Advantages of staying offsite?

HunnyPots

DIS Veteran<br><font color=purple>The Tag Fairy is
OK - the boards are full of posts stating the avantages of staying on Disney property. How about the avantages of staying OFFsite? Does anyone actually prefer staying in non-Disney hotels? Why? Is it purely financial or are there other perks?

I've stayed on and off site. Some of the advantages to offsite:
1) Frequently lower rates,
2) Frequently includes some type of breakfast,
3) Can get larger units, with microwaves or even condo style units with Jacuzzis, full kitchens etc. Yes you can get these at DVC for about twice the price.
4) Depending on where you stay you may be just as convenient to some of the Disney parks.
5) More convenient to offsite grocery stores, restaurants and offsite attractions.
6) Easier to get units that sleep more than 4.

I've wondered the same thing and went back and forth between staying on or off site.

I chose off-site (we're staying at the Caribe Royale) because:

1. It was cheaper for the overall value
2. The room itself is bigger for our needs.
3. Breakfast is included, which saves us food money

Mainly #2, followed by #3......

We *were* considering AS Movies which is cheaper per night than the Caribe, but the room seemed so small and only had 2 beds. We're a family of 4, but my DS is 13 and my DD is 12 and both REFUSED to sleep with each other (not that I expected them too) or with either of us, mom and dad!! That kinda hurt, but then again, I remember being that age too LOL

With the Caribe, we get a 1 bedroom suite with 2 beds and a pull out couch. So one kid can sleep in a bed and the other the couch. And since we're also going with friends of ours (hey Dee!!!!) our kids will most likely switch off with each other, so she'll have the boys one night and we'll get the girls, and vice versa.

Of course, while we're there we're planning on touring all the other hotels, not only to check out the Christmas decorations, but to also check the hotels out for future visits *grin*

I tried both in mid May (regular season)

5 nights at Tropical Palms - two bedroom cabin - full kitchen - $79/night
2 nights PO-RS - one hotel room - $89/night (rack rate I think was $149/night)

There is just no comparison - offsite was better. Not better for the $. Just better. If I had to pay MORE to stay offsite the way we did, than stay onsite the way we did - I'd still stay offsite. And we weren't even in classy high end 4 star offsite accoms - which can also be had for considerably less than DR moderate Rack Rate!!!!!

Transportation - A draw. Resort buses got us to MK gates just as quickly but no quicker than driving from offsite/traversing parking lot and monorail. Door to door time was 30 mins either way. All 4 bus rides we took were crowded, yet we never encountered any noticeable offsite traffic.

Room comfort - TP won by far. PO-RS was definitley fancier. Howerver, nicer furniture didn't add to the overall enjoyment of our stay the way a full kitchen, closet space, two bedrooms and deck did.

Cleanliness - A draw. Both places - grounds and rooms - were clean.

Food - TP won. We like the option of eating out, but don't like it to be a necessity. Really missed the coffee maker, toaster, nice table for 4 people, cupboards with dishes and cutlery...ability to just lounge with a light breakie in our pjs before heading out. Same for after parks and simple light suppers...

Crowds at MK and AK - These places were crowded by the time we got to them, and that was within an hour of opening. So, yes EE would be nice - but not worth the $$ or hassle for 90 mins of slow time. Now if they closed the parks to offsite guests until 1pm or so on EE days - then we could talk some $$ for the EE priv. As it stands - no.

Atmosphere - PO-RS has beautiful manicured grounds no question. The waterwheel and other themeing was interesting. But the creativity in no way managed to make us feel like we were in another time/place. I have to admit, at PO we did feel like we were on a DR - but that was because of the constant crowds, hustle and bustle (and I believe this is one of the more laid back resorts?). Not a feature I'd like to pay extra for - in fact, might like to pay extra to avoid it.The grounds at TP were just as nice, but they were more natural and vacation like. Ultimate theming elements were the pond with live aligators, and the abundance of little lizzard things running around for the kids to chase. Now here, we felt like we were in Florida in 2001 - which is exactly where we felt we when at PO-RS. Neither resort made us feel any more or less like we were "at Disney" from any perspective other than the crowded one mentionned.

Overall impression - GREAT MARKETING DISNEY - is all I can say.

Thanks mainey-mouse!!! Now I feel much better about my decision to stay offsite

:)

We've always enjoyed off-site. I particularly like renting a house (which can easily be had for under $100 a night). We like to take a day off between parks for rest and recreation. We find we enjoy our trip much better and don't come back exhausted. The private pool provides a ready source of entertainment (just out the back door). Many houses have a grill (hot dogs and hamburgers are much better poolside!).

and have been going to Disney for years now. We have found that we have a better overall vacation when staying offsite also for the same exact reasons stated before.

Our desire to not reside on property is not an issue of finances either (however saving money in the process doesn't actually hurt either) but it is without a doubt more convenient because we always visit other places like Sea World, Universal, and other attractions besides Disney.

So, we find it really a lot easier to get around to all these places including even Disney from where the hotel is located and also due to having a rental car. Another plus is being right next door to such a large variety of restaurant options as well as many different shopping venues outside the parks.

Also, like was mentioned before we enjoy having a microwave to warm up meals that may have been brought back from restaurants, making hot snacks, and having a refridgerator to keep beverages or other things constantly cold (without having to replenish ice in a cooler several times).

All of these amenities and more included in a suite, rental home, or hotel room that is larger in size and costs less than half of what an average room onsite would cost just can't be beat for us. The entire family gets a chance to definitely spread out while having more personal space to roam around which makes everyone more comfortable especially after touring all day long.

Also, after leaving the hustle and bustle of the park crowds during the day, it is nice to go back to a place that is not as fast-paced or over run with as much activity. We always get back and forth from the parks within 5 minutes of where we are staying so transportation is never a problem.

So, getting an opportunity to visit Disney along with staying in a roomier place with more perks (at less cost and minutes to the maingate) that is also near other places we visit (whether grocery stores, restaurants, and other popular Orlando attractions) is like having the best of both or all worlds.

I have to agree with all deena said....we just like it better. It is not all financial either..though hard to beat those great internet deals when you find you are just as close to the parks as many on site resorts....Nice clean hotels, not all roach ridden or terrible places you would not let your dog stay in..as many post here.

We also like eating breakfast and occassional dinners off site when the parks close early..who wants to pay Disney prices for every meal of the day..just to say you had pancakes in a food court run by Disney...

You can find most discount chain stores in Kissimmee for those things we all seem to forget, at a much cheaper price than at Goodings or the other Crossroads stores which on site guests are often limited to due to transportation..

We are other park visitors too and spend a few days at Universal, so why would we want to pay onsite disney prices when we do not spend all our time in Disney parks...

Oh we love WDW as much as anyone here, we just do not feel the onsite experience is worth the huge amount of money that they charge folks for it..to stay with the magic. Frankly, we have absolutely wonderful trips, without staying on site or feeling we miss any of the magic at all...

Whichever Disney marketing executive came up with the slogan or theory you cannot enjoy disney without staying at their hotels was a marketing genius..and has made them millions. I have many friends who complain about bad conditions in the resorts or being treated badily by rude CMs at the hotels, yet they would not even consider going to disney and staying off site, they would rather not go!!!

Everyone of course is entitled to spend their vacation money where they want..but to me offsite has a lot of advantages over on site.......:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

We stay off site because we feel we get more for our buck. But the MAIN reason we stay off site is because we must have an indoor pool. LOL! We want to make sure we will be able to swim, no matter what the weather.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$saved off site.....lets us go 3 to 4 times a year, eat at nicer restaurants, play golf..... and NO Question in my mind that staying off site is just as efficient as waiting for disney buses.......NO question!.....good luck.........and enjoy.......Ted

First, DW and I agree that Tropical Palms is clean, fun, friendly, efficient, convenient, but cozy. Highly recommend it.

Also stayed at West Gate Villages (had to listen to the time share sales pitch) got a terrific rate, great room, bedroom jacuzzi, fully stocked kitchen, screen patio, etc., many pools, no downside. But must spend 3 hrs on the sales tour. Recommend it.

We also stayed in local motels. Do not recommend. Disgusting.

Someone mentioned renting a home with a pool for under $100.00 per night. We are going in Sept. 2001. Please email us to let us know details. Very interested.

Budget our concern. We Florida vacation from NJ for 3 weeks with 3 children, need to do so economically. Staying on site at this time is cost prohibitive.

Our recommendation is if cost is your concern as well there are many off site deals.

:pinkbounc :pinkbounc :jester: :earseek: :earsboy: :crazy:

Originally posted by ennazus
We stay off site because we feel we get more for our buck. But the MAIN reason we stay off site is because we must have an indoor pool. LOL! We want to make sure we will be able to swim, no matter what the weather.

I'm LOL with you..same here. Where exactly is your indoor pool? We will be at the ES-LBV next.

We usually do the first 2 to 3 days off site, visiting the Florida attractions Universal, IOA, etc... Then we go onsite for Disney. This may be our 1st time just doing off site the whole time. I'm looking forward to it. It's funny everytime we have to transfer to our Disney room hubby and I get alittle sad and start to feel like cattle, initally. Even though we quickly get over that feeling and start to get into the Disney Magic, what I (we) have come to realize is that Orlando has a magic of it's on also. Just ask die hard off siters about Seaworld , Ripleys, Medevil Times, Arabian Nights, Seaworld, Gatorland, the fancy Hotels-the Rosen, the Wyndham Palace, etc...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter