Advice - Handicapped Parking Abuser

Luv Bunnies

DIS Veteran
Perhaps someone out there can give me advice on this issue. I work at a school and many of us believe that one of our teachers has a handicapped parking permit that she is not entitled to have. About 5 years ago, she had foot surgery and got a handicapped permit to use while she had a cast on her foot. Her foot has long since healed and she still has the permit. Several people have asked her why she has it and she just laughs and says, "My doctor keeps letting me renew it so I just keep using it." This person is a special ed preschool teacher and chases kids around all day. There is nothing wrong with her foot or any other part of her body and she has admitted to that. We figure she either sweet-talks or strong-arms her doctor into letting her renew the permit every two years. The date on it is current.

She parks in one of the two handicapped parking spots right in front of the school everyday. She talks about how convenient it is and how she always has a space when the rest of us sometimes end up on the street when the lot fills up.

Many people are fed up with this woman and her cheating! My question is, is there anything we can do about an obvious cheater? Just because the doctor signs the form, does that make it legal for her to get the permit and use the parking space? I would just hate to see someone who really needs the space have to park elsewhere and walk because this scoffer likes her reserved space.

Does anyone have an experience or advice in this situation? Thanks!

The first thing is a few of you, as a group, should talk to the school's principal. Her actions, although technically legal (she does have the current permit) if improper could possibly affect how she is rated as a teacher.

Another method would be to complain to the office which actually issues the tag. Possibly they could work backwards and have a discussion with the doctor or signed off on the paperwork. This could lead to the cancellation/revocation of the tag.

Another method would be to complain to the office which actually issues the tag. Possibly they could work backwards and have a discussion with the doctor or signed off on the paperwork. This could lead to the cancellation/revocation of the tag.

Not to mention a hefty fine for the MD, up to 10000 in MN.

Make sure there are multiple witnesses to her admiting she does not need the tag. This is such a sticky issue to begin with since it involves work. Also legally you can not harass an individual about their disabled permit. This makes the situation even more sticky. I am not saying anything about your actions but what she might claim when legal action is taken against her. She seems like the sticky type.

Good luck.

She seems like the sticky type.

Thanks so much for your post. You got me to thinking what it would be like if we turned her in and she knew who did it. You're totally correct! She is the sticky type. In fact, she's very sticky. Abusing handicapped parking is only the tip of the iceberg with this woman. You know the type - as long as they're getting what they want, the rules of the world don't apply to them.

So, I'm officially letting this one go. She can park wherever she wants. Maybe karma will step in and I won't have to. Besides, she's retiring in June. I only have to see her and tolerate her parking abuse for 2 1/2 more months.

Wow! I suddenly feel lighter!!!!!:)

With just 2 1/2 months to go untill she retires I agree let Karma take care of this piece of work.

I have to tell you about karma and handicapped parking spots.

I have a severe form of auto-immune arthritis, so I must use the handicapped spots, and have a placard to do so.

At the parking lot where I pick my children up there are only about 3 handicapped spots for around 1K children's rides. Needless to say, it frosts me big time when people without handicapped tags park there for the convenience of it! And they refuse to move when somebody with a handicapped spot pulls up. One lady is such a bad abuser that one of my friends took pictures with her cell phone and gave to the school's police officer.

Long story short - she tripped over the parking lot divider and broke her leg while abusing the handicapped spot.

Wouldn't wish a broken leg on anybody, but the karma.....!

This really is an issue with us also. I caught my share on this board alone for what legally the State of Wy gave to my Ds and now myself.

With DS it is a safety issue. The shortest route from the parking lot to the store is also the shortest time for him to run away from me and dodge a car. I on the other hand would most likely forget where the van is unless it is right in front of me. I do write down the location when we are in a big city because there everything gets very confusing.

Abusing the HP does bring bad Karma and it is also an example of this teachers values on life. I don't want my child being taught by a person who thinks it is ok to cheat the system or not be kind to others. JMO

Long story short - she tripped over the parking lot divider and broke her leg while abusing the handicapped spot.

Whoa! Now that is karma!!!!

My sons' school has 2 handicapped spaces in the teacher's parking lot that are right next to the hallway. One space is extra-wide to be accessible to a van with a wheelchair lift. Besides school staff, no one is supposed to even pull into that lot unless they have a handicapped placard. The entrance to the lot is even blocked with cones everyday and a huge "Do Not Enter" sign. When it's raining (or when some poor souls are just too tired to park on the street and walk in), some idiots place themselves above the law and everyone else and park in those spaces.

So, my 11 year old has a classmate whose older sister has cerebral pasley and is in a wheelchair. Their mom has a van equipped with a lift on the passenger side. Mom occasionally comes to pick up the 11 year old and has her sister in the van. Mom refuses to leave the older girl alone in the van even for a minute so using another space and running in to school is not an option for her. She has to park in the extra wide space and get the wheelchair out using the lift. Twice last week, the mom was sitting in the van in the parking lot but couldn't park and get the wheelchair out. Her 11 year old wasn't expecting her (she thought grandma was coming) so she didn't know to come to that particular parking lot. Mom asked me to direct her to the van since mom couldn't park and go in and get her. The very next day, the space was taken again by some scoffer and mom circled around to another parking lot. The little girl knew mom was coming that day but couldn't find her. So my son and I and waited with her until mom circled back (guess what? the other lot was full of scoffers too!).

I can't imagine what this woman goes through just having a disabled daughter. Life in general is such a struggle for them and then these jerks take away the few parking spaces where she can get her daughter out? I told her to just block them in and get the lift out and take as long as she needs. If they come back and need to leave, oh well! They can wait!!!!
Just ticks me off, you know?:sad2:

Abusing the HP does bring bad Karma and it is also an example of this teachers values on life. I don't want my child being taught by a person who thinks it is ok to cheat the system or not be kind to others. JMO

Couldn't have said it better myself!

I've been working next door to this teacher for 5 years. Plain and simple, she's a bully. She intimidates people into doing things her way. This year, we ended up with two kids that were supposed to be in her class. The parents toured her class and met her and told the director they didn't like her. Then they met our teacher (who's kind and considerate) and put their kids in our class. Of course, the director never tells her why the kids were switched. I think he's scared of her!

In fact, last year I was working in a classroom that was being closed because we didn't have enough students. Our teacher was sent to a different school in the district and the aides were reassigned. The director told me I was being moved to "her" classroom. I told him (in my own diplomatic way) that I didn't think I would "fit in" over there. I said we had different styles and I wouldn't feel comfortable in the environment of her classroom. He kept saying I should just go ahead and start working in there and he would see if he could move me. I knew full well that if I started in there, I would be left in there to rot! So, I told him if it was a matter of working for her or not working at all, I would quit. I was very nice about it, but I didn't waver. The next day, he had a perfect position for me in the other preschool classroom where I was very happy. When that teacher left the district, we got our current teacher and I love working for her. I think if I had agreed to work for "her" I would either still be rotting in there or I would be working for another district.

Some people are just toxic and it's not healthy to be around them. This person is definitely toxic! But, as I said in a previous post, she's retiring on June 15. We won't have to deal with her antics after that. We can dance to a round of "Ding, Dong the Witch is Dead" and look forward to working in peace!!!!:thumbsup2

You got me to thinking what it would be like if we turned her in and she knew who did it...So, I'm officially letting this one go...Besides, she's retiring in June. I only have to see her and tolerate her parking abuse for 2 1/2 more months.
Why don't you take down the number off her tag or plate, car type and color, then wait 3 or 4 months before turning her in? Would she know it was you if you waited??
I think that doctor needs to be turned in, too. Surely he knows she doesn't need it. If he doesn't know, he should be turned in to the medical board for impersonating a doctor!!!!

I have to tell you about karma and handicapped parking spots.

I have a severe form of auto-immune arthritis, so I must use the handicapped spots, and have a placard to do so.

At the parking lot where I pick my children up there are only about 3 handicapped spots for around 1K children's rides. Needless to say, it frosts me big time when people without handicapped tags park there for the convenience of it! And they refuse to move when somebody with a handicapped spot pulls up. One lady is such a bad abuser that one of my friends took pictures with her cell phone and gave to the school's police officer.

I have another Karma situation.
One woman I used to work with used her DH's handicapped parking permit. He had a temporary one after he hurt his back. He got better and didn't need it anymore (plus, it expired). His wife used it so she could park closer to the building at work. A number of us told her that she was tempting Karma, but she used it anyway. After a while, she started to have a numbing pain that shot up her cheek, especially when it was cold outside. She thought it was related to TMJ and to her, the pain rationalized her use of the permit. After a number of months of pain, her doctor finally found out what was causing it. She had an inoperable brain tumor and died about 6 months later.

Wow. I have a handicapped hangtag I don't even use at my kid's school, for the simple reason I know there are at least two individuals with kids in the same school who are worse off than me- and we only have two parking spaces. Instead, I just don't go there, they ride the bus to a nearby area and I pick them up there. Clever, huh? :goodvibes

I have to say, I would call this person's doctor. She's still going to be running around abusing other handicapped parking slots, even when she's done at the school. Doctors do not like to be used, either.

OP, I really like your attitude about it. Personally, I agree with the previous poster that said to report her after she retires.

My kids school has two handicapped spots in the lot where we are supposed to pick up our kids. Yesterday it was pouring, so my kids weren't going to walk home. I went into the lot and the two empty spots were BLOCKED by a parent in a Hummer waiting for their child. Hello, some people DO have placards to use those spots!

It wasn't worth the grief-I drove home and came back for them 20 minutes later.

Apparently, in these parts, the county (or the state) is cracking down on the number of placards. My doctor gave me a temp tag, with the understanding that if my issues don't improve by the time it expires, he'll give me a permanent tag.

Two and a half months, OP. You can do it-you've lasted the past five years!

Suzanne

My kids school has two handicapped spots in the lot where we are supposed to pick up our kids. Yesterday it was pouring, so my kids weren't going to walk home. I went into the lot and the two empty spots were BLOCKED by a parent in a Hummer waiting for their child. Hello, some people DO have placards to use those spots!

My DW had a great way of handling something similar.

At DS's old school, there were only two accessible spaces (both painted blue and clearly marked as to what they were).

If she was there to pick up/drop off DS (with his wheelchair and walker and other gear) she'd park in the spot and hang the tag.

Every now and then, she'd find someone taking the space (or both spaces) with no plates or tags ... so, she'd just park them in! :lmao: Whoever it was would just have to wait until she and DS came back out and packed up all of his gear.

I don't know if she ever confronted anyone, but it would have been funny! :rotfl:

I have a daughter with a very rare genetic disease. As a result, she has many disabilities. This topic just gets my blood boiling.

The most frustrating part also involves picking up children at school. I have a daycare in my home and go to our local elementary school every day to pick up 3 children. Normally, I just get in the "pick-up" line like everyone else. The children wait along a sidewalk as the cars loop through the lot. On the occasion that I have to pick up my neighbor's son that has Down Syndrome, I have to park and walk to the doors to get the children. Most of the time, my handicapped daughter is at home with my older daughter but a few times, I've had to take her with me to pick the other kids up. Unless I get to the school 20 minutes before school lets out, it's impossible to find a handicapped parking spot. All 6 of the spots are taken up by disabled adults (you can tell because the hang tag is punched with the birth year of the person it was issued to). These adults NEVER leave their car. They just sit in the spots and wait for the student to come to them. There is no reason that they need the spot when they could be waiting in their car in the regular pick-up line like everyone else. I have explained to the principal that it's illegal to park in a handicapped spot if the handicapped person does not leave the vehicle. She told me that she had more important issues to deal with. The sad thing is that the principal knows my daughter because she was a student at this school for one year.

So, I then have to find a spot in the lot where I can get my daughter and her wheelchair out and then walk back to the van trying to push her chair as well as keep a hand on the DS boy so that he doesn't dart out in the way of a car.

I'm thinking about calling the police to see if they are able to do anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter