AKL To Close Until Sept 1st

Because this is the DIS Board and we are DISers. :yay:

That is what we do! :thumbsup2

Well, now I am worried that my July trip is going to scar me for life and forever ruin AKV for me. I mean, we all know Disney does an incredible job hiding rehabs and construction from view - so I probably won't even be aware of the closed sections - I'll just see a wall. I'll be at the parks from 9-5. What I'll get will be like private stay in a fully functioning resort - a pool, check-in, bus system - all for just me and the handful of guests staying in the open deluxe suites, DVC units, and club rooms.

What will I ever do when I go back and actually have to share the resort with thousands of guests? Maybe I wshould switch my reservation to a more crowded and non-partially closed resort so I don't get spoiled. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Regarding the hiding of construction activity from guests, we had a savannah view room at the end of May which was made less magical by the presence of three unscreened chain link fences. This was in the vicinity of a new animal care building being constructed, which I presume has something to do with planning for Kidani. We didn't complain, as we still saw tons of animals.

Regarding the hiding of construction activity from guests, we had a savannah view room at the end of May which was made less magical by the presence of three unscreened chain link fences.

No worse than our last stay at WL. Scaffolds lined up next to the buildings. Your view out your window was through a scaffold. The workers must have been paid by the hour and were fun to watch. They were in teams of three. :dance3: One would work and two would hang out and visit. :confused3 Lasted our whole trip. :sad2:

You mean they didn't call to tell you about the lack of electricity or running water? :rotfl:

You know, I totally forgot that they told us we'd be issued magical mickey-ears hardhats that we'd be required to wear at all times, and that they were erecting temporary savanna-view "shelter" tents with cots and mosquito nets for sleeping that would give us the early member perk of a taste of what an actual safari would be like. They promised to set up temporary rainwater "showers" and an fully themed outhouse. :lmao:

You know, I totally forgot that they told us we'd be issued magical mickey-ears hardhats that we'd be required to wear at all times, and that they were erecting temporary savanna-view "shelter" tents with cots and mosquito nets for sleeping that would give us the early member perk of a taste of what an actual safari would be like. They promised to set up temporary rainwater "showers" and an fully themed outhouse. :lmao:

You know, one guy posted his Mickey hardhat on ebay....it was up to 600.00-- enough for a night at the Poly!:rotfl2:

Subscribing. We will be there in August. Looking forward to reports from those who are at the Villas this week.

With THAT realistic setup, they should be charging you more for the experience of a lifetime!

Just read on Mousesavers that the construction noise has been too much for guests to tolerate so they are going to close AKL until Sept 1st. Guests are being offered alternative accomodations in chronological order.

http://www.mousesavers.com/aklclosure.html

I saw this on the resort boards today. I'm quote challenge so I didn't know how to put the entire quote from one forum to another.

I cant help but feel resentful towards the DVC and all of the inconvienance that this is causing. They are getting a whole new lodge next year and they need the top 2 floors of the existing lodge, cancelling reservations too?? Listen Disney, if you want to turn the resorts into timeshares than fine...... count my $$ out. I am sure there plenty of other people that feel the same way. I spend plenty on an annual basis at WDW but I dont like feeling as though I have to buy DVC in order to not be inconvienanced. Big thumbs down for such a bad idea

Bad,Bad, Bad dvc'ers. ;)

I saw this on the resort boards today. I'm quote challenge so I didn't know how to put the entire quote from one forum to another.

I cant help but feel resentful towards the DVC and all of the inconvienance that this is causing. They are getting a whole new lodge next year and they need the top 2 floors of the existing lodge, cancelling reservations too?? Listen Disney, if you want to turn the resorts into timeshares than fine...... count my $$ out. I am sure there plenty of other people that feel the same way. I spend plenty on an annual basis at WDW but I dont like feeling as though I have to buy DVC in order to not be inconvienanced. Big thumbs down for such a bad idea

Bad,Bad, Bad dvc'ers. ;)

Hey, I actually had someone say to me this weekend after seeing my AKV/SSR bracelet I was wearing that it was "YOUR {my} fault" her vacation was "ruined". :confused: (she wasn't joking, either...) I don't know why I felt the need to run and hide! :scared:

Hey, I actually had someone say to me this weekend after seeing my AKV/SSR bracelet I was wearing that it was "YOUR {my} fault" her vacation was "ruined". :confused: (she wasn't joking, either...) I don't know why I felt the need to run and hide! :scared:

Oh great... Now we're walking around with a target on our back. :hippie:

Oh great... Now we're walking around with a target on our back. :hippie:

Better not wear any DVC hats or t-shirts until this settles down!

Of course, it's Disney doing this, and not the DVC members...

We're eating there on the 22nd. I am glad to hear that you love it. It will be our first time at Jiko or Boma. We loved Artist Point last month, and Jiko looks like it's on a similar "foodie" level.

I've heard such good things about Boma too, so I am breaking my NO BUFFET rule and facing my serious buffetophobia to try it. I did save it until our last night so I don't have to be paranoid that we will catch some sort of buffet plauge and have it ruin the trip. :rotfl:

Boma is the buffet BOMB!!! We absolutely love eating there and will spend however long it takes to get there from where ever we're staying!:thumbsup2 It's huge and the selection is fantastic - so unusual - and everything is good!! We have ressies for Aug. 19 and I can't wait!! :cloud9:

Bad,Bad, Bad dvc'ers. ;)

This is sad! :headache:

I called MS this morning to check on my August reservation. She said it was confirmed in the computer. I then asked about all of the reports on mutliple websites stating that AKL will be closed. I got a resounding, "huh"? She had not heard one thing. She put me on hold to go check. When she came back, she just said the same thing...my reservation for August was confirmed.

I'm calling back tomorrow to talk with someone more in the know.

The reports are that it is a partial closing. From what I have read they are closing the rooms facing the Kidani construction. Not surprised as anytime there is construction there is going to be some disruption. At least Disney is trying to accommodate its guests.

It WOULD make a huge difference to me if it were just noise that was the problem or if there would be no way to turn on the lights or flush the toilet. Noise? No problem. Like I said, I"m in the parks during the day.
I doubt I'd stay if it were noise. I do enjoy to come back to the room and relax a bit midday. I've had a few doozy headaches over the years from crowds/traveling in general/heat etc. I appreciate a nice place to rest. Sometimes I even squeeze in a nap. Sometimes the kids don't feel well and come back to rest or whatever. So noise would make an impact on our experience. We don't do the parks commando anymore.
That said, I have Dec reservations for a pool view room. I was warned (she did use the word "warn") of " ongoing construction" at the resort. The CM didn't state noise, or anything specific. Just construction. I'm just waiting to hear some reports from people who stay there the next few months.

I have Boma reservation on July 28 for dinner.

I have to say- Disney has gone way above and beyond in this situation to be sure guests are satisfied. I've been at other non-Disney resorts where there's been construction and just had to put up with it. There was no place to move me to, etc. There is no guarantee anywhere that there won't be an emergency ( a burst pipe comes to mind ) that will cause there to be noise, people being moved from one area to another, and a general "screw-up" of the vacation we had planned and saved for. I feel it's been a most generous offer to upgrade and refund current guests as well as for those who have refused, to either move them to a deluxe resort with availability or allow them to choose to stay at AKL. Since we've been told about the construction then I feel it's up to each person/party to decide whether it's worth it to stay there now or choose another resort. When BW/BWV was built, it was built to be half DVC and half a regular WDW resort and I don't remember any outcry when DVC added on to either WL or BC ( although those were separate buildings to start with so it seems unusual to me that people are angry about "DVC taking over the World". I'm sure once everything is done we can proudly wear our DVC shirts, hats, and carry our bags again. Heck, I'm still wearing mine. :-) ---Kathy

Mousesavers seems to be backtracking on this anyway. It's off the first page now. The first link in resorts says something to the effect that many guests are being moved. The next link closer to the original alarming report but I think Mary's source may not have been so reliable this time...or something got lost in translation.:confused3

Cool-where did you get that bracelet-I want one too!:hippie:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter