AKV or Treehouse villas for young kids?

Benihana

Mouseketeer
My father is a DVC member. He is generously gifting my brother and I his points this summer. It will be 4 adults total and have 5 kids all together ages 1,2,4,5,6. He owns Ssr so we were thinking treehouse but my concern is getting around with Disney transportation

I don't own but I have stayed at both and I would choose akv. I felt a little isolated at the THV. With that many kids, it's nice to be able to take an easy walk to the QS or lobby area if someone needs a little space. Most kids that age would also enjoy the animals.

The big advantage at THV would be the extra bedroom but I would still pick akv.

Of course I would book where I had the 11 month advantage and then possibly change at 7 months pending availability.

Either way - you'll have a great time. They've upgraded the pool areas at SSR too!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Will you have cars? We stayed at Kidani in a dedicated 2br (that is what you should do...and LOVED driving to the parks. The parking is underneath the hotel, so it takes a minute or two to get to your car.

Kidani is stretched out, but the pool is great...there is a splash pad area that the yount kids would love. Best option for them.

You will also have plenty of room.

2 adults in the King, 2 adults in the other room with the 2 queens, 2 kids in the second queen, one kid on the fold out chair comfortable) and one kid on the fold out couch + PNP (in room) for the 1yo. This will fit in any of the rooms. 3 full bathrooms + long stretched out porch (not chopped up). Big fan of the 2br Dedicated at Kidani.

Normally I'd easily suggest AKV over a Treehouse Villa but, with 4 adults, I'm not sure about the sleeping arrangements.

A Treehouse Villa has 3 bedrooms, including 2 rooms with queen beds, a room with a bunk, and a living room with a foldout sofa & foldout chair.

AKV has 2 separate DVCs, each with its own bedding arrangements.

Jambo House is the main building. It's more active. Kidani Village is off to the side. It's quieter.

A 2-bedroom villa at Jambo House has 2 bedrooms, including a king bed, a queen bed & foldout in the second bedroom, and a living room with a foldout sofa & foldout chair.

A 2-bedroom villa at Kidani Village has 2 bedrooms, including a king bed, two queen beds in the second bedroom, and a living room with a foldout sofa & foldout chair. Kidani also has a 3rd bathroom.

If the sleeping arrangements work for you, then AKV is the better choice, IMHO.

We haven't stayed at AKV (hoping to next fall), but although we loved the THV, we'd never stay there without a car. You could request a THV close to the walkway to SSR, but then you'd still have to haul all your stuff on your walk. Or you'd need to take a bus and then switch to a different bus at SSR. I can't imagine trying to do that with so many little kids.

We just stayed at a Treehouse this past August with 7 adults and absolutely loved it. No problems walking to the Grandstand for buses, BUT - with that many small children, it may be too far and I may not recommend it. Go with the other accommodations.

With teens, I would advise the THV, but with young kids, I would stick with AKV

With the ages of your kids definitely AKV. The pool is zero deep entry, the kiddie slide plus the playground right next to the pool and the splash pad. My boys 13 and 6 live the splash pad.

Love having the 3 bathrooms too! Plus you can pool hop to AKL. There is a shuttle can Btwn both resorts., We stay in a std room and haven't had a bad view. There is very little parking lots to view.

Enjoy the trip!

Hi,

I just put on hold the treehouse, but you all are giving me second thoughts...

Our kids span quite the ranges... So there would be my husband and I, 20, 18, 11 and 9 yr old girls, 7 yr old boy, 5 yr old girl, 3 yr old boy and a infant at 10 mths.

Would you reccommend staying there?

Our other options we are looking at are the Dolphin or POR.

we did THV this past Feb. with 3 kids, 2,3 and 4 and loved it!!! we requested near the walkway and.got it and found the walk to the main.resort easy and enjoyable. the pool options at SSR are amazing for kids!!!

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

What is all the talk with preferring a car vs using the bus system? Is it quicker and more convenient?

For Benihana and Bless7ings, I would suggest a dedicated 2BR (can only be used as a 2BR) at Kidani and, if savanna view, request close to lobby (to avoid very long walks to amenities). It is about 100 sq ft larger than the treehouse, has three bathrooms, king in the main BR, two queens in the second bedroom and a pull-out queen and sleeper (twin size) chair in the living room. It also gives you one long balcony accessible from all three rooms. Every bus has only two resort stops, Kidani and Jambo. If you have a car, you have ideal parking under the building and, with elevators along the two wings, you can park fairly close to your room. There is a Community Hall near the lobby, the pool has a long slide and a kid's water play area (with things for both little and older pre-teen, or even teen, kids). It has its own table service restaurant (Sanaa), and of course you have access to Jambo, with three more restaurants. And you have the animals.

The Treehouse seems small to me for the groups you have. Those bedrooms that each have a queen, are fairly small and the one with bunkbeds quite small. Also, I do not know if anyone is renting a car, but you can only park one near your unit. If not driving, transportation to the parks requires a bus (or walking, which can be long) to the main SSR area and then take the busses that go to and from the parks and make multiple stops within SSR. Though the driving distance to and from the parks, other than AK (8 minutes from AKV) is shorter than AKV, the combination of the time spent getting from the Treehouse to the main SSR busses and to and from the parks will likely be longer than for like park trips to and from AKV.

As to having a car, I personally consider it a necessity for the Treehouse to take to the parks other than possibly MK (which requires parking outside the Ticket and Transportation area and then tasking a boat or monorail to MK). If you have a car at AKV, it can make trips to Epcot and MGM quicker, but not really to MK (because of the need to park and take monorail) or AKV. A car gives you additional freedom such as a fairly easy drive to Downtown Disney or to a nearby grocery store but I don't consider t an actual necessity at AKV.

If you want them immersed in all that is Disney then Kidani would be better! The Treehouses are stand alone, without frills like specialty pools, shops etc.! I know you can go to SSR for that but it isn't the same!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter