Alamo Premium SUV Question

Daniel Wendt

Earning My Ears
Hello,

I will be going to Orlando in late April of 2018 and wondering what people all have received from Alamo for a Premium SUV. We will have an infant and a toddler so I am looking for a car with nice sized trunk space and also Leather interior.....have they came with leather? DVD entertainment?

Thank you for your help.

We had a premium last year and rented one for this April. We had a Yukon XL. But we had 7-8 of us most days in the car with our beach gear.

The trunk space was perfect for us but if there were only 5 of us, aka DH and I and our 3 kids, we would be fine with a van.

I will say it was comfortable but if we didn’t need to be carting around all of us (us plus my mom, sister and her DH) we would just rent a van.

I don’t think it had the DVD player but the van we had the year before did.

We just rented a Toyota ForeRunner from Alamo at $160 for 3 days out of Providence airport. No leather, no DVD. Some options can be specified when you rent the car. The other choice was a Yukon.

We had a premium last year and rented one for this April. We had a Yukon XL. But we had 7-8 of us most days in the car with our beach gear.

The trunk space was perfect for us but if there were only 5 of us, aka DH and I and our 3 kids, we would be fine with a van.

I will say it was comfortable but if we didn’t need to be carting around all of us (us plus my mom, sister and her DH) we would just rent a van.

I don’t think it had the DVD player but the van we had the year before did.
Did it have leather & navigation by any chance?

Yes it was leather but I think all Yukon XLs have leather.

It also had navigation but we were not impressed. I only used it to show my dh the bigger picture when we drove. Otherwise we drove using our phone/waze. But we drove a lot...Ft. Myers to Manasota Key beach a few times, to Bonita and Naples beaches and all the way down to Key west for 15 min-we stayed in marathon. It was very comfy which was great for our long rides. If we didn’t have the 7 to 8 of us I would just rent the van or the traverse if I wanted more comfort, but the traverse had less trunk space which is not ideal when you are going on a beach vacation. It was fine for our luggage, barely, plus there was a third row which I think the sears would fold but we needed that row for people.

We didn’t have the dvd system but did when we had the van, my kids were pissed because I told them not to bring dvds as they have their phones or iPad. Ooopsss...

The 3rd row was power which they loved! The 3rd row also folded flat but that was not an option for us as we needed that 3rd row. But we also didn’t need any more space back there. Our 6 suitcases, carry on size easily fit. When we went to the beach we had between 7-8 chairs, 2 umbrellas, 3-4 boogie boards, 2 bags and 2 coolers and I can’t recall If we had a beach cart and we still had room. When we went to the keys, we had 3-4 suitcases, a cooler, a few bags, and my sisters scuba gear in a huge bag! Again there was plenty of room for the 7 of us (8 on some beach days if her DH was not traveling for work).

In comparison, when they gave us an upgrade a few years ago from a van to a traverse since all the non smoking vans smelled like cigarettes, it was comfortable but not so for 7 of us to go to the beach. We needed 2 cars if my BiL came. The trunk space with the 3rd row down just fit our 6 suitcases and we had to keep our carry ons at our feet. Beach days were rough because the 7 chairs, etc...we had it down to a science but the ride to/from was a tight squeeze. Those seats were cloth so let’s just say my dh was not thrilled with the sand factor and vacuuming it before we returned it (stayed at my sisters so a shop vac is available). But if we didn’t need the 3rd row there would be plenty of room for 4 people. My dh is the driver of the rentals and he did say it was more comfortable then the van, but not as comfy as the Yukon...yes the Yukon was comfy, roomy!

The van while with the 3rd row up has plenty of space as compared to the traverse and it was leather as well. With the 3rd row stowed it’s compairable to the Yukon in the back but higher. Added benefit is less gas used. Although the Yukon did great but we had a lot of highway mileage.

I can’t tell you how it drove since I didn’t drive it but I hear it was wonderful! We want one but can’t afford the $$$$. So 10 days in paradise for $950 will have to do in 3 weeks and 2 days.

Other things it had was the satellite radio which everyone hated me listening to the 70s! The phone connects so if you get texts it will show up, that was a surprise. There was a charging thing to put your phone on...I think...but none of our phones had that ability. It told you when there was a car to your side but I think we disabled that. I forget what else but every time I looked at something on the screen I couldn’t figure out how to get back to the radio so we had to turn it off then back on. Oh it took my songs, you know 80s rock and we listened to them.

Last year we paid for a 7 seater van. My dh forgot to do the skip the counter so off we went. They asked if we wanted to upgrade to the 8 seater van as it had a little more storage space plus the 8th seat would be good if we all went to dinner (DH, me, our 3 kids, my mom, my sister and her DH). So for $100 more we said yes. Well they had no 8 seater vans so they brought out a Ford 8 seater SUV. I opened the back and said no. It had the space of the traverse back there and that wouldn’t do. The Alamo lady said “food down the seat”. Um...no then what is the purpose of the 8 seats. So out came the Yukon...we were hooked! So as soon as we came home last year or as soon as I could book, I looked and for $2000 I could get a Yukon for 10 days in April. Um...no. I considered getting a Costco membership but my sister has one so she could be there when we rent it with her membership card/name on the reservation too as she is 15 min from the airport but my dh said check BJs since we have that membership. And yep it was under $1000. A few days ago I saw a premium but it was an 8 seater Yukon xl or compairable for $100 less but I need that 8th seat guarantee.

Ok so that is more then you wanted to know, but if you Can swing the hefty rental fee and don’t mind driving something that big and wide then rent it. I personally think it’s more then what you need for the 4 of you but it is comfy and I can’t wait for my butt to be in the seat in a few weeks!

We had a premium booked once, years ago. They would not give it to us, it was a bizarre fight at the Alamo office. There was one sitting right outside the office, I think they had it there to get someone to upgrade or something. After arguing for 1/2 hour, 95 degree heat, 4 kids, one in a WC, waiting impatiently, we were able to get them to give us a 8 seater minivan, the Toyota Sienna. We refused the 7 seater minivan, we had 6 people, WC, luggage.

I will admit, we got the Premium SUV for a strangely low price, it came in lower than a minivan or mid SUV when I booked it. But no funny business with codes, I just used Costco travel links (we are members).

And I have rented with Alamo often, this was just a weird situation, I have no idea why it happened.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter