• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Alamos Great Rate on SUV's

Maleficent2

DIS Veteran
t

I tired to book an SUV here in Chatt. at Alamo and they do not stock SUV's so I called Enterprise to see if they would meet the deal and to my surprise they said of course.

We now have a SUV booked for 7 days unlimited mileage

http://www.alamo.com

to view the deal!

too bad they could not throw in a Character breakfast! LOL

Mal

I went to the link, but it says the compact car is $130 a week, the SUV is $220. It says the Compact/SUV special starts at $130 a week. $220 isn't a bad rate tho...

We have a code in the paper today for $199 for an SUV out of orlando from Alamo. The code is US. Does say though that there may be a 10% charge for off site rental. Don't kow if that means the one that serves the airport or the others around town.

can we drive it out of state?????????????

I have never heard of such a restriction...is there one??????????

it is unlimited mileage and Chattanooga is right on a 3 state lines I do not know how they could restrict this. You drive into 3 states just by driving to South Pittsburg(30 miles from here and in Tenn) from Chattanooga.

Mal

Yep, sometimes there are such restrictions, they can and do restrict you. Just checking, would hate to see you get into trouble. You are driving to WDW with this, right?

In what circumstances do they do this? I really had never heard of such a thing.And how do you find this out do they volunteer this info or do you have to force it out of them?

We are well over 25 and have full coverage Insurance.Our Auto is so good that we do not even international coverage when we go out of the country.

thanks

Mal

"can we drive it out of state?????????????"

I was going to mention this to you as well, but I see that someone already has. I know from last years experience in getting a rental where unlimited mileage was a must, I learned that while Alamo had unlimited mileage, we were restricted to going only as far as what they considered the tri-state area. As I recall this was Arkansas, Kansas and Missouri for us. Anything past that we would have been charged mileage on. And no, they don't make that information readily available. I did my checking online and made the reservation by phone. I don't recall where on the website I ran onto this information, but it was a icon labled details somewhere in the process of checking availability and rates. I called to get more details and they never mentioned it. When I asked if the miles were unlimited they said yes. I decided better safe than sorry, so I asked about the tri-state thing and they said, well yeah, if you go past those states then there's a per mile charge. So yes, you do have to force it out of them. If I were you, I'd call and make sure this is not the case for you. Without going into details on my horrendous experience last summer with National, no matter what they tell you about the rate or mileage charges, make them give you a written confirmation. I have yet to find a car rental agency I'd recommend to anyone!

My dad just rented a Ford Excursion from Hertz for 14 days/unlimited mileage. He told the woman at Hertz we were driving to Florida, she didn't seem fazed by it.

Just wanted to let you know....I did a quick check on the Alamo website and I couldn't find anywhere about limiting you to a certain area with unlimited mileage. I went to Dollar just to see about them and I did find where, at least here in Oklahoma, we are limited to all the surrounding states for unlimited mileage. So, maybe Alamo has changed. I sure hope so. My advice still stands about the written confirmation on any car reservation.

I am not renting from Alamo.

I am renting from Enterprise.

I will check the website and see what it says.

I can not find anything on the site about restrictions if someone can please let me know.

Thanks

Mal

I am not doubting anyone's word just have never heard of this befor today.

Being that we are really only 1 state away from Fl I can not see the problem.Now if we were driving to California then maybe.

I will give them a call.

Mal

Maleficent2

My apologies! I usually make a point of reading the original post everytime I respond to something just so I won't make dumb mistakes and here's a perfect example of why I do it!:D I forgot you had made the actual reservation with Enterprise. We have rented from Enterprise before and actually took the car from OK to Fl, with unlimited mileage(just about the same distance for us as California). As I recall in all my researching for rental cars last year, I only ran into 2 that had restrictions on their unlimited mileage, Alamo and Dollar.

Could someone let me know if Hertz has any such restrictions? I know my dad specifically told the woman we were driving to Florida but now I'm getting nervous! We also have to drive into Logan Airport to get the Excursion b/c I guess the large SUVs are only available at certain locations.
Thanks!!

The Duchess,
My suggestion is to call Hertz.

Mal,
That is my suggestion to you also.

I just want to back up what others have said: it is very common for car rental agencies to charge BIG fees and/or extra mileage rates if you take the car out of state, or out of a specified group of states. I just read a newspaper article about someone who drove a car out of California and was charged over $1000 extra as a result!

The car rental agencies are not good about telling you this up front. The info is often "buried" in the small print of your rental agreement. For those using a frequent renter program like Emerald Club, Fastlane, or Hertz #1 Club, you signed a "master rental agreement" whenever you registered for the program. You may have agreed to such restrictions without even realizing it.

Whenever you intend to take a rental car out of state, ask specifically about any extra charges, and GET THEM IN WRITING!

Mary
MouseSavers.com

Wow, these rental companies are really poorly run! When my dad called Hertz to check back on the rates, he was told that the Excursion DID NOT have unlimited mileage, only the Expedition. SO, we ended up renting the Expedition. He did ask about the state restriction and they told him there was none. We will DEFINATELY be reading the fine print when we go to pick up the car. It will probably change again by then!
Bad feeling that we will be going with our original plan of taking two separate cars.
Also, FYI on Rental Insurance...my agent told me that your own insurance will cover you in the rental car same as in your own car EXCEPT if the car is stolen or damaged. For every day the car is in the garage being fixed (ie...any day it could have been rented) YOU will be charged the rental fee and your insurance WILL not cover that.
NOT only this, but we are staying over our first night in Fredericksburg, Virginia and now I have to worry about the psycho shooting people in that tri-state area.
I'm starting to think flying is safer!
:mad:

Duchess...I absolutely hate renting cars. It's more than the company's are poorly run, most of them are absolutely dishonest and deceptive. I think they charge such competitive rates to get you in the door that they feel like they have to gouge in ways you don't see ( till it's too late) in order to make money. Thank goodness you checked on that rental, now just to be sure they give you that written confirmation with all the details in print. Oh and I got the same information from my insurance agent too..no coverage for the loss of availability and I was liable for it.

peachgirl,
I do have to respectfully disagree with you. I think they are run quite well, at least the ones I do business with. The unfortunate thing is most people don't read the agreements and don't ask enough questions. While I do dislike having to grill someone for information, it is becoming more and more necessary to do so, for everything.
I know what I am going to pay with all taxes, fees, etc. before I enter the agency or go to the counter. I say no to anything additional, my insurance company does cover me for loss of use, and no to upgrades.
My rule is to read everything, ask all questions and then book.
It is, indeed a pain, but, it prevents a lot of unwelcomed suprises later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter