$$$ advice needed...

princess@heart

Need a sprinkling of Fairy Dust!!!
I have some depressing news. Our trip is planned for Jan 2007, and our last payment is November 10th. We have had so many financial burdens come up since booking the trip that we will be $1400 short for the last payment. We have already paid $3400 and we will have another $900 ready on Nov 10th. But we will still owe $1400.

Do you think Disney will allow us to take a few more weeks to pay if we beg???

We have already bumped down from a deluxe to a moderate. We have the premium package and we are going on a 3-night cruise in a cat 5 room.

What are some other options? Can we drop the premium package and pick it back up again later when we can pay for it? We have done that package before and LOVED it!

Maybe we can get an inside stateroom on the cruise, but I really want the balcony.

I've been so spoiled with Disney magic before, and this will be our last trip until we have some kids to take with us.

*SIGH* Someone please give me some good news. We have paid for our other trips way before the deadline... do you think they will be flexible this time? :confused3

One thing to consider for the cruise: I would opt for a Cat 7 Navigator's veranda if available. I actually prefer those to the open veranda, and I think you might be able to enjoy if at least as much, if not more. The other thing I would consider would be to trade down to Cat 6. I actually prefer the location of the Cat 6 to the llocation of the Cat 5s, and location is the only difference between the two.

NCRedding said:
The other thing I would consider would be to trade down to Cat 6. I actually prefer the location of the Cat 6 to the llocation of the Cat 5s, and location is the only difference between the two.

Duh... I feel retarded. LOL! I do have a cat 6. I don't know why I was thinking 5.

Thanks for the reply. :wave2:

Why don't you call a Disney reservationist and put the $900 on the account now and see if they'll extend the final date for the remainder? With so much of the total already paid, they are not going to cancel you. I think they'll have some flexibility.

At the same time, if you can't afford all you're buying then maybe you need to rethink your priorities. Sure a balcony on a ship is nice, but if you can't afford it under your circumstances, you can't afford it. I suspect dropping to an inside cabin would more than cover that $1400. On the Nassau-Castaway Cay circuit so little time is spent in the cabin, at least with us.

BobK/Orlando

Thanks King Bob! LOL

Hopefully they will be understanding. Since this is our last trip to WDW for quite a few years, we are basically taking almost all our expendible income and putting it toward our vacation. I'd hate to completely dry out our savings, but I am desperate... I know, I know... it's an illness! LOL

In December DH graduates with his Masters and in January he has a new job making more than 2x what he is now, so things are looking up! But our January trip is basically celebrating his 30th b-day, his graduation, my 30th b-day, and our 10-year anniversary. So it's a special vacation. :tink: :cake:

Whoa!!! Reality check time! You are probably not going to like my opinion, but you are going to face decisions like this your whole life and choosing to take on obligatiuons you can't afford will do more than make you unhappy. Money problems break up marriages all the time. No one wants that! Premium package when you cant afford it??? You are celebrating a coming of age of sorts and you do it by planning a premium top of the line vacation you can't afford instead of budgeting a different trip you CAN afford? One of the things we learn as we mature is we can't have everything we want. I am sure you and your husband could have an equally great time without breaking your bank to do it... And your stress level would go wayyy down. Why don't you save that premium vacation for a time and situation when you really can afford it? Think about how sweet that vacation would be! IMO - waiting for flames...

Redbudlover said:
Whoa!!! Reality check time! You are probably not going to like my opinion, but you are going to face decisions like this your whole life and choosing to take on obligatiuons you can't afford will do more than make you unhappy. Money problems break up marriages all the time. No one wants that! Premium package when you cant afford it??? You are celebrating a coming of age of sorts and you do it by planning a premium top of the line vacation you can't afford instead of budgeting a different trip you CAN afford? One of the things we learn as we mature is we can't have everything we want. I am sure you and your husband could have an equally great time without breaking your bank to do it... And your stress level would go wayyy down. Why don't you save that premium vacation for a time and situation when you really can afford it? Think about how sweet that vacation would be! IMO - waiting for flames...
::yes:: ::yes::

Drop the premium plan--and leave it there.
Honestly, we could afford to do the premium plan (really not bragging, just very careful with money and are able to save) but we never have. This Dec we are splurging and doing the DDP. That will be a special treat for us.

We did a DCL cruise last year, CAT 9. We did a CAT 6 the year before, but we enjoyed that CAT 9 just as much as the CAT 6.

If you find you are actually able to save up that extra $$ before the trip, bank it, save it. Believe me, some day you will be glad that you did. :thumbsup2

Redbudlover said:

ITA! Seriously, vacations like the one you have planned out is really for people with no financial burdens.
What happens if you return and the family car breaksdown?
What happens if you return and the roof on the house needs repair?
What happens if you return and there is a major layoff at your job or DH's job?

These are some tough questions. We have all been there. You are not alone.
Do you really want to go on vacation nickle and diming every thing you do from the Parks (souvenirs) to the Cruise (excursions)!!! Hey, it is a tough world out there...no one has any crystal balls.

I would try to cancel the entire trip....(if you can)...put alllll that money in the bank in a "vacation" savings acct for the family. When you can comfortably pay for the trip w/o needing extensions, then that is THE time to go!

GOOD LUCK!

I was doing the math...$5600 for a disney trip? Wow, that's three or four for me. ;)

In any case, I agree - I'd drop the premium plan. It's a waste really for 99% of people because it includes TOO much - are you really going to eat 3 sit-down meals a day? When will you have time to go on rides or see shows, LOL. Are you really going to use the mini-golf, and all the other extras?

I'd get the regular dining plan, and that will save you a ton right there. That's just my opinion, though, and it seems you were looking for those when you posted. I'm sure you'll figure out whatever will work for you, but while it's nice to say "i'm on the premium plan", getting the dollar value out of it is quite difficult, especially with two adults and no kids.

NED

NewEnglandDisney said:
In any case, I agree - I'd drop the premium plan. It's a waste really for 99% of people because it includes TOO much - are you really going to eat 3 sit-down meals a day? When will you have time to go on rides or see shows, LOL. Are you really going to use the mini-golf, and all the other extras? NED

Actually, we have done the Premium Plan before and it saved us ALOT of money. We actaully do 3 sit-down meals on most days. We find it a nice way to break up the day. And as for all the extras, last time we had the PP, we did a day of nothing but stuff that was inckuded in the recreation part of the package. We went parasailing, rented boats, bikes, and so on. We had an absolute blast! :cool1:

Redbudlover said:

Well, the thing is, when we planned it we could afford it, no problem.

If I had an extention of just one month (which would still be more than 30 days before arrival), I would be able to afford paying it all off and have spending money, AND have money in our savings account. It's just a matter of 4 weeks, not like we are going in debt or anything. We will be in good financial standing when we get back. I guess I didn't make that clear.

I totally understand what everyone is saying, but really I was looking for ways to make this work, not to cancel.

I think there's a ton you can do to save much in the way of $$$ and still have a totally magical vacation.

Stay offsite in a timeshare, condo or villa. Scrap that cruise and drive your car (you're only in VA -- not far at all). The price of a moderate WDW hotel for two or three nights will get you a spacious house/condo for a week, with a full kitchen to prepare a few meals in (we always prepare our own breakfasts ... saves literally hundreds of dollars).

Eat some of your meals offsite where healthy business competition still exists in a marketplace -- something that doesn't exist within the WDW confines. $28 for NY Strip at a theme park restaurant??? You gotta be kidding me! Maybe -- maybe -- at a fine steakhouse in Chicago with aged beef, but not for FL beef.

Hit the grocery store as soon as you check in to the condo/timeshare/villa. Buy your bottled water and snacks you would pay obscene amounts for inside a Disney park at the grocery store and bring them in.

I've been a diehard WDW addict and never more than a couple hours away for 30 years. I'm also self-employed and married to an artist (not exactly a rich guy). Some Orlando trips we can splurge a little; some we can't. But vacations are a luxury while mortgages, utilities and financial emergencies aren't. The magic for us is seeing the castle after walking through the turnstiles, getting a beer in Morocco and people watching, walking on POTC at least a dozen times. When financial times are tough, the "package" has to go, and we treat Disney just like any other vacation. There are many, many ways to trim the fat and still be able to go and have fun.

Several people (myself included) offered suggestions on ways to make the trip more reasonable expense wise. But I have to say, if anytime an amount of $1400 makes a big difference (whether it be a trip to WDW or having to replace a furnace), the person really needs to look at their total financial picture. You said:
We will be in good financial standing when we get back. I guess I didn't make that clear.
I don't get it. Today you are depressed about needing money, but by the time you get back you will be OK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter