Airfare to London: OMG!!!

Sigh. I see that I got notification this morning that American was down to $1520 on my route, but it's back up to $1758 now. I guess it was just momentary. :(

Thanks for letting me know!

Sayhello
YIKES! Mine are back up too. I am still hopeful that they are going to drop. I will keep my eyes open, both on Kayak and this thread :)

OK, so I finally bit the bullet and purchased my airfare. A friend I'm traveling with is flying from Boston to London, and has offered to let me spend the night at her house, then we'll all drive to Boston together the next day. This takes care of the worry of having to book a separate ticket from Columbus. So I was able to book Icelandair from Boston to LHR. The ticket was a hair over $900. So even if I end up spending the current $400 to get to my friends' place, $1300 is definitely less than $1750.

AND! There's a bonus. I'm going to take advantage of Icelandair's no-cost "Stopover" program, and spend a day and a half in Reykjavik, Iceland on my way home! :thumbsup2 I've been reading up on the Reykjavik area, and it sounds like a place I'll really enjoy visiting. I'm beginning to think I should have planned more days there! :)

It's nice to have a decision made. With my luck, the airfare will plummet now that I've purchased mine, but that's always the risk we take!

Thanks everyone for all the input! I really appreciate it!

Sayhello

Congrats on getting that big monkey off your back! It sounds that it worked out pretty well with an extra day in Iceland. I would suspect you, being from Columbus area, miss America West cheap airline tickets? We used them a lot when we lived in Upper Arlington, Oh.....

I am glad you got it worked out. That is a good feeling to be able to have it taken care of. I have been looking at alternative options this morning if the airfare stays this high from Pittsburgh. Direct flight from Toronto to LHR is $1200 (at least that's what it is this morning); we are about a 5 hour drive from Toronto. I would consider doing that for a direct flight as anything out of PIT has a connection.

Congrats on getting your airfare and enjoy your layover in Reykjavik!

Congrats on getting that big monkey off your back! It sounds that it worked out pretty well with an extra day in Iceland. I would suspect you, being from Columbus area, miss America West cheap airline tickets? We used them a lot when we lived in Upper Arlington, Oh.....
Thanks, carpenta! And heavens, yes! I sure do miss America West! Direct flights to California! Or a stopover in Las Vegas on the way there, and a direct flight back! It's sad without them!

The Reykjavik stopover sounds like fun. I'm glad it worked out for you.
Thanks, Kevin! I'm looking forward to it!

I am glad you got it worked out. That is a good feeling to be able to have it taken care of. I have been looking at alternative options this morning if the airfare stays this high from Pittsburgh. Direct flight from Toronto to LHR is $1200 (at least that's what it is this morning); we are about a 5 hour drive from Toronto. I would consider doing that for a direct flight as anything out of PIT has a connection.

Congrats on getting your airfare and enjoy your layover in Reykjavik!
It is a good feeling. I've flown to Europe out of Toronto. I had a good experience with that. I wasn't close enough to drive, but Air Canada does a short hop flight from Columbus to Toronto, so that worked out. Plus, there was a storm heading up the East Coast, and I totally by-passed it flying via Toronto...

Sayhello

Well done.

Now check out , I think its called , The Blue Pool .

Its a hot water spring .

It is well known and on the Tourist trail.

Well done.

Now check out , I think its called , The Blue Pool .

Its a hot water spring .

It is well known and on the Tourist trail.
Thanks! It's the Blue Lagoon. I've already looked into a transfer from the airport to Reykjavik that includes a stop at the Blue Lagoon. :thumbsup2

Sayhello

Good ... That is what passing information is all about.

My own planning journey is taking shape now.

Flight from Cork to Munich & drive to Vienna & back to Salzburg

& Fausch via Grossglockner Pass

OK, so I finally bit the bullet and purchased my airfare. A friend I'm traveling with is flying from Boston to London, and has offered to let me spend the night at her house, then we'll all drive to Boston together the next day. This takes care of the worry of having to book a separate ticket from Columbus. So I was able to book Icelandair from Boston to LHR. The ticket was a hair over $900. So even if I end up spending the current $400 to get to my friends' place, $1300 is definitely less than $1750.

Before your flight, visit the Icelandair Saga Shop. You can order items there which will be delivered to you on the plane.

http://www.sagashop.net/icelandair/

These playing cards are very cool:

http://www.sagashop.net/icelandair/detail/?id=57430-0007

AND! There's a bonus. I'm going to take advantage of Icelandair's no-cost "Stopover" program, and spend a day and a half in Reykjavik, Iceland on my way home! :thumbsup2 I've been reading up on the Reykjavik area, and it sounds like a place I'll really enjoy visiting. I'm beginning to think I should have planned more days there! :)

It's nice to have a decision made. With my luck, the airfare will plummet now that I've purchased mine, but that's always the risk we take!

Sayhello

Glad you got the airfare settled. I was in Iceland almost 20 years ago and I have to say it is the most beautiful place I have ever been to. A funny story, a friend of mine went to Iceland on his honeymoon in 2012 I showed him my pictures before he went and when he came back I looked at his pictures and he had a lot of pictures of the same exact places I had pictures of from 15 years earlier, the only difference was the picture quality from regular film to digital.

Glad you got the airfare settled. I was in Iceland almost 20 years ago and I have to say it is the most beautiful place I have ever been to. A funny story, a friend of mine went to Iceland on his honeymoon in 2012 I showed him my pictures before he went and when he came back I looked at his pictures and he had a lot of pictures of the same exact places I had pictures of from 15 years earlier, the only difference was the picture quality from regular film to digital.
I've heard it's gorgeous. I only have a day & a half, so I'm doing "The Grand Circle Tour" out of Reykjavik, that goes to Þingvellir, Geysir & Gulfoss. Photos look amazing, I can only imagine in person...

Funny that it hasn't changed. Maybe my photos will be of the same places, too! :)

Sayhello

In case anyone is still looking for airfare, here in the UK we can get flights from LHR to Daytona and RSW for around £460 in August school holidays, going indirect. There have also been good deals from MAN too, but most people would want LHR. The flights were code shares with VA and Delta. These dares are incredibly low for us, Brits going across the pond. It might be worth checking Delta airports near to where peeps live. For example direct from MAN to MCO is usually around £1200 and indirect around £900.

Our main school holiday dates run from late July until the first week of Sept, which of course pushes the prices up.

I see you've already purchased, but, since I am pretty sure you will be booking more ABDs in the future :good vibes if you are on Facebook, there is a page called The Flight Deal, that, well, you guessed it, posts about flight deals. Some are great, some aren't so great. You can also sign up for their newsletters, should you wish. Anyhow, on Christmas morning, let's just say flights were so low, I have friends flying from JFK to Abu Dhabi for less than $300 r/t and SFO to DEL for $450 r/t. :cheer2:

I often fly to London for family holidays so I know your pain. I was expecting horrible fares for our ABD Peru trip next August, so I was thrilled to find business class from SFO round trip for just $400 more pp than coach and still only about $1800 per person!

Hello fellow Bay Area mouse fan :good vibes You're going to love Peru! If you need any recommendations for meals on your own, send me a PM. :)

I see you've already purchased, but, since I am pretty sure you will be booking more ABDs in the future :good vibes if you are on Facebook, there is a page called The Flight Deal, that, well, you guessed it, posts about flight deals. Some are great, some aren't so great. You can also sign up for their newsletters, should you wish. Anyhow, on Christmas morning, let's just say flights were so low, I have friends flying from JFK to Abu Dhabi for less than $300 r/t and SFO to DEL for $450 r/t. :cheer2:

Hello fellow Bay Area mouse fan :good vibes You're going to love Peru! If you need any recommendations for meals on your own, send me a PM. :)

Thanks Dizneekrazee! I may PM you when I have a better idea of what's going on. I do know that we are flying home around midnight on the last night in Lima as we both have to be back in the US on Monday. I think that last night is free time, so a recommendation would be good.

Sayhello

Well, that's wonderful and it looks interesting.....

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...ik-the-layover-of-a-lifetime/article21286671/

Sayhello
Thank you say sayhello! You inspired us. Rates have not plummeted and we are thinking of flying iceland air and stopping in Reykjavik. We can fly out of Dulles which is just under a 4 hour drive for us and make a stop in Iceland. And thanks for the info about the airport transfers that include a stop at the blue lagoon; that may work perfectly for us.

If anyone still needs to book their airfare to London, I just read about a French airline that flies 757s in which all seats are business class. Here is a link to the article I read:

http://thepointsguy.com/2015/02/deal-alert-la-compagnie-business-class-nyc-lhr-1007-roundtrip/

Roundtrip flight from Newark to London Luton airport are $1,007 including taxes. Price is unbeatable for business class if you can get to Newark and don't mind flying into Luton (I have no idea where it is in London, but if you are saving that much $$ it would be worth looking into).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter