AIrline Rates are Nuts

Tori 2001

Mouseketeer
Gosh, the airline rates are going crazy!
We had to cancel a trip that had been planned for a year - the weekend of the tragedies in September. That was certainly
understandable, and the airlines refusal to extend credit beyond 30 days also was probably necessary. So we lost our
very affordable rate.
I was thrilled when I tried to rebook, and found TWA had a $94 rate advertised through Jan. 11 (we had hoped to reschedule in
December) Of course, when we went to book (Travelocity), suddenly, right before our eyes, the rate went from $94 to over $300
on the same flight, which killed out plans right there. I've been checking periodically, and while all the airlines dropped their least
expensive rates from our area (Omaha), the rate has been changing almost daily on every air carrier - $325 to $159 to $129 to $260 for
one flight in a matter of days!
When I e-mailed the TWA site (now American) to ask why, they only messaged back that it would take more time to handle my comment, and
have refused to answer since.
While I can certainly understand the uncertainties, I wish they would at least be as stable with prices as Disney is - I know what the hotel
costs and probably about how long the price will stand, and after that, what the rack rate is. But what good is that if we can't afford to
get the family there?
Air rates have always been on a whim, with a penchant for things like overbooking, locking good rates out of some travel dates and advertising
prices that turn out to have no availability from the start. If the government is going to bail out major air carriers with taxpayer dollars, I hope they also ask
it asks for some stability and reason in pricing in return.
High-fives for you lucky folks who have managed to grab affordable air fares to squeeze in a trip. It's beginning to look more and more like our
family will not be joining you, at least not this year.

Tori

Tori:

Airline rates always fluctuate. The rates for my dates were as low as $175 up to $300 and the back down to $185. They key is to know what a "good rate" is and jump on it if you know your dates.

Have you considered Priceline for your travel? I've used them a few times for airfares and got really great rates. Look over at www.biddingfortravel.com for more info on how to bid. Be aware that you cannot pick your times and you may be on the last flight into Orlando and the first flight out :(.

Yeah, those rates can be changed up to 5 times a day, or so I've been told. Some time ago, someone on one of these boards recommended Thursday AM for checking rates; that seemed to be the best time for lower rates. I've not checked to see if that's so but it would be worth trying.

When the Airlines advertise prices, remember that there are only a certain number of seats at that price. That is what is so frustrating with Airlines. You could have paid $170 RT and the person next you could have paid $600 or more RT.

If you know anyone named Christopher Sharp, Anthony Sharp or Katie Sharp that wants to go to Orlando from Omaha, we have tickets we aren't going to be using! They are for 12/8-12/15.

its called Inventory. its a game really. one must truly understand the rules to play it well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter