Akl Atmosphere

cwmouse

Earning My Ears
I'd like to know what the atmosphere is like at AKL. Is it friendly and laid back. We don't want a place that is "stuffy". Thanks.:smooth: :smooth:

I found the AKL to be a very mellow and relaxing resort. Everyone was very friendly and I couldn't help but be relaxed when we were there.

Hi..

AKL has a very warm and friendly, homey atmosphere... not stuffy at all.

Enjoy,

>>^..^<<

The AKL is not stuffy at all! It is a wonderful & relaxing resort. I found it to be a vacation within a vacation. The AKL is a great choice. I hope you enjoy it.

...positively feel like you are on another continent!! We sat in an alcove (where a CM supervises an "arts-and-crafts" type of seminar with the kids) talking to a CM from South Africa for about 20 minutes. She was fascinating, and oh-so-friendly!! The one thing I liked about AKL was that it was unpretentious and laid-back.....sounds like what you are looking for!!

very laided back, my dad has always loved the poly but after staying at AKL he fell in love with the place and so did my mom. They will be going back for sure!

The cast members were very nice and it is decorated to create a relaxed atmosphere HOWEVER I encountered many rude guests last week.

I had a lady shove her hand in the elevator as it was about 5 inches from closing and and then proceeded to spill a glass of water all over my feet. Her apology was, "oh it's only water" :rolleyes: Yeah that's just what my suede sandals need.

There is a bank of 5 elevators and I continually had people holding/stopping the elevator and running in even though it would have been another 20 seconds for another elevator to get them.

At the pool my mother was sitting on the steps since she doesn't swim and zero entry area was packed with kids. There are a couple of areas with steps that were free. A little girls says to her daddy, "I want to play where that lady is sitting" My mom overhears them and continues relaxing. The father says, "oh she'll be done in a few minutes" Is that so? :rolleyes: Meanwhile there are plenty of other entraces to play at with no one sitting there. The father then says to my mother, "would you mind moving so my daughter can play here?" I can't believe how bold people are. The guy and his kid could have moved a few feet to the other entrance and played there. What nerve.

One day I arrive on my floor to see security and a maid talking. Apparently someone had a dog in their room.

Lots of people didn't mind butting the line at the bus throughout the week. One day a large group happily pushed their way in front of us even though we'd been standing ahead of them for 10 minutes.

Maybe something was in the water last week? :rolleyes:

Hi!

Oh, dear!:( How can people be so rude in such a wonderful place?

Let's hope it really was the water last week!!;)

Take care!

Epcotfan. after reading your posts I get the feeling that you did not like AKL.. We will be there in 12 days... I hope the water is clear til then... amy

We love the AKL. Very relaxing and a wonderful atmosphere. We love talking to the cast members, their stories are so interesting. As for rude guests, well..........they are EVERYWHERE, resorts, parks, here at home, all over!! People who are rude in their every day life are rude on vacation. And unfortunately, IMHO it seems to be getting worse. Too many people have an "entitlement" attitude. Don't let that bother you on your vacation. I think you will like the AKL.

Have a Wondeful Vacation!!!

Epcotfan -

Sorry you saw such rude people last week, but they must have been attracted to you for some reason. My family was also there last week, and we had no bad experiences with either the staff or the guests all week. Actually quite the opposite, we were impressed with the politeness and consideration of those around us!

Regarding the rudeness, I was also there last week and I could not believe all the rude people I encountered also! I think the heat was gettting to everyone. I also had some run-ins with rude people at the AKL pool in particular. Having said that, the AKL was so beautiful and there are so many things to do there. I regret that we only spent two nights there and the kids didn't get to do a lot of the activities. When we go back, I'm definately going to plan on a whole day and night just at the lodge. It is wonderful!

RE rude guests.. not at AKL but at MGM- people had been seated by the roadside for hours when a family tried to barge in right in front of them at the parade start time. Good for the family and the CMs - they sent them packing:p

I think it is the relief of the War being over and the heat:rolleyes:

I was also at AKL last week and didn't encounter any of the rude people mentioned before. It was getting crowded at the lodge the day before we left, but I found pleasant, happy people. The resort is fantastic!!! The staff accomodating and friendly. I hope you enjoy it!

We stayed at the AKL in Aug. and found it to be very relaxing. We really enjoyed it. The lodge is beautiful inside and out. Me and DD (2 yrs.old) had a great time finding Hidden Mickey's while my DH and other DD (12 yrs. old)were at the pool one day. We all loved the pool. My DD (2) liked playing at the zero entry and there were alot of moms and kids in that section of the pool.

I was at AKL last saturday and there was too many kids in the swimming pool and the green water was not an invitation for us.
The deep of the pool is ok for children but not for adult. Also there was not enough water in the slide, we can stop in the middle.

I really prefer CSR, the swimming pool is beautiful with the Maya pyramid, the slide is perfect for adult and child of 3 1/2 years.
I found that CSR is the place where you can have fun and relax two.
CSR have 3 quiet pools also. None at AKL.

AKL is very well done for kids, amusements and game all day. But after a day in the park, we want to relax a bit.

CSR is my favorite.

We will be arriving at the AKL on Sunday. We visited the resort on our last trip and we think the atmosphere is outstanding. Im going crazy waiting and its only 5 days away!!!

Originally posted by magicmouse
RE rude guests.. not at AKL but at MGM- people had been seated by the roadside for hours when a family tried to barge in right in front of them at the parade start time. Good for the family and the CMs - they sent them packing:p

I think it is the relief of the War being over and the heat:rolleyes:

Hey I had that happen at MGM last week. There was a family with two little kids behind us so we told them to go in front of us so they could see. About 5 minutes before parade time some 45 year old guy, his wife and kids shove in front of all of us. They sit in front of the line they are supposed to go behind. The father behind us starts tapping the guy on the shoulder. I thought a fight would break out. Can't believe how inconsiderate some people are. We had to get a cast member to get them to move.

Originally posted by corvair
Epcotfan. after reading your posts I get the feeling that you did not like AKL.. We will be there in 12 days... I hope the water is clear til then... amy

It isn't that I didn't like the resort. I did. But the housekeeping and rude guests kinda flavoured my visit.

We just returned sunday from a week at AKL. Epcotfan you are so right about the rude people. We absolutely fell in love with this resort. After many stays to WDW resort hotels we finally got a touch of the magic everyone talks about. The CM's treated us like royalty. Our first rooms were on the fifth floor with the enclosed balconies. They were absolutely horrible! My DH went down to the front desk and asked if we could possibly be changed. They were so cordial and moved us to three wonderful rooms on the third floor ostrich trail. Ours was a king room with a sofa bed. There was alot of beautiful plants and trees outside our balconies so we did not see any cars at all from our standard view rooms and it was very quiet. But the other guests left alot to be desired. I know exactly what you mean about the bus stop. Our family would be the first ones there for several minutes but ultimately be the last ones on the bus. It was so unbearably hot though that maybe that is why everyone seemed to be so extremely rude.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter