Adventures by Disney - Is it worth the price

I have also been wondering about the cost versus other options. We have never been to Europe and are very much wanting to visit Germany, we are a lesbian couple and wonder how that situation is with other families? We were considering the adult only trip, neither of us have kids nor do we really enjoy spending a lot of time around them (sorry if that sounds bad to people but I don't enjoy undisciplined children).

Thanks for any input

What makes you think our children are undisciplined? If you were trying not to be offensive you certainly chose your words poorly.

I have also been wondering about the cost versus other options. We have never been to Europe and are very much wanting to visit Germany, we are a lesbian couple and wonder how that situation is with other families? We were considering the adult only trip, neither of us have kids nor do we really enjoy spending a lot of time around them (sorry if that sounds bad to people but I don't enjoy undisciplined children).

Thanks for any input

We toured London/Paris with only two children and our almost 19 year old in the group. This year we toured Germany with a group of about 10 children, a few younger teens, and five older teens, including our almost 20 year old daughter. There definitely is a different dynamic. Personally, we enjoyed both trips. But, if you don't enjoy being around children every day, you might be better off on an adult only trip.

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Thanks for any input
Hi Steph- I hope given that you probably know better than most how hard it is to deal with generalizations and stereotypes that you meant that even just one undisciplined child would be a problem and not that all of then are.

I think an adult only is an excellent choice. It won't save you from the undisciplined adults, :rolleyes: but it will insure a vacation focused on more adult activities and pacing. Good luck with your search.

We are interested in the adults only Cowboys and Canyons for 2015. I don't see one offered for 2014. Is there at least one scheduled per year? Are they added on later?

We are interested in the adults only Cowboys and Canyons for 2015. I don't see one offered for 2014. Is there at least one scheduled per year? Are they added on later?

There is an adults only Cowboys and Canyons on Aug 20, 2014.

ABD does a good job not making the trip too "Disney", but does make it extremely family friendly.

I was a complete skeptic before I took the first trip to Italy last year. I've traveled around the world, and have been to Europe dozens of times (including living in Paris for 1 1/2 years)...so I consider myself a well seasoned traveler. However, after having kids, I wanted to make sure they would enjoy the trips as much as my husband and I, and let's face it, once there are kids involved, the days/meal times need to be more structured.

Disney does a fantastic job with all of that, ensuring both the adults and kids are having fun. And the thing my kids like the most is that there are other kids for them to hang out with. So its a win/win for all :thumbsup2

I would have to say that this would be the biggest PLUS to convince someone on the fence like myself. Unfortunately, at the prices charged it's just hasn't been feasible for us. My older DD20 has been fortunate enough to travel to Europe twice already on her own -with another in the works in the not too distant future...I hear. My DD16 will be off to college in less than 2-years and I know that is something she has her eye on. I could see us doing a Backstage Magic trip, but as far Europe or anything else we're(ahem) still young enough that we prefer the sense of adventure outside the Disney bubble. We had more fun driving through Tuscany than we could ever have on a bus ...when we get to the point where we just want to pack-and-go it would certainly be an option.

ABD is worth the price if you can afford it. If not there are some great alternatives out there that also offer great guides and airfare at a fraction of the price. I have done many including ABD. I enjoyed all and when it came down to it depending on where you want to go you can find many trips that are wonderful. Price does not guarantee a great trip. You make the trip what you want it to be. So if you can afford ABD great. If not don't feel bad there are some great aternatives out there. I frankly like a trip that includes airfare and is reasonable. And I have found some great companies that provide that and have great guides as well. So if you want your trip with a disney twist and pixie dust and can afford it great. If not there are many great choices out there.

Perfectly said.. Too many times people feel like they can't get a great vacation unless they go 'full' Disney. I get so annoyed when people on here tell others tat they should not go to WDW unless they stay on-site.

we're(ahem) still young enough that we prefer the sense of adventure outside the Disney bubble. We had more fun driving through Tuscany than we could ever have on a bus ...when we get to the point where we just want to pack-and-go it would certainly be an option.

It's funny how the ABDs spoil you, though, and change your idea of "bus time." Whenever we are driving around anywhere on a trip now, we find ourselves wishing very much for a step-on guide to tell us about every little thing we are passing and seeing!

So much so that for a day in port on an upcoming (non Disney) Alaska cruise, we have booked a private guide to drive us around for the day. (which again reminds me what a value the ABDs truly are. Private guides don't come cheap!)

Just because a bus is the most comfortable way to get you from one point to another on an ABD, don't think the time is wasted or boring!

As far as needing to be older, or less adventurous, to want a pack-and-go, I guess it depends on how much time your time is worth beforehand. There are some trips where I'm happy to spend the requisite hours doing research. There are others where no amount of preparation would be enough and I'm happy to let someone else do it and know it will be awesome!

Plus someone has to drive the vehicle. I for one would not want to drive in another country not knowing the driving habits of the locals. Also I want to enjoy the scenery and not worry about paying attention to the road. Our trip to Sorrento was wonderful looking out the bus window. I often found myself thinking "boy that must be 300 to 400 feet down the cliff on the other side of the guard rail to the Med." As Kristilew stated I too enjoy the guide pointing out all the points of interest along the trip.

It may seem like a small thing, but it's nice to have tons of fun family pictures with EVERYONE in the shot after a trip. I always feel awkward having to ask a stranger to take our picture and then if it's not quite right I don't want to feel like a bother for asking again. The guides always take so many great shots and are always so willing to take the same picture multiple times so everyone can use their own camera. Just another one of those little things that make a big difference.

It's funny how the ABDs spoil you, though, and change your idea of "bus time." Whenever we are driving around anywhere on a trip now, we find ourselves wishing very much for a step-on guide to tell us about every little thing we are passing and seeing!

So much so that for a day in port on an upcoming (non Disney) Alaska cruise, we have booked a private guide to drive us around for the day. (which again reminds me what a value the ABDs truly are. Private guides don't come cheap!)

Just because a bus is the most comfortable way to get you from one point to another on an ABD, don't think the time is wasted or boring!

As far as needing to be older, or less adventurous, to want a pack-and-go, I guess it depends on how much time your time is worth beforehand. There are some trips where I'm happy to spend the requisite hours doing research. There are others where no amount of preparation would be enough and I'm happy to let someone else do it and know it will be awesome!

Oh good I'm not alone :rotfl2: It's funny you mention that. We are doing the London/Paris ABD this year with my parents. However, we are arriving in Scotland a few days early as a pre-trip. Well, we are in Edinburgh for 3 nights and then we are going to Inverness for 2 nights. Initially, I was going to book us a train to get from Edinburgh to Inverness. Then I got to thinking that the train would be a new experience but I realized there would be no one telling us about everything we are seeing on the journey. I could almost see myself telling my parents, "Oh, I remember passing this last year and there was something historically significant but I don't remember what." :confused3 It simply wouldn't feel right to me, so we now have a private guide picking us up in Edinburgh and driving us to Inverness and it is the same guide who will be taking us on our Diana Gabaldon Outlander tour the following day :goodvibes

OMG, calypso! I will need that guide's info! I am also a huge Outlander fan! I didn't do a tour when I was in Scotland because of other things going on, but I did make note of every little spot in Edinburgh that was mentioned in the books. Not sure when I'm going back, but will definitely be there at some point in the next couple of years. This time I will be fangirling no matter what!

Oh good I'm not alone :rotfl2: It's funny you mention that. We are doing the London/Paris ABD this year with my parents. However, we are arriving in Scotland a few days early as a pre-trip. Well, we are in Edinburgh for 3 nights and then we are going to Inverness for 2 nights. Initially, I was going to book us a train to get from Edinburgh to Inverness. Then I got to thinking that the train would be a new experience but I realized there would be no one telling us about everything we are seeing on the journey. I could almost see myself telling my parents, "Oh, I remember passing this last year and there was something historically significant but I don't remember what." :confused3 It simply wouldn't feel right to me, so we now have a private guide picking us up in Edinburgh and driving us to Inverness and it is the same guide who will be taking us on our Diana Gabaldon Outlander tour the following day :goodvibes
What a great idea! That sounds like a fun way to get there!

Sayhello

OMG, calypso! I will need that guide's info! I am also a huge Outlander fan! I didn't do a tour when I was in Scotland because of other things going on, but I did make note of every little spot in Edinburgh that was mentioned in the books. Not sure when I'm going back, but will definitely be there at some point in the next couple of years. This time I will be fangirling no matter what!

There were quite a few Outlander fans on our Scotland ABD trip last year. One of our fellow travelers brought the book with her and we all of took a picture together in front of the standing stones yelling "Jamie!" while my DH (also a fan) yelled "Claire!" A copy of Outlander was given to one of our guides, Zoe, and she read the book too :goodvibes Hugh Allsion of Inverness Day Tours is the tour guide, Diana Gabaldon has actually taken his tour. Here is the link to their web site CLICKY HERE

What a great idea! That sounds like a fun way to get there!

Sayhello

I thought so! I had planned on flying into Inverness but could not find any flights using award miles to get there :confused: DH suggested we leave a few days earlier and fly into Edinburgh and then make our way to Inverness. So, now I am looking forward to sharing some of the great experiences we had last year with my parents this year :goodvibes

Ok, I did read all the posts so as not to duplicate. As I see most families posting here had older children, I am trying to foray into the ABD OR Tauck Bridges first trip western USA itineraries. Either Wyoming (ABD) or Wyoming/South Dakota (TB) OR the Arizona/Utah ones. This summer, my kids are: ds8 and ds5.5. It very well may be next summer, though. I am anxious to try something cowboy or American Indian because, well, I have boys and their eyes light up at the mention of that topic.

Here are my concerns: the bus transportation. My hubby and I (pre-kids) took an Ambassadair guided tour to New England for what will forever be known as that "horrible leaf peeping trip". ABD does not travel far in 7 days, TB goes Wyoming to Mt. Rushmore in 8 days. I get the feeling from the posts that ABD does busses WELL. How about TB? I saw one post from FAMILYGOBOSTON that they had friends that had done the TB Wyoming trip and would do ABD in the future. Why? We would see Mt. Rushmore, but be on a bus longer and the trip looks like about 12k vs 14k for ABD.

I really don't want to screw this up because I have my eyes on Europe and possibly Australia in a few years.

Just info about us, we do like the pampering part and would likely be disappointed if TB did not do similar to ABD. We typically do DCL in concierge and about half the time, at WDW too. I've just gotten tired of WDW and want to see the world now. (We still love DCL)

Ok, I did read all the posts so as not to duplicate. As I see most families posting here had older children, I am trying to foray into the ABD OR Tauck Bridges first trip western USA itineraries. Either Wyoming (ABD) or Wyoming/South Dakota (TB) OR the Arizona/Utah ones. This summer, my kids are: ds8 and ds5.5. It very well may be next summer, though. I am anxious to try something cowboy or American Indian because, well, I have boys and their eyes light up at the mention of that topic.

Here are my concerns: the bus transportation. My hubby and I (pre-kids) took an Ambassadair guided tour to New England for what will forever be known as that "horrible leaf peeping trip". ABD does not travel far in 7 days, TB goes Wyoming to Mt. Rushmore in 8 days. I get the feeling from the posts that ABD does busses WELL. How about TB? I saw one post from FAMILYGOBOSTON that they had friends that had done the TB Wyoming trip and would do ABD in the future. Why? We would see Mt. Rushmore, but be on a bus longer and the trip looks like about 12k vs 14k for ABD.

I really don't want to screw this up because I have my eyes on Europe and possibly Australia in a few years.

Just info about us, we do like the pampering part and would likely be disappointed if TB did not do similar to ABD. We typically do DCL in concierge and about half the time, at WDW too. I've just gotten tired of WDW and want to see the world now. (We still love DCL)

I have taken multiple trips with both companies and the perks and pampering are very similar. I think the biggest difference between TB and ABD, for the US trips at least, is that TB covers more ground and you see more sights, so naturally there will be more time on the motorcoach getting from one place to another. ABD tends be at a slightly slower pace and stay in one place longer. Although both are fairly fast paced. I haven't done either Wyoming trip, but I've traveled with both ABD and TB folks who have, and they both had nothing but raves for the itineraries. I have done the ABD Arizona/Utah trip and it's great (I've heard the same about TB's similar itinerary). There are some long bus rides on this trip. My experience has been that both companies do a good job of entertaining the kids on the bus. For the most part, though, it doesn't seem to take a lot of effort, because the kids become friends and tend to entertain each other. On the days when there are long distances between locations, both companies usually make short stops along the way at some point of interest to break up the trip so it doesn't seem so long.

Hi Donna
I sent you a PM too, sorry I haven't been trolling the boards lately;)

I concur with Bobo, my friends, 2 separate families have done WY- one with ABD. And one with Tauck and both loved their tours (kids in the 6-17 ages ranges) My friends who did both ABD and Tauck (both at my suggestion, so I'm glad both turned out well:thumbsup2) said that their ABD Italy was a tick better, but it's hard to say that's the companies with such disparate destinations.

And remember that when ABD started as a company at the turn of the last century, it was modeling its itineraries and business model almost directly off Tauck, and hoping to win that market, so the companies do things in very similar ways!

Good luck with your tour- if your kids like DCL and WDW, then I cant imagine them not likening either of those tours!

Ps - DH and I have also sworn off "bus tours" after one too many "bad" ones but I can promise you that ABD is nothing like that

Oh, thank you so much. Appreciate the thoughts. May try Arizona this summer as I called ABD and they have very similar age boys on one particular tour. And, age 5.5 on Arizona doesn't preclude a couple of us like the Snake river rafting and horseback riding would in Wyoming.

Since you imply the boys like "cowboy" things, I would also suggest staying at a dude ranch. There are very nice ones where you get your own log cabin, all the food, drinks (alcohol too) and activities are included. The one we stayed at also included white water rafting and rock climbing. Some go into Yellowstone for a day trip. We loved our stay. You get your own horse for the whole week. My kids still remember the names of their horses several years out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter