Admin Please Close Thread.

Just about everywhere I go I inside joke with my husband about a break on sales taxes lol and I mean this in a serious way because we're used to high amounts here. Disney at 6.5% is just what our state sales tax is for example nevermind the city, county and potentially CID or TIF.

On the other hand every time we go to Vegas we know the drinks (and generally speaking food too) will be more expensive than our home area. Although geez even beer pricing is starting to get up there. Went to Granite City this past weekend (talking about our home area now) and some of their beers were $9 which is high compared to what you'd normally see and that was like for a icky IPA (no offense to the IPA drinkers lol)
Greetings from Long Beach, the City with the highest sales tax in the nation, checking in at 10.25%. We regularly go "south of the border" into Orange County to pay 8%, especially on large items. We call it the "2% discount" - because it is.

Sending DD to Oregon to go to school next year where there is no sales tax. It's always a trip when you get the receipt up there and there isn't even a line for it at the bottom.

North Carolinians and probably other southerners will appreciate this new combination...
View attachment 751105
For those not in the know:
Cheerwine is a cherry-flavored soft drink by Carolina Beverage Corporation of Salisbury, North Carolina. It has been produced since 1917, claiming to be "the oldest continuing soft drink company still operated by the same family
Not to be outdone . .

1680625905438.jpeg

North Carolinians and probably other southerners will appreciate this new combination...
View attachment 751105
For those not in the know:
Cheerwine is a cherry-flavored soft drink by Carolina Beverage Corporation of Salisbury, North Carolina. It has been produced since 1917, claiming to be "the oldest continuing soft drink company still operated by the same family
Lived in Georgia 2/3 of my life and never heard of Cheerwine until I went to an event in NC.

Was introduced to Big Red in Louisville ~ does it have an alcoholic version?

Oh my ...... what I'd really love and we'll never ever ever see it is CFA Hard Sweet Tea. Adding a boost to the nectar of the gods ......... 💋

Greetings from Long Beach, the City with the highest sales tax in the nation, checking in at 10.25%. We regularly go "south of the border" into Orange County to pay 8%, especially on large items. We call it the "2% discount" - because it is.

Sending DD to Oregon to go to school next year where there is no sales tax. It's always a trip when you get the receipt up there and there isn't even a line for it at the bottom.
We got you beat here. It can be over 11% depending on the area. Actually there's a city in my state that is 11.5% due to special tax assessments. But I totally understand what you're meaning vacationing elsewhere must be a dream for you too!

So my direct area is 9.475% say at Walmart, cross the street to go to Price Chopper grocery store and because that is in a special tax district it's 10.475%.

State-wide we just got a phased reduction on sales tax on groceries (will eventually be 0% but only for state so you still have to pay the other parts of the tax) but there's a lot of exclusions like a frozen dinner doesn't count because it's pre-made, rotisserie chicken under warmers doesn't count because it's warm food.

When I was in college I worked at the University's bookstore but mostly at the hotel branch a 5 min walk from the Union. That hotel was 1% higher sales tax (special district) anyways we actually used to get people from LA shocked like none other about the sales tax. They never thought some midwestern area would be at or higher sales tax than them. And this was back in 2009-2010.

I'm sure it will pass but on the ballot for renewal for my city's portion is a 0.375% and 0.125% sales tax that if passed would continue for 10 years where it will be up for another renewal. It's been used to pay for road projects and because we value good roads here I'm sure it will continue.

I bring my own beer and wine on Disney cruises. I like craft beer so that saves some money. You can bring it on at every port. Our last cruise stopped in Belgium so that was a win for me. I remember when drinks on the ship were 7-8 dollars so I feel like it's expensive. I can't compare it to restaurants around here because we rarely go out at home.

We're cruising on Royal next time. I got the drink package. It was ridiculously expensive, but I have a feeling with the price of drinks I won't have to drink much to break even.

We were about 4.59 for gas the last time I filled up. It might be more now.

We thought about bringing our own as well! But DH wanted variety so he bought the mug package instead. It was only a 4-day cruise so it wasn't too bad, but if it was one week I would bring a bottle of wine and he would bring his beer to off-set a little.

Oooo which Royal ship are you going on? We love Royal!😍 We actually got married on the Allure!
Royal drinks are expensive!! But we still can't drink enough to make the drink package worth it, and that would be even more expensive! LOL! Also, maybe it's the age thing 😝....but when heat and alcohol are combined, it really doesn't serve me well anymore! (especially in the Caribbean) I had at most 4 drinks in one day on the Disney cruise. One of the days I could feel the headache started coming when we were at the pool....so saaaddddd!! 😭

$4.95?!!? holy 💩💩!!! 😲 I think it was around $4.35 for us....

Agreed! IMO, I think no matter how much money an individual or household makes, their tips/recs on how they afford vacation should be respected, period. Why can't we just learn those things from each other regardless of income? Just because a household makes 200K it doesn't mean they can splurge on their every vacation. We don't know their stories but we can certainly take their tips/advice and see if they work for ourselves? As the old saying that's always true, don't ever judge a book by their cover.
LOL. Those financial shows do "open the book" to let you see beyond the cover and it is mind boggling what people think are necessities and what are discretionary items. Are they extreme examples or made up? I sure hope so, because no matter where you live or how much you make, I have a hard time agreeing with folks who think spending $500 a month, every month, on clothing is a necessary expense.

Oh my goodness I simply cannot keep up. But I DO have something to contribute to the butter discourse and that is that butter keepers are amazing.

Is there some sort of DIS web award for "Best Thread of the Year"? Because I would say this is a front-runner for 2023.

If Everything Everywhere All At Once could premiere at Sundance (one of the earliest festivals on the circuit) and make it all the way to Best Picture, I see no reason why a late March/early April thread cannot be a major contender in the DIS awards.
Which I'm sure are real and also I may have just derailed this even further, oops.

Ooohhh! I love companion tickets! Are they still offering this?
Actually, I would go back to flying on SWA if they didn't remove all the non stop flights from Philly to just about every airport in FL. We used to have several to choose from going to MCO, FLL, TPA, etc. Now, it's a rare thing. Maybe one on Saturdays.
We fly American these days and got their cc for a huge chunk of bonus miles and 1st bag free per person sharing a reservation with me. AF waived for the first year. We tried the Chase Sapphire Preferred several years ago, just for the points but fell in love with how versatile the points are.
We don't fit into the OP's limits for income and we paid off our mortgage during covid, after paying off a ridonculous amount of debt before that, over many years, just by being frugal and paying close attention to where our money goes. I will never go into debt again unless something catastrophic happens. I guess I really have no right to even post here. Darn it. Now my sarcasm will get me reported. Sigh...

There is a promotional companion pass offer going on right now, you just have to register through your Rapid Rewards account, book a cash flight by tomorrow 4/5 and fly before 5/24! Then you'll get a companion pass for mid-August - September.

Its actually great to get this perspective first-hand tbh ... I read an article a few weeks ago discussing people in income brackets above $100K and living paycheck to paycheck ... on the surface, it just wasn't computing for me. But, when i got into the details (much like posters are sharing) - I was like wow - that's pretty sobering to think that a household income above that threshold barely makes ends meet in certain parts of the country. I am sure some will suggest - well just move - but clearly thats not as easy as it sounds (due to family, careers etc ...) Thanks for sharing ....

Speaking from experience ... "lifestyle creep" is SUCH a real thing. You think, oh, I'll just spend a little more here, a little more there, and suddenly you're in the paycheck-to-paycheck cycle again, and it can feel like a Sisyphean task getting out of it. :guilty:

*Controversy Alert* - Agree, IPAs are icky :)

Same. Far too hoppy for me. But I will gladly accept the POG IPA gift out of curiosity.

Also, maybe it's the age thing 😝....but when heat and alcohol are combined, it really doesn't serve me well anymore!
Oh no that's not an age thing, that's a smart thing ::yes::

When at Disney or Universal because we've typically gone in September when it's hot hot hot we do not drink much alcohol because heat and being outside so much with the sun it's just not a good combination.

That said next week you'll catch me sipping on some nice beverages while laying out at the beach but still won't be drinking too much, last thing I want is to feel miserable.

Of course I am in my 30s..that age at which you sleep wrong just 1 night and it's all over. I had a crick in my neck for more than 2 weeks a couple months back..just 1 night is all it took.

Everything goes right in this thread? Just checking...did I mention my 33 year old husband ordered an inversion chair table? He just about maxes out the height on it. I'm actually excited about it as well, It has heaters and massage too. Supposed to be here tomorrow. Something he just found out is his work will pay $300 total (so you can split it up) towards "wellness" things per year and it's apparently a broad amount that it will cover, you pay then submit an expense report. So his work just paid for 30-something year olds to have an inversion table although in truth this is an appropriate usage of the wellness dollars. Anyone have an inversion chair table and want to share experiences??

Last edited:
That sounds amazing!! But you say it's only sold in Hawaii :(
It is SO GOOD! 🤤 And this is coming from a not-so-big beer drinker! Yeah supposedly they are only sold in Hawaii market and their breweries in Maui. If Maui is in your future vacation plan, it's a must visit! 😉

I'll have a destination wedding in Italy that has a cash bar AND kids aren't allowed! (joking btw)
We actually did attend a wedding in Italy a few years back with no kids allowed!! But it was open bar....SO FUN!!!

So I thought we were building a rapport, sharing reasonable points of view, and then you drop that nugget ... :confused3
:tongue::rotfl2:🤭🤭🤭 I am sharing though! LOL!

It is SO GOOD! 🤤 And this is coming from a not-so-big beer drinker! Yeah supposedly they are only sold in Hawaii market and their breweries in Maui. If Maui is in your future vacation plan, it's a must visit! 😉
Coincidentally it was on our plan. We had been looking at going back to Hawaii but Maui or Kauai but settled on Mexico (for a few reasons mostly due to our traveling party) for this trip that is happening next week. But going back to Hawaii is still on our list :) especially since SWA now flies there.

Count me in though if we end up in Maui eventually!

Everything goes right in this thread? Just checking...did I mention my 33 year old husband ordered an inversion chair? He just about maxes out the height on it. I'm actually excited about it as well, It has heaters and massage too. Supposed to be here tomorrow. Something he just found out is his work will pay $300 total (so you can split it up) towards "wellness" things per year and it's apparently a broad amount that it will cover, you pay then submit an expense report. So his work just paid for 30-something year olds to have an inversion table although in truth this is an appropriate usage of the wellness dollars. Anyone have an inversion chair and want to share experiences??
I don't have one but used one at a spa once and it was AMAZING. Did I accidentally nap in it after my massage? Yes yes I did.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter