Airmiles Armchair Chatter

I can honestly say that Air Canada is no worse than any of the others. They all have problems and the problems are worse over the last couple of years. Basically, if your flight is even close to on time and the staff are even remotely pleasant it's a win.

Have a great vacay!
We have very low bars to meet, fully expected Pearson to be frustrating at that hour but even the TSA agents and the border control agents were more pleasant and helpful than anyone connected to Air Canada. I get that they're dealing with a very angry group of people (seriously why are people so rude to customer service??!!!) But I think we had positive interactions with one person in Pearson who noticed me pull my headphones on, grab my neck pillow like a security item and stand still in the middle of hundreds of us trying to deal with the machines not printing luggage tags and the desks not being open until after 4. She was arriving for her shift, gently touched my elbow, pointed to a desk and quietly said "go over there and I'll help you right away" one of the flight crew member was borderline friendly the rest obviously only doing the bare minimum.

Honestly I don't expect to be given the world and I'm fully aware of how miniscule our problems are in the grand scheme of things. I'm coming across as an entitled whiny rich person. How about some positive feedback? I sent a message to the front desk using the QR code that's on the TV asking if they would please put a note on our account that we're willing to move midway thru our stay once a room opens up in building 7 Within 5 minutes the room phone rang and it was the resort general manager telling me that our room on the top floor in building 7 was being cleaned and we would be able to move immediately! I was so shocked to get that level of service. We gathered up the few things we had with us left a note with $10 for housekeeping since we knew they'd need to clean it again and wandered around both resorts until I got the text with the new room number. We expected to wait for several hours because the woman I spoke to said they would be sending a cleaning crew over after they finished their current block but it was done by 4! We had to get our magic bands reset to open the door to the new room and while we were there I asked to speak to the manager so I could be sure that a tip would get to each person who cleaned this perfect room so quickly. She was stunned that I wanted to do that but we insisted and she called housekeeping to find out how many had been working on it so we could leave money with her. She gave us an envelope and poof that felt good!

We have very low bars to meet, fully expected Pearson to be frustrating at that hour but even the TSA agents and the border control agents were more pleasant and helpful than anyone connected to Air Canada. I get that they're dealing with a very angry group of people (seriously why are people so rude to customer service??!!!) But I think we had positive interactions with one person in Pearson who noticed me pull my headphones on, grab my neck pillow like a security item and stand still in the middle of hundreds of us trying to deal with the machines not printing luggage tags and the desks not being open until after 4. She was arriving for her shift, gently touched my elbow, pointed to a desk and quietly said "go over there and I'll help you right away" one of the flight crew member was borderline friendly the rest obviously only doing the bare minimum.

Honestly I don't expect to be given the world and I'm fully aware of how miniscule our problems are in the grand scheme of things. I'm coming across as an entitled whiny rich person. How about some positive feedback? I sent a message to the front desk using the QR code that's on the TV asking if they would please put a note on our account that we're willing to move midway thru our stay once a room opens up in building 7 Within 5 minutes the room phone rang and it was the resort general manager telling me that our room on the top floor in building 7 was being cleaned and we would be able to move immediately! I was so shocked to get that level of service. We gathered up the few things we had with us left a note with $10 for housekeeping since we knew they'd need to clean it again and wandered around both resorts until I got the text with the new room number. We expected to wait for several hours because the woman I spoke to said they would be sending a cleaning crew over after they finished their current block but it was done by 4! We had to get our magic bands reset to open the door to the new room and while we were there I asked to speak to the manager so I could be sure that a tip would get to each person who cleaned this perfect room so quickly. She was stunned that I wanted to do that but we insisted and she called housekeeping to find out how many had been working on it so we could leave money with her. She gave us an envelope and poof that felt good!
You do not come across as whiny or entitled. Your airport experience does not sound bad at all....it sounds very good. The kiosks are frustrating when you don't know exactly how to use them and for some reason I think people feel pressured when going through the process. Brace yourself....the ones at MCO are 50/50 as to if they work or not. You do not have to use them though, you can opt to stand in line for the counter. The AC counter is very small there....3-4 agents at a busy time. If the kiosks are not working everyone will have to go to the counter. Something to note....the kiosk (when working) should print both your boarding pass and bag tags in one step. Sometimes they will print one but not the other.....just start the process again and see if it prints which ever did not print the first time. If it doesn't you have to go to the counter. The kiosks are spread out at MCO....so find one that takes you out of the crowd and take all the time you need to go through the process. If AC is on the start screen you can use it.

Yes, the general public is so incredibly rude and nasty now. I think staff (in all places) come to work with their back up and have been so abused that they don't care at all anymore. At the airport this is much worse. I've mentioned before that I have a lot of friends at the airport.....the stories I hear are mind blowing.

I'm going to suggest that you use the ArriveCan app for your return. It is your customs declaration. Using the app you can answer the questions at your own pace. Then when you arrive back to YYZ all you have to do is scan your passports and take your picture. The kiosk will print your receipt and off you go. The customs/immigration area can be absolute chaos at times. It all depends on how many flights come in at that time......you could walk right through or there could be several hundred people lined up.

You do not come across as whiny or entitled. Your airport experience does not sound bad at all....it sounds very good. The kiosks are frustrating when you don't know exactly how to use them and for some reason I think people feel pressured when going through the process. Brace yourself....the ones at MCO are 50/50 as to if they work or not. You do not have to use them though, you can opt to stand in line for the counter. The AC counter is very small there....3-4 agents at a busy time. If the kiosks are not working everyone will have to go to the counter. Something to note....the kiosk (when working) should print both your boarding pass and bag tags in one step. Sometimes they will print one but not the other.....just start the process again and see if it prints which ever did not print the first time. If it doesn't you have to go to the counter. The kiosks are spread out at MCO....so find one that takes you out of the crowd and take all the time you need to go through the process. If AC is on the start screen you can use it.

Yes, the general public is so incredibly rude and nasty now. I think staff (in all places) come to work with their back up and have been so abused that they don't care at all anymore. At the airport this is much worse. I've mentioned before that I have a lot of friends at the airport.....the stories I hear are mind blowing.

I'm going to suggest that you use the ArriveCan app for your return. It is your customs declaration. Using the app you can answer the questions at your own pace. Then when you arrive back to YYZ all you have to do is scan your passports and take your picture. The kiosk will print your receipt and off you go. The customs/immigration area can be absolute chaos at times. It all depends on how many flights come in at that time......you could walk right through or there could be several hundred people lined up.
Excellent information. I have to be honest I'm one of those that will line up and, while I always have my boarding pass on my phone, I get a printed one. lol One of these days I'll be ready to go all digital. I did use the ArriveCan app the last time we flew into Pearson (October 2023) It was an easy walk through for that one. :) And I already have my MPC app filled out for when we fly in April. rofl

Excellent information. I have to be honest I'm one of those that will line up and, while I always have my boarding pass on my phone, I get a printed one. lol One of these days I'll be ready to go all digital. I did use the ArriveCan app the last time we flew into Pearson (October 2023) It was an easy walk through for that one. :) And I already have my MPC app filled out for when we fly in April. rofl
Seems MPC is somewhat useless lately. They don't have dedicated agents so all they do is merge the MPC line with the regular line. They have also moved the line to wrap around the far outside of the immigration hall so it takes twice as long to walk all the way around. What we have done on the last few trips was have the app ready (you can't submit until you are there anyway) and then decide once we get in the hall.

The app only stores your passport info...so if you went further it might dump that info before April.

Seems MPC is somewhat useless lately. They don't have dedicated agents so all they do is merge the MPC line with the regular line. They have also moved the line to wrap around the far outside of the immigration hall so it takes twice as long to walk all the way around. What we have done on the last few trips was have the app ready (you can't submit until you are there anyway) and then decide once we get in the hall.

The app only stores your passport info...so if you went further it might dump that info before April.
I had the MPC app all ready and once in the *grand* hall tried to submit it. (Feb 2023)
ERROR code appeared,,, 3 people US Customs/Border tried to help me but said they had never seen it before.
Oh well off to the line which had hundreds of people in it.
The MPC line had one person ................................. :tilt:
Travel with time and patience .
Hugs Mel

on the other side of the coin, MPC was A-MAZ-ING for us! There might have been 4 other families in front of us, someone who travels back and forth weekly right behind us and maybe 5 groups behind us. Only one desk open but it was very quick and painless. I had printed out a list of the food we were bringing with us, including the cough drops and handed to the agent when he asked what we had to declare since I had checked that box. He thanked me for being though and making his job easier and sent us on our way, probably less than 5 minutes from entering the area until we were headed to the gate.

I sure wish that Food Basics (who is part of Metro) will come on board as an Air Miles store. I have started doing more shopping there and it would be great if I could earn points there as well. Funny thing is I almost typed Dominion instead of Metro for the head office company name. Yup I am that old.

I got a text today from one of my friends at the airport ....she asked when DD was coming home, she knew it was soon-ish. Apparently, the airport is putting a limit on the number of flights and passengers over holiday periods starting next week. The curse words were next level. Of course right at this moment DD is due home on the 11th....it could change though.

The airlines need to start routing more flights through other cities instead of funneling everything through Toronto. The mess is of their own making. Unfortunately it is we, the travelling public, who have to deal with their (the airlines) lack of forthought.

I do hope no one here is affected by the changes.
Espeically for Flights heading to the eastern side of the country. OR...offer more direct flights from Calgary/Edmonton/Winnipeg and Vancouver.

I can't tell you the milk run we need to make from northern Alberta. IT's painful.

79wn4l.jpg

As usual I have one lone T4A outstanding and must wait for it to come via snail mail because that's how they do things...:confused3
Hugs Mel

79wn4l.jpg

As usual I have one lone T4A outstanding and must wait for it to come via snail mail because that's how they do things...:confused3
Hugs Mel
I have to laugh at this one.....went to Costco at opening this morning to grab my Turbo Tax. I came home ($288 lighter), installed it, and inadvertently began to do them. Since I will be babysitting when I usually do them, that's not a bad thing. Hopefully done by the end of the week. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter