AKL-Savanna-Rare Zebra Born

No description as to what makes this zebra different than other breeds. Guess I'll have to Google it.

No description as to what makes this zebra different than other breeds. Guess I'll have to Google it.

Now I feel really bad! I had "Lunch With the Animal Keeper" 10/16, he was all excited about this, and I never asked him why/how this breed was different. But I believe he did say that (for whatever reason), this breed of Zebra is rather rare. And FYI, there are two other zebras at Kidani that are pregnant and due in December.

I'm excited for my DCuzes I've booked a savannah view for them in December! Should be nice to see the youngster. I'll have to visit them, we're staying at VWL.

Very cute!

According to: http://www.waza.org/en/zoo/visit-the-zoo/oddtoed-ungulates/horses/equus-zebra-hartmannae

The Mountain Zebras are the only zebras with a dewlap - a pendulous fold of skin under the throat, which is commonly associated with bovines. There is a grid pattern on the rump which includes a series of short transverse stripes running perpendicular to the dorsal stripe, not found on any other equine.

The young one does have those short perpendicular stripes at the rear.

I remember in June 2008, we were in a room at Jambo, and there were two baby zebras, which we enjoyed watching. We were in a room that was on Sunset savanna. As I recall, Kidani was being built, and may not yet have been open. I guess they much be the same type of zebra, since they are on the same savanna.

Do we know which savannah these are on?

The pregnant ones were on the sunset savannah, but they were over on the pool part of the "U". When I saw them, they were between Sanaa and the side they go on in the morning. Sorry, I don't know NSEW. I was in room #7670, if that helps.

YAY! I hope he is on the Sunset savanna, since that is what we requested for our December stay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter