Advice needed regarding Asperger (long)

disorganization, difficulty focusing, small moter planning difficulties and illegible handwriting.

I'm a student at a highly gifted charter school and you just described my entire class(except for one who is OCD organization)

It took at least a year before the rest of our family "got it", it even took my husband at least 6 months after diagnosis. There's nothing wrong with him, he's just a little off-schedule, my sister's co-worker's neighbor had a kid that didn't talk til he was 3 and there's nothing wrong with him now. Sigh. But I knew something was wrong, I was the one that pursued it.

That led to a problem as I was much further along in the "mourning" process than everyone else. I had already gone thru denial, anger, mourning, trying to "fix" it, most of the phases, while everyone else was still in denial. So not only trying to deal with the autism, but also apparantly consoling the rest of the family. That was tiring.

The reality hit when he got approved for SSI. And when they approved us without a fight. I remember that hit me really hard, too, for some reason. It was one thing, I guess, to hear a bunch of medical terminology from good doctors, it's another thing when (essentially) the government decides your child is disabled. Like a ton of bricks.

I have a 10 yr old Aspie son, we have taken him to a developmental ped since he was 4. We did private ST and OT, he still goes twice a month and does a group class that works on OT and social skills. We spent about 8 months working with a psychologist on his OCD and he's done about 3 sessions of group social skills training.

He's due for his MFE this year, and after talking with the school psych about some of the testing to do(this one will take him through Jr. High) she mentioned about "how much we have done for our son" after talking with the staff at his school.

Told his developmental ped. this and she said if our son had other parents, he wouldn't be at the level he's at now(starting to talk to other kids, I was so proud of watching talking with his classmates during a party I could have split, A student, rarely goes to the special ed room for help). Unfortunately we know alot of these parents(met through preschool etc) and they just figure the school will handle it or perhaps they're sticking their heads in the sand.

I am so glad to see this thread. I take DS (10) for his initial evaluation this afternoon. He had been a good student, but has problems socially. He attends a private catholic grade school and I think that the teachers didn't pick up on things. This year, one of the room mothers of my son't class is a family practice MD, and she witnessed DS in class and told me that he looks like Asperger's to her. I have done reading on it, and I can't believe that I missed this earlier. He has been having signs of this since K, however I thought it was because he is a summer birthday, and is one of the youngest kids in his class, plus, he didn't go to daycare, and was around teenagers and adults most of the time.

Be sure to let us know what you find out! Sending Pixie Dust for an appointment that gives you some answers! pixiedust:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter