• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

AKV resort Construction (not rooms!) pics

I saw your thread as soon as I posted. It wasn't there when I started typing. Sorry!

The funny thing is I saw the new pictures on Deb's site an hour or two before I posted but kept thinking you or LisaS would post about them.

I'll change my title so it hopefully drops down quickly.

Cool pictures aren't they?:cool1:

I saw your thread as soon as I posted. It wasn't there when I started typing. Sorry!

The funny thing is I saw the new pictures on Deb's site an hour or two before I posted but kept thinking you or LisaS would post about them.

I'll change my title so it hopefully drops down quickly.

Cool pictures aren't they?:cool1:

Nothing to be sorry for...I think it's funny that we posted literally a minute apart! Great minds think alike, I guess.

Yeah, they really are awesome!

I'm wondering if the textured walls are ACTUAL construction or just well themed "screening/retaining" walls.

I wondered the same thing about one of the walls I saw. But I'm almost certain that the other one was part of the closest building to AKL. There was a concrete ramp leading into the area and footers or something that made it appear to be permanent to my untrained eye.

But the first one was very, very close to AKL and at an angle such that I really couldn't tell how thick it was.

Thank you. I am glad you enjoyed the photos. I will try add more to my blog as the work continues. And I will have pictures from my stay in a new DVC Studio next week.

Thank you. I am glad you enjoyed the photos. I will try add more to my blog as the work continues. And I will have pictures from my stay in a new DVC Studio next week.

Welcome to the DIS, Linda!:goodvibes

You're staying at AKV next week? Lucky you!

Thanks for posting your pictures.:surfweb:

Thanks for the construction photos. I cannot wait to see the photos from your stay next week! Thanks for letting us know about that.

I'm wondering if the textured walls are ACTUAL construction or just well themed "screening/retaining" walls.

No, those walls are part of the existing resort. They house some utility service areas at this time and are located just beyond the parking area.

Here is a similar photo taken earlier this month. It's nice to see the continued progress! :)

9488WDW607_002-med.jpg

The photo of the parking lot is also an existing CM lot and will also be used for AKV parking. The driveway to the check-in area and pool area will follow beyond.

9488WDW607_008-med.jpg

Doc, the walls I saw were both textured. The upper one closest to the existing building and to the HCA lot was certainly not part of the current AKL as it wasn't connected to anything. As I said, I couldn't tell how thick it was. But the more I think about it I suspect it is part of the connection between Jambo House and Kidani Village.

The other lower wall that is part of Kidani Village (at least I would bet on it and I don't bet;) ) is much lower....a couple stories lower than the upper wall at least if I recall correctly.

Doc, the walls I saw were both textured. The upper one closest to the existing building and to the HCA lot was certainly not part of the current AKL as it wasn't connected to anything. As I said, I couldn't tell how thick it was. But the more I think about it I suspect it is part of the connection between Jambo House and Kidani Village.

The other lower wall that is part of Kidani Village (at least I would bet on it and I don't bet ) is much lower....a couple stories lower than the upper wall at least if I recall correctly.

The wall in the photo is also textured and is the same wall in the photos on allearsnet and earlier photos posted on the DIS and other sites. It is part of the existing AKL structure - not attached to Jambo, but part of the utility infrastructure (trash, maintenance, etc). There is nothing above ground as yet for the new construction for Kidani Village. They are still moving earth in preparation for foundation work as well as water sewage and electrical for the new structures. I have photos (taken 3 weeks ago) of the sewage pipes stacked to be laid in trenches once the earthmoving is ready for that phase of the project. The textured walls - looks like stucco from a distance - have been there for a long time now and is not a recent construction addition. They are immediately adjacent to the HCA parking lot at the far end of Jambo as seen in the photo I posted.

9488WDW607_0091.jpg

9488WDW607_0101.jpg

There is no reason to have any connection between Jambo House and the new Kidani Village until Kidani is much closer to completion ... and it's not going to be completed for almost 2 years.

The only thing currently in the framing stage is a new animal facility and it is very visible from the resort.

Stay tuned - I'm sure the new resort will start taking recognizable shape before too long! :)

9488WDW607_0111.jpg

9488WDW607_012.jpg

9488WDW607_0131.jpg

Sorry, Doc. I disagree with you. I saw these walls myself as well as the beginning of a new ramp. Which of those pictures was taken from the HCA lot? None of them show what I saw.Were you at the very top end of the lot...ie by the sidewalk that runs in front of Jambo House? Perhaps that view was screened off after my visit and you were not able to see what I did.:confused3

You were in the completely seperate HCA lot right?

The walls I saw were not connected to Jambo House. At least not yet.

I was in the lot beyond the HCA lot - where the construction security trailer is located. That's where the first two photos were taken.

Here is an aerial from 2005 of that end - with the stucco walls clearly visible. AGain - until at least the superstructure for Kidani is in place, there is no reason to build a connecting structure since it would be in the way of the equipment needing access to the Kidani area.

I guess we'll just have to disagree. I know what I saw and have documented in my photos. It sounds as though you've seen something not evident 3 weeks ago.

2005 Satellite view of AKL

I was in the lot beyond the HCA lot - where the construction security trailer is located. That's where the first two photos were taken.

Here is an aerial from 2005 of that end - with the stucco walls clearly visible. AGain - until at least the superstructure for Kidani is in place, there is no reason to build a connecting structure since it would be in the way of the equipment needing access to the Kidani area.

I guess we'll just have to disagree. I know what I saw and have documented in my photos. It sounds as though you've seen something not evident 3 weeks ago.

2005 Satellite view of AKL

Yes, we will have to disagree. I was actually there before your pictures. I too know what I saw although it is not documented. I don't know why you couldn't see what I did but it is certainly not evident in your pictures. But then if I'm understanding you clearly, you weren't taking photos from where I observed the walls.

That is a very cool aerial photo. I wish I could remember the exact angle of the walls I saw. But I believe that small parking lot was gone and the closest wall was about where that string of 4 cars was or perhaps where the tanks (?) were located. The ramp, etc. were probably in the closest area of employee parking.

As to whether it is necessary to build the connecting area yet, I have no idea. But since the elevations are so different I can imagine there may be some need to work down to Kidani Village.

Ah, how I wish I had remembered to get the camera out of my husband's backpack. But I was meeting our son for lunch rather than going on a recon mission so it wasn't on my mind. I guess I should have at least used my camera phone.:confused3

Of course since I don't know how to download or post pictures, it wouldn't help anyway.:rotfl2:

That is a very cool aerial photo. I wish I could remember the exact angle of the walls I saw. But I believe that small parking lot was gone and the closest wall was about where that string of 4 cars was or perhaps where the tanks (?) were located. The ramp, etc. were probably in the closest area of employee parking. ...

The "small parking lot" was still there 3 weeks ago- it is enclosed by the stucco walls and the air handlers ("tanks") are still there too.

The parking area to the right of the "small" parking lot is the HCA lot - which is still there and the photos I posted in this thread were all taken from the lot to the left of the HCA and "small" lot. The first photo was directed to the left of that far lot and 2nd was directed to the area above that far lot.

The walls surrounding the "small" lot are the ones in several of the photos in this thread and have been there for years.

Wow, the satellite picture has been altered! Now the "small" lot is gone...or at least most of it...and the HCA lot is duplicated. Where's the spooky music.

Well, Doc, we saw different things from different spots. I guess there is no surprise in that. But it's all good because before long I'm sure there will be much more to see.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter