AK or Epcot for 3 year old

WiscoMom

Earning My Ears
Hi,
Myself and DS3 will be at Disney in 2 weeks. We have 2 park days. MK for sure on one day. I'm familiar with Epcot. DS loves Frozen. He would be content enough with the other Epcot experiences.

What is AK like? Never been there. DS enjoys animals and dinosaurs. I've read some say AK is a half-day park and that's ok. We don't have park hopper. No ADR. I do have FP+ for the Frozen ride.

We just took our DS at 3 1/2 and DD at 1 in October. When we go in July, we are skipping AK. My DS loved Lion King, the safari, and Nemo. But that was it. As far as Epcot, he did like Frozen Ever After and Living with the Land. He also enjoyed meeting Baymax. I think he enjoyed the treats he got in world showcase the best :) We are doing Epcot again, as he is tall enough for Soarin and Test Track.

If he enjoys animals I'd have to lean towards AK.

There are the walking trails - Discovery Island, Gorilla Falls Exploration and Maharajah Jungle Trek: Rafiki's Planet Watch where there's a petting section: the new bird show The Great Bird Adventure and the Lion King Show and the Nemo Show: the Safari ride: the Boneyard to play around in. There are street performers scattered around, and if you're lucky you might come across Devine. Just be aware that the Dinosaur ride is pretty intense and A Bug's Life is noisy and can freak the little ones out.

It's a coin toss, but I find the world showcase to be hotter than the surface of the sun....
At least it’s not so hot (due to dense vegetation blocking any hope of a breeze) they had to install misting fans like AK.

I would definitely do AK if he is into animals and dinosaurs. Agree with everything Oneanne posted above, and Kali River Rapids is fun on a hot day. You can look at the map to organize your day, and make what FPs you would like depending on what's available, and then keep checking to get better times/modify - things will pop up, especially day before and day of - I would definitely FP Safari or do it at opening(or both - it's never the same twice!), and could FP Kali RR and Primeval Whirl in Dinoland, which is a good small, carnival style ride - as Oneanne pointed out Dino ride is loud, dark, with dinos roaring in your face, so you will have to judge if your son would like it. You can check out the show schedule on the app to get an idea of when to plan those into your day - Lion King is definitely worth seeing - great music, dancing, and acrobats. We like to do a land at a time as much as possible for less crisscrossing the park - we usually do Africa first(after checking for Devine in the Oasis - very cool if you spot her!) with the Safari, the Trail, and the LK show( and late brft at Tusker House - great character meal if you are interested!) Then we head to Asia, then Dinoland, and of course now there is Pandora to see, which depends on FP time if you can get one! Navi River Journey would be nice for your son, but don't wait in a long line if no FP - not worth that! But you can explore the land which is cool if you like. Discovery Island Trails are neat since you get up close to the Tree of Life to see the animal carvings. And of course some unique meet & greets, like Russell and Dug, Pocohantas, and Timon!

I would choose AK. My DS loved EP was he was younger but that's when Innoventions still had a ton of interactive things to do, which just isn't the case anymore. There is SO much to do with a 3-year old in AK - the safari, animal trails, Rafiki's Planet Watch, Wilderness Explorers (my DS did this for an entire day!), the two shows plus the street shows. You could have a meal at Tusker House or Rainforest Cafe which are both fun.

Thanks, everyone, for your feedback. AK is something I'll really consider. We'll probably make the decisions when we get to Disney. This particular DS can be a bit of a wild card. LOL. Hopefully, we'll have more trips to WDW as the kids grow up so I'm not looking at this trip as a "one and only."

If I have to choose I’d say go with Animal Kingdom.

But...I like the idea of doing both days at Magic Kingdom. Plenty to fill 2 days and it may be more relaxing knowing you have 2 days get stuff done.

My husband and I brought my 3 1/2 y/o daughter on her 1st Disney trip, May 2017. She loved AK! She liked Epcot; however, had an absolute blast @ AK AND.., she is an insane Frozen fan!

It just depends on the kid. Last trip the girls were 4 and they liked animal kingdom ok, liked safari, boneyard and dino-dumbo were there favorites. One of them fell apart in the nemo show, which was surprising because she loves fish. That said they loved epcot and FEA was still under construction. Loved the Nemo ride and the aquarium, loved figment, really enjoyed the mission space play-area while we did parent swap. And because there is no accounting the taste of children, their favorite thing was The Three Caballeros. We rode it at least 8 times.

To be honest, with a 3 year old I would do MK both days. It would take you that long to do all the things that you can do there. But both AK and EP have things for little ones. EP has the kidcot stations in each country. But I would probably give the edge to AK

Animal Kindgom was good for my kids when they were toddlers. The Boneyard occupied my kids when they were little, they loved it! Also, the animal trails are great fun too. But, I really enjoy AK myself so I might be partial:)

I think Animal Kingdom is by far the best park for toddlers, and especially parents with toddlers. Think about what kids that age want. They want to run around, and play, and be free. Animal Kingdom provides that the most. There are the trails, Rafiki's planet watch, and of course the best playground on the resort in the Dig. I know my kids like the characters, but at ages 3-5, standing in lines just wasn't worth it for them. As a parent AK is the least stressful park. With MK, all you do is stand in line, ride a ride, hop in the stroller or walk to the next attraction and repeat. It wears on kids quickly, and it wears on parents quicker. With AK, yes there is the Safari and Triceratops, but it's about letting your kid walk around on the trails and playing in the Dig.

After years of taking my children to theme parks, I've definitely realized what they will truly enjoy without the fuss vs. what I think they will enjoy. I really see this when I take my kids to LEGOLAND and I've seen parents there complain about it out loud. You spend all your money to go to LEGOLAND, and all the kids want to do is play with the legos and not ride anything.

I've just accepted it as a parent and it makes the trip much much easier.

Animal Kingdom for sure. My 2 year old loved the Boneyard and other Dinosaur stuff. The trails and safari are fun too, and hearing the music and seeing the shows. He will be 3 for our September trip and tall enough to ride Dinosaur, so that should be an experience :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter