almost every other 4* or better resort in Hawaii... even starting to look good compared to some 3*.

I am going to do that in the next few months and also feel like I'm running a scam. I know it's a very unpopular opinion around here, but I think there's a good chance that AUL will hold its value better than many of the park-adjacent resorts (eventually)-- the annual cost (points plus dues) is not only a good value compared to booking cash rates at AUL but also compared to almost every other 4* or better resort in Hawaii... even starting to look good compared to some 3*.
💯

April incentives: Can someone explain the addonitis math to me a hypothetical Riviera 150 point purchase split into 2x75 in Aug UY...?
And including Welcome Home and Magical Beginnings in the math ?
😁
I have not looked at it closely because we’ve never considered buying RIV… I do know that the cost of splitting contracts is only several hundred and maybe less if you forgo title insurance?

But just to contribute to the addonitis theme: have you considered trying to get a fixed week at a low point chart time? Even if you never use it, I think it will help with resale value to have a fixed week locked in.

April incentives: Can someone explain the addonitis math to me a hypothetical Riviera 150 point purchase split into 2x75 in Aug UY...?
And including Welcome Home and Magical Beginnings in the math ?
😁
I'm coming up with about 185/pt for existing members assuming closing costs are $1000.

Last edited:
::Sings like Josh Gad as Olaf acting out Lion King in the Olaf’s shorts:: It’s the CIRCLE of points!

So do we think there is somebody out there using their VGC points at SSR to even this all out? 🤣
Actually, this summer, we are using our SSR points as well as our PVB and VGF points for a SSR grand villa, and are really looking forward to it.

I personally think SSR is extremely underrated by the DVC community, especially since the refurb. In fact, I think that most people's issues with it are mostly due to transportation (which I get), but if you drive to WDW more often than not, SSR is fantastic.

And... yes... there is the added bonus that Gideon's is within walking distance... :)

Actually, this summer, we are using our SSR points as well as our PVB and VGF points for a SSR grand villa, and are really looking forward to it.

I personally think SSR is extremely underrated by the DVC community, especially since the refurb. In fact, I think that most people's issues with it are mostly due to transportation (which I get), but if you drive to WDW more often than not, SSR is fantastic.

And... yes... there is the added bonus that Gideon's is within walking distance... :)
We have never stayed there but I really want to try out the treehouses at some point (not sure if they make more sense based on cash or points) with friends for a less park intensive trip. We fly from California and tend to visit WDW in 3-4 day spurts, so for us being right on top of the theme parks is really helpful.

I also want to use points to stay at the CFW cabins for a few days of not-at-all parks (or Disney) related glamping.

I have not looked at it closely because we’ve never considered buying RIV… I do know that the cost of splitting contracts is only several hundred and maybe less if you forgo title insurance?
Yes, we did that when we bought our first 2 RIV contracts. On a $ per points per year basis RIV was actually a little less than VGF during the fire sale last summer, and we ended up picking more VGF (already owned at both) because we wanted 2br or even GV at VGF because VGF slightly edged out Riviera as our favorite resort. But second-guessing, of course, wondering how hard it will be to book the larger units there. #neverresortstudios

And my last trip was at Riviera and I fell in love with it, again. June is VGF, I'm sure I will decide that VGF is my favorite again...

But just to contribute to the addonitis theme: have you considered trying to get a fixed week at a low point chart time? Even if you never use it, I think it will help with resale value to have a fixed week locked in.
Lately (since 2019, when we went more all in DVC) we decided to split our contracts both for resale ability and also in case we want to leave to our kids, who both decidedly love Disney. This way they don't have to get the other's consent if they decide to sell later on down the line.

I'm coming up with about 185/pt for existing members assuming closing costs are $1000.
Wahhhh. We've never paid more than 165-166 per point so there is a big psychological hurdle in going over that now. #firstworldproblems

We have never stayed there but I really want to try out the treehouses at some point (not sure if they make more sense based on cash or points) with friends for a less park intensive trip. We fly from California and tend to visit WDW in 3-4 day spurts, so for us being right on top of the theme parks is really helpful.

I also want to use points to stay at the CFW cabins for a few days of not-at-all parks (or Disney) related glamping.
I had a rental car on my last weekend trip with a friend and we really barely used it. I do feel like SSR and CFW would be more appealing and easier if we had a car and drove to/from the parks. We have only been out of strollers/car seats land for a few years, and my kids are still all about the parks rather than DS so we haven't tried those yet. But we are definitely treehouse-curious and cabins-curious.

We always drive and have points @ SSR (as well as BCV) and love it there.

SSR is seriously underrated. I have no problem with staying there. Honestly, we would have bought points there (my original DVC bid was for SSR points but we got ROFRed) but since it's easy to book, we just wind up using our other resale points to stay there. I love the SSR pools.

SSR is seriously underrated. I have no problem with staying there. Honestly, we would have bought points there (my original DVC bid was for SSR points but we got ROFRed) but since it's easy to book, we just wind up using our other resale points to stay there. I love the SSR pools.
That's good to hear! Just finalizing a SSR purchase mainly considered for SAPs. Looking forward to checking it out sometime!

Cosmic Rewind is probably my favorite ride, anywhere. It's fantastic.

I didn't make it on this last time. My husband said it was great. But I was worried it could make me feel sick. Kind of want to try it next time though.

How did things go with that VGC offer??

::Sings like Josh Gad as Olaf acting out Lion King in the Olaf’s shorts:: It’s the CIRCLE of points!

So do we think there is somebody out there using their VGC points at SSR to even this all out? 🤣

We would have used our VGC points at SSR this past January if we hadn't gotten into BRV instead. 😁

I didn't make it on this last time. My husband said it was great. But I was worried it could make me feel sick. Kind of want to try it next time though.
My partner gets motion sickness on many screen based or spinning rides (and guardians has both elements), so he got a prescription motion sickness patch from his doctor to wear behind his ear - he wore them during our last trip and no motion sicknesses on Guardians or any of the rides he went on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter